2012 Arizona Diamondbacks season thread - April Edition

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

We've scored 4, 5, 5, and 7 before this loss. I have to wonder exactly what team you've been watching.

Thank you for pointing that out...

Offense has carried the team to date...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Well, that sucked. Might as well pack it in for the rest of the season. If we can't even beat the lowly Padres, how will we ever win the NL Crown?

:bang:

(Looks over at Lincecum getting shelled by the Rockies)

Never mind.

:D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
:confused:

We've scored 4, 5, 5, and 7 before this loss. I have to wonder exactly what team you've been watching.

Thank you for pointing that out...

Offense has carried the team to date...

Here are the facts thus far - which, hardly suggest "offense has carried the team to date"...

Batting Average: 23rd in MLB / 13th in the NL
Hits: 26th in MLB / 14th in the NL
Avg. w/Runners in Scoring Position: 29th in MLB / DEAD LAST in the NL

Now, we are ranked 15th in MLB in Runs, and 8th in the NL... largely because we rank 9th in Walks in the majors and 6th in the NL. Therefore, our OBP has us at 11th in the majors and 6th in the NL.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are the facts thus far - which, hardly suggest "offense has carried the team to date"...

Now, we are ranked 15th in MLB in Runs, and 8th in the NL... largely because we rank 9th in Walks in the majors and 6th in the NL. Therefore, our OBP has us at 11th in the majors and 6th in the NL.

Five games into the season those numbers mean squat. Talk about statistical abuse.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Five games into the season those numbers mean squat. Talk about statistical abuse.

Just quoting the facts - which, when they counter your statement it apears you take exception to?? Funny...

The team has started slowly from an offensive perspective - which was my point. The facts that support my position are undeniable.
Of course it's early in the season and I would hope that in another 4-5 weeks, our position in these categories would be much different. However, the facts remain crystal clear - through 5 games, our bats have been lacking... seriously so.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

We're 4-1 so far and only 5 games into a very long season. If May comes along and were still struggling to hit the ball I'll get worried.

Even last season, we didn't post gaudy stats, but we won games.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just quoting the facts - which, when they counter your statement it apears you take exception to?? Funny...

I have a professional history of dealing with statistics. Trying to make me look hypocritical when it comes to statistical relevance only makes you look foolish here. My suggestion is to stick to sales. ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I have a professional history of dealing with statistics. Trying to make me look hypocritical when it comes to statistical relevance only makes you look foolish here. My suggestion is to stick to sales. ;)

You never let an opportunity to pat yourself on the back slip by do you??

I am so not trying to make you look foolish - you've done that all by yourself.
I made a point that thus far (merely 5 games into the season), our offense has been lacking. Can you legitimately offer a proper counter to that point? If runs scored is your only defense, well - I'll concede that we are at best middle of the pack in that specific category. Though, my point was not about Runs Scored as I clearly stated our "offense" is lacking. Therefore, the facts I presented clearly and undeniably support my point.

And no worries - I have zero intention of shifting away from sales. ;)

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score

Batting average, hits, Avg with runners in scoring position? 162 games into the season, those numbers don't mean squat.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We're 4-1 so far and only 5 games into a very long season. If May comes along and were still struggling to hit the ball I'll get worried.

Even last season, we didn't post gaudy stats, but we won games.

We're only 4-1?!

No team has ever won a World Series with an .800 winning percentage in the regular season! :mad:

:p

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You never let an opportunity to pat yourself on the back slip by do you??

This is a personal topic with me. I take it personally when someone abuses numbers to make a conclusion like you've made.

I am so not trying to make you look foolish - you've done that all by yourself.

You directly attacked my integrity. This is obvious.

I made a point that thus far (merely 5 games into the season), our offense has been lacking. Can you legitimately offer a proper counter to that point? If runs scored is your only defense, well - I'll concede that we are at best middle of the pack in that specific category. Though, my point was not about Runs Scored as I clearly stated our "offense" is lacking. Therefore, the facts I presented clearly and undeniably support my point.

Offense = Runs Scored and Defense = Runs Allowed. How those runs cross the plate do not matter as much as that they do. Cherry picking stats to show a weak offense and ignoring the others is disingenuous at best. Taking percentage stats by ranking when the sample size is so small is again, disingenuous at best.

