Fitzgerald calls out Floyd

anks106

Registered
Reaction score
before we jump to conclusions lets at least give the kid a chance.. looks like yesterday Floyd tweeted a happy birthday out to his sister.. maybe its just a family first thing?

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
before we jump to conclusions lets at least give the kid a chance.. looks like yesterday Floyd tweeted a happy birthday out to his sister.. maybe its just a family first thing?

No go. Fitz was at a family reunion on Saturday.

(You can learn a TON on twitter.)

The HOF game is in 27 days and Floyd has a chance to be practicing with the teammate who is the best WR in the game today.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Larry is just pushing the kid to work harder

I dunno. I've followed Larry on Twitter for a long time and maybe someone can refresh my memory, but I can't recall any time he has called anyone out like this. He's got 1.3M followers on Twitter. Not good for Floyd.

"Don't want it" is a big slap in the face. And there was no smilie next to it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he's just trying to light a fire under kids butt but this is precisely why I was so leery of the pick. The Cards have a long history of avoiding kids with histories like Floyd's, at least early in the draft.

Hopefully this is the wakeup call he needs, we used a very high pick and will be paying him good money so we really can't afford him to fail just on work ethic.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
This is off topic, but did anyone else know that there is a ceramic company called "Fitz and Floyd"? Not sure we can incorporate that association into our beloved team, but I thought it was a weird coincidence when I did a Google search.

http://www.fitzandfloyd.com/

Personally I would love salt and pepper shakers that are themed like our #1 and #2 receivers. I think some hardcore lobbying should happen to make this happen.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The #1 WR taken already got a DUI, again

The 49ers WR is barely making the team

Half the remaining 1st round draft picks are holding out

Our WR isnt keeping up with Fitz' work ethic. Say it isnt so. Why is it always us?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm more than a bit uncomfortable with Fitz calling the kid out publicly in the offseason.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
In reply:
MichaelFloyd ‏@MichaelMFloyd
@LarryFitzgerald @wellefast I didn't take food off your table today. Tomorrow I will though.

No idea what that means.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
In reply:
@LarryFitzgerald @wellefast I didn't take food off your table today. Tomorrow I will though.

No idea what that means.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
No go. Fitz was at a family reunion on Saturday.

(You can learn a TON on twitter.)

The HOF game is in 27 days and Floyd has a chance to be practicing with the teammate who is the best WR in the game today.

Um, he didn't say third DAY in a row, he said third workout in a row. Fitz was at his family reunion and could have missed a day of working out or maybe he didn't because his Reunion is conveniently in Minnesota where they are practicing. I don't think Floyds sister lives in Minnesota do you? We don't even know why he wasn't there?

You don't have to be at Camp Fitz in Minnesota to have a productive offseason. Guys have and will continue to be successful outside of living in Fitz Lake house each summer.

So without knowing why he wasn't there for 3 different voluntary practices/Bikram Yoga Sessions in MINNESOTA we are making mountains out of moles so far.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
In reply:

No idea what that means.

Fitz is notoriously a cheapskate. And Floyd is making fun of that by saying he is going to eat all his food at his Minny Lake house.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In reply:

No idea what that means.

He'll be there, ready to go, come tomorrow.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In reply:

No idea what that means.

I think it means I'm going to show up tomorrow and outplay you, which if so is the type of response we want to see. take the challenge on.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, he didn't say third DAY in a row, he said third workout in a row. Fitz was at his family reunion and could have missed a day of working out or maybe he didn't because his Reunion is conveniently in Minnesota where they are practicing. I don't think Floyds sister lives in Minnesota do you? We don't even know why he wasn't there?

You don't have to be at Camp Fitz in Minnesota to have a productive offseason. Guys have and will continue to be successful outside of living in Fitz Lake house each summer.

So without knowing why he wasn't there for 3 different voluntary practices/Bikram Yoga Sessions in MINNESOTA we are making mountains out of moles so far.

Except nobody here posted it on Twitter, Fitz did.

maybe it's an inside joke but doesn't seem like it.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Except nobody here posted it on Twitter, Fitz did.

maybe it's an inside joke but doesn't seem like it.

