Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That explains a LOT.

If they think you ARE one they won't bother with you. You've accepted what they're selling.

Oh please. Most of them know I'm not. I know a couple where one is and one isn't and the non isn't forced to do anything.

Sad how much bigotry is still in the world, and most don't even realize they are.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh please. Most of them know I'm not. I know a couple where one is and one isn't and the non isn't forced to do anything.

Sad how much bigotry is still in the world, and most don't even realize they are.

I don't like the precepts of Scientology but calling me a bigot, if that's what you're doing, is way out of line. Sorry, but bigots spread hate and preach intolerance and I have a knee-jerk reaction to being included with that kind of evil because that's not how I live my life.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, let's bring this thread back on track. Otherwise I'm going to close it for a while while we all cool off.

Or make a new thread in politics and religion.

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Katie Holmes was spotted without her ring and has also fired her security team (read: Tom's security team).

FREE KATIE!

FAR AWAY HOLMES!

HOLMES ALONE!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't like the precepts of Scientology but calling me a bigot, if that's what you're doing, is way out of line. Sorry, but bigots spread hate and preach intolerance and I have a knee-jerk reaction to being included with that kind of evil because that's not how I live my life.

While it's not extreme by any stretch of the word, how is what you're saying NOT intolerance and hate?

And I don't think you're an extreme bigot, just misguided on this one particular issue. That's all. Absolutely do NOT think you are evil.

Why is Katie Holmes the saint in all this? Just curious, why is it that Tom Cruise is the bad guy? Or why do people think he's the bad guy and Katie can do no wrong? Interesting question that might relate to how the woman always gets the sympathy in divorce cases.

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While it's not extreme by any stretch of the word, how is what you're saying NOT intolerance and hate?

And I don't think you're an extreme bigot, just misguided on this one particular issue. That's all. Absolutely do NOT think you are evil.

Why is Katie Holmes the saint in all this? Just curious, why is it that Tom Cruise is the bad guy? Or why do people think he's the bad guy and Katie can do no wrong? Interesting question that might relate to how the woman always gets the sympathy in divorce cases.

I KNEW I shouldn't have gotten into this thread, lol. Maybe I'll post more if a thread is started in P&R. I appreciate that you don't think I'm evil.

I'll stick to Katie: She's wholesome and the girl next door. America loves the girl next door.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which was my point. That religion is extreme in practice compared to most religions and if she had problems with it you could see how easily it could play into marital problems.

Ofcourse this all speculation until she makes a statement.

Of course now it's being claimed she was afraid he was sending Suri off to some hardcore Scientology school/camp.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course now it's being claimed she was afraid he was sending Suri off to some hardcore Scientology school/camp.

Good enough for her, but not her daughter?

Personally, I don't get changing your religion in order to get married or because you are getting married, unless the new religion you are embracing is similar to your own. Going from Catholic to Scientologist? Seems like a mighty big jump to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally, I don't get changing your religion in order to get married or because you are getting married, unless the new religion you are embracing is similar to your own. Going from Catholic to Scientologist? Seems like a mighty big jump to me.

I'm not sure if she actually converted herself did she? the story is Scientology denies it, they said nobody under 16 is ever allowed in this camp/school. But ex members insist kids as young as 5 are in the camps and it's almost like a military situation and that is apparently what scared Holmes.

the claim is the 2 had been arguing over that and she ultimately decided the best action was file for divorce and get custody of her daughter.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if she actually converted herself did she? the story is Scientology denies it, they said nobody under 16 is ever allowed in this camp/school. But ex members insist kids as young as 5 are in the camps and it's almost like a military situation and that is apparently what scared Holmes.

the claim is the 2 had been arguing over that and she ultimately decided the best action was file for divorce and get custody of her daughter.

Hmm. I am not sure either, now that you mention it. It certainly seemed as though she did.

BTW, I don't disagree with her decision. I guess I still question the entire marriage in the first place.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are have been stories that the religion has been very intrusive in their lives and she has always felt uncomfortable with the situation. Although I agree that I don't get it either...the simple answer is people who fall hard for other people are willing to do anything no matter how radical of a change it is. People do it all the time.

Also in terms of all this bigot talk....a bigot is someone who is intolerant of other views and hates a given group of people based on their own opinions regardless of facts. I have already said my peace with Chap but there is a difference between hate and pessimism or your dislike of something based on the facts you have in front of you. I love the recently converted member of my family regardless. I am tolerant of their religious beliefs. However, I am also convinced that the facts point to cult like behavior within those religions mentioned above which understandably would put pressure on any relationship if one member of that marriage is not fully committed to that religion.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are have been stories that the religion has been very intrusive in their lives and she has always felt uncomfortable with the situation. Although I agree that I don't get it either...the simple answer is people who fall hard for other people are willing to do anything no matter how radical of a change it is. People do it all the time.

Guess that's part of the reason I am 40 and single.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes reach divorce settlement

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/tom-cruis...divorce-settlement-two-weeks-after-split.html

Holmes and Cruise. (WireImage)Well, that was fast. Less than two weeks after Katie Holmes surprised Tom Cruise with divorce papers to end their five-year marriage, the Hollywood stars have already settled. According to the actress’ attorney Jonathan Wolfe, “the agreement has been signed. We are thrilled for Katie and her family and are excited to watch as she embarks on the next chapter of her life … We thank Tom's counsel for their professionalism and diligence that helped bring about this speedy resolution."

Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, also told TMZ: "The Tom Cruise-Katie Holmes case has been settled with a signed agreement. Tom is really pleased we got there, and so am I."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was quick - probably ordered to do so to keep Scientology out of the news in a negative light.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate myself for posting on this subject!!! :mad:

My comments are these" "I DON'T CARE, I DON'T CARE, I DON'T CARE!!!! I JUST LIKE TOM CRUISE MOVIES (for the most part)!! I don't care if he's a GD ax-murderer in real life, I just like his films!!!

As for Katie Holmes, the high point in her career might just be her bit-part in "Muppets from Space." Sorry.... I just never been a fan of her... :shrug:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Katie Holmes enrolls Suri in Catholic school

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/20120716katie-holmes-enrolls-suri-catholic-school.html

Katie Holmes has enrolled her six-year-old daughter into the same Catholic school Lady Gaga once attended.

The 33-year-old actress - who was given primary custody of Suri after her divorce settlement with estranged husband Tom Cruise was agreed last week - wants her little girl to be educated at New York's Convent of the Sacred Heart School and she will start there this autumn.

Katie is said to be keen for Suri to get a Catholic education instead of the Scientology upbringing Tom reportedly wanted her to have.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Katie is said to be keen for Suri to get a Catholic education instead of the Scientology upbringing Tom reportedly wanted her to have.

You can't get more Catholic then that school. Caroline Kennedy went there after JFK's assassination.

There's a Sacred Heart way to sit, BTW. Straight back and legs demurely crossed at the ankles. Never at the knees. Sacred Heart graduates are very easy to pick out of a crowd.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She didn't waste any of her time getting her kid away from Scientology and getting her family back to Catholic roots did she? If that is not a telling sign I don't know what is.

Also, purely speculation on my part but it's also odd how fast they settled. All reports said that Tom was devastated and shocked and that he was begging her to fly out to him. So, something tells me that that her not bad talking Scientology and Tom was part of the settlement. She got what she wanted in terms of primary custody and taking control of Suri.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
She didn't waste any of her time getting her kid away from Scientology and getting her family back to Catholic roots did she? If that is not a telling sign I don't know what is.

Also, purely speculation on my part but it's also odd how fast they settled. All reports said that Tom was devastated and shocked and that he was begging her to fly out to him. So, something tells me that that her not bad talking Scientology and Tom was part of the settlement. She got what she wanted in terms of primary custody and taking control of Suri.

Wrong. Just shows that you can't believe anything you read in the media, yet most people buy it hook, line and sinker. Like you apparently have. Come on Daren, I give you more credit that THAT.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong. Just shows that you can't believe anything you read in the media, yet most people buy it hook, line and sinker. Like you apparently have. Come on Daren, I give you more credit that THAT.

Okay Chap, then why don't you share what you apparently know about the Katie Holmes/Tom Cruise divorce.