And no worries - I have zero intention of shifting away from sales. ;)

Then I suggest you stay away from evaluating baseball in the future. Maybe you can use your expertise on the outfield wall signs.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 3-1 and take the series against the Padres. Kennedy gets the win and CY hits his 3rd homer of the year.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This is a personal topic with me. I take it personally when someone abuses numbers to make a conclusion like you've made.

How anything I said can be taken personally is utterly ridiculous.

You directly attacked my integrity. This is obvious.

Really?? "Attacked your integrity"?? LOL...

Offense = Runs Scored and Defense = Runs Allowed. How those runs cross the plate do not matter as much as that they do. Cherry picking stats to show a weak offense and ignoring the others is disingenuous at best. Taking percentage stats by ranking when the sample size is so small is again, disingenuous at best.

Then I suggest you stay away from evaluating baseball in the future. Maybe you can use your expertise on the outfield wall signs.

I captured a 5 game snipit and ONLY commented on the offensive results during that short window. I can take a 5 game snipit at any point in the season and perform the same review. Doesn't mean that that type of review is or will be indicative of future results and I made no assertions like that. I simply made a comment regarding the lackluster offensive start to the season, which the facts undeniably support. And somehow, you take that "personally"... You are indeed a very, very odd duck...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 3-1 and take the series against the Padres. Kennedy gets the win and CY hits his 3rd homer of the year.

Kennedy was masterful last night! 6 innings. 5 hits. 1 run. 1 walk and 9 K's! Man he loves mowing down the Padres.
As for CY - he continues to make pitchers pay the price when they leave a ball over the plate or attempt to come inside.... while looking amateurish whenever a pitcher decides to keep the ball on the outside 3rd of the plate... incredible how opposing teams haven't figured this out yet!

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Kennedy was masterful last night! 6 innings. 5 hits. 1 run. 1 walk and 9 K's! Man he loves mowing down the Padres.
As for CY - he continues to make pitchers pay the price when they leave a ball over the plate or attempt to come inside.... while looking amateurish whenever a pitcher decides to keep the ball on the outside 3rd of the plate... incredible how opposing teams haven't figured this out yet!

Clearly, you should be a batting coach because you seem to know so much more than the professionals already. Seriously, how many times must you make this point? Every time CY does well?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have faced a great pitching staff and a great pitching park.

Not hard to understand why runs have been hard to come by.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have faced a great pitching staff and a great pitching park.

OK, I think you're saying the Giants are a great staff and Petco is a pitcher's park. I'm almost there with you. Not sure the Giants are a great pitching staff, but they're definitely really good. Also think the Pads staff is underrated, but not sure they'll get the numbers this year to back me up. Love young talent like Luebke.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks lose 7-6. This was a game we should have won up 6-2 early in the game and managed to blow it.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Dbacks lose 7-6. This was a game we should have won up 6-2 early in the game and managed to blow it.

Yeah, what was Upton doing on that line drive? He is so talented, but sometimes he drives me crazy with this lackadaisical fielding.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, what was Upton doing on that line drive? He is so talented, but sometimes he drives me crazy with this lackadaisical fielding.
The same thing that happened to Cuddeyer in right field. Apparently the lights make it pretty tough on some balls. Cuddeyer had two such instances and so did Upton...

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will say it again.. Hudson is a pretty good 3rd starter to very good #4, but is a below average #2.. It will work great when we have Bauer/skaggs/Corbi come up and Hudson can move back to #3-#4.. But for the time being, just got to hold on.. We still have a decent starting 5, we just have an ace with 2 decent 3/4 and 2 serviceable inning eaters...

Going to be special if 1-2 of our studs works out and comes up this year :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I will say it again.. Hudson is a pretty good 3rd starter to very good #4, but is a below average #2.. It will work great when we have Bauer/skaggs/Corbi come up and Hudson can move back to #3-#4.. But for the time being, just got to hold on.. We still have a decent starting 5, we just have an ace with 2 decent 3/4 and 2 serviceable inning eaters...

Going to be special if 1-2 of our studs works out and comes up this year :)

I wouldn't sell Hudson short just yet. When he's right, he a very solid #2... I wouldn't be surprised to see him bounce back in a big way in his next start. He's 24 & 14 as a D-Back and last season pitched over 222 innings! Just needs to get his mind right and settle into the season.