What does that have to do with anyone one of us actually knowing why Floyd missed 3 practices slash bikram yoga sessions? Did I miss that part of the Tweet? All we know was he wasn't in Minnesota and absent the other part of the equation I am not going to exactly wring my hands over it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anyone one of us actually knowing why Floyd missed 3 practices slash bikram yoga sessions? Did I miss that part of the Tweet? All we know was he wasn't in Minnesota and absent the other part of the equation I am not going to exactly wring my hands over it.

Fitz wouldn't have gone to the trouble of tweeting about it if he didn't like it. If Fitz doesn't like him missing those 3 workouts, I don't either. I don't think anyone is wringing their hands over it at this point.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think Fitz is a pretty self aware dude. He understands the ramifications of publicly calling out a rookie in all seriousness. And Fitz calls out people jokingly ALL THE TIME on Twitter. He was calling a Kurt Warner old man the other day. I gotta believe that if Fitz was reallyupset with Floyd, he would have said something in private to him. Not to mention they live together and families are real tight.

I am not saying its unequivally nothing, but its defintely not anything to get worked up about.

FWIW Floyd was the hardest working guy at ND, so this isn't exactly something I am worried about. Notorious work ethic as seen here:

http://notredame.247sports.com/Arti...chael-floyd-to-return-for-senior-season-11271

“Michael is one of those kids at our school that’s here non-stop,” former Cretin-Derham Hall assistant coach Andy Bischoff told BlueandGold.com in a 2007 interview. “This is really a home away from home. He’s here early in the morning to study for school. He’s here on the weekends to work out with the school’s work-study program. And I think he’s looking for a similar relationship with his college; a place that feels like a family to him.”

So Floyd put forth a plan that was ultimately put into action, and carried Floyd through his prep years.

“He is just such a wonderful young man,” Romero said. “He arranged a multi-bus route to get him to the school well before regular hours so he could help pay his tuition through a work-study program. He would do his homework after sports practices on the bus ride home.

“He never complained. Instead, he felt that even though he had to work almost twice as hard as his classmates, he was the one being rewarded.”

“As I have said many times, I have never had a player work as hard as Michael,” Kelly said. “That work ethic and passion for football proved to be contagious in our locker room and it was not a coincidence that he represented the offense as a gameday captain more than any other player this year. I'm happy Michael feels it is in his best interests to return to Notre Dame to continue his education and I look forward to the expanded leadership role he'll have with the team this year.”

and here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhkco2_kelly-talks-about-floyd-s-work-ethic_news

and here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/notre-dame-football/post/_/id/6296/floyd-becomes-highest-nd-pick-since-94

"I could not be happier for Michael and his family," coach Brian Kelly said in a statement. "I've said many times I have never coached a person as talented as Michael, and his selection tonight shows that. Michael's work ethic and passion for football are unparalleled and fans of the Cardinals will love the productivity he'll bring to Arizona’s offense."

And Here:

http://articles.wsbt.com/keyword/michael-floyd/featured/3

Throughout last season, Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Michael Floyd "set the bar" in terms of work ethic in practice, he was the example for everyone else

and heres people making fun of the EXACT situation on this board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a6e38e/article/larry-fitzgerald-charges-michael-floyd-with-dwi

Though it's more fun to read into this as Fitzgerald angrily blasting Floyd's porous work ethic, the reality is likely far more innocuous. But if you're an Arizona Cardinals fan-fiction writer looking for a hot angle, here's the start of your next piece.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Love how the people who blasted the pick just pat themsleves on back without you know, actually thinking about it and looking into it.

My guess is this is much ado about nothing. As usual.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Fitz is notoriously a cheapskate. And Floyd is making fun of that by saying he is going to eat all his food at his Minny Lake house.
Haha, 120 million dollar man gets rookies to buy food for him. I guess if you can get a free meal, you take it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Whatever the intention, I am glad this is happening now rather than in season. We will see.

My entire issue with drafting Floyd was more about our QB situation than it about his work ethic or off-field issues. I still feel we gave our QBs the keys to a ferrari and they don't even have their driver's permit yet.

Last edited: