2012 Arizona Diamondbacks season thread - April Edition

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Here are the facts thus far - which, hardly suggest "offense has carried the team to date"...

Batting Average: 23rd in MLB / 13th in the NL
Hits: 26th in MLB / 14th in the NL
Avg. w/Runners in Scoring Position: 29th in MLB / DEAD LAST in the NL

Now, we are ranked 15th in MLB in Runs, and 8th in the NL... largely because we rank 9th in Walks in the majors and 6th in the NL. Therefore, our OBP has us at 11th in the majors and 6th in the NL.

I'm just glad our pitching staff has been able to hold up our horrible offense right now. I mean, the fact that in two out of our ten games we've scored less than 4 runs is just unacceptable. Right 82? BTW, how are our ad sales doing this year?

Well - while our pitching hasn't exactly been stellar, our offense has improved. Now, after 10 games:

Batting Avg: 19th overall / 10th in the NL
Hits: 19th overall / 9th in NL
Avg w/Runners in Scoring Pos: 27th overall / 14th in NL
Runs: 8th overall / 3rd in NL

Our OPS is a respectable 10th overall and 3rd in the NL. Our HR total is 5th overall and 4th in the NL...

I would say that in order to maintain season-long success, we will need to see large improvements in batting average, Hits, Avg w/Runners in Scoring Pos. Of course, with only 3 "regulars" hitting over .270 (CY, Parra and Miggy), you would have to expect to see this improvement when guys like Roberts, Upton and Goldy come along.

Ad sales?? LOL....

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we can agree that Mr. Young will not end the season hitting. 405 with 80 home runs and 198 rib's. It appears he is pretty much carrying the team. Mr. Upton is having a pretty dismal April, hitting like a number 8 hitter instead of a number 3 hitter. He will come around.... the questions are when and how much.

Likewise, we have a rough spot or two in the pitching rotation, as well. I think we'll see changes by the 1st of May.

Sorry if my worrying offends anyone. I just worry..... :(

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, note that we are 7-3 against losing teams only. I know it's early but there appears to be legitimate reasons for concern... not limited to pitching and our friend Mr. Upton, who is stinking up the joint at the plate AND in the field... some things need to improve a lot....

Yet the Dodgers are 9-1, with all wins coming against the PAAADRES and teh Pirates, one by blown call, several others 1-run, and people are saying how great they are....

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yet the Dodgers are 9-1, with all wins coming against the PAAADRES and teh Pirates, one by blown call, several others 1-run, and people are saying how great they are....

Actually, the media seems to be talking about how good/great the NL West is! The Dodgers, D-Backs and Rockies are all getting a great deal of attention. Some are saying that they are the best overall teams in the NL and they're all in the same division...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the media seems to be talking about how good/great the NL West is! The Dodgers, D-Backs and Rockies are all getting a great deal of attention. Some are saying that they are the best overall teams in the NL and they're all in the same division...

But it is a mirage :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's game:

Pittsburgh 3-7 (Road: 1-6) 6:40pm MST

Arizona 7-3 (Home: 4-0) TV: RT, FSAZ

PIT: J. Karstens (0-1, 3.27)
ARI: I. Kennedy (2-0, 2.84)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It's April. I repeat, it's April. 10 games into a 162 game season. The entire spectrum of the league can change at a moments notice.

I know this is a simplistic argument, but something to keep in the back of your minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But it is a mirage :D

Definitely not a mirage... well, I mean they are not a bad team at all and will most likely be battling for the top spot in the west come September... Their #'s 1 and 2 (Kershaw and Billingsly) are as good and probably better than ours. I think we have more firepower on offense, though, the current stats wouldn't prove that. And I also believe we have a better pen, but, again, we're not really proving that as well just yet...

All things being equal, the division should go D-Backs in first and the Dodgers in second. The Rockies have a potent offense but zero pitching and the Giants have zero offense and now lost Wilson for the year... I like our chances!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely not a mirage... well, I mean they are not a bad team at all and will most likely be battling for the top spot in the west come September... Their #'s 1 and 2 (Kershaw and Billingsly) are as good and probably better than ours. I think we have more firepower on offense, though, the current stats wouldn't prove that. And I also believe we have a better pen, but, again, we're not really proving that as well just yet...

All things being equal, the division should go D-Backs in first and the Dodgers in second. The Rockies have a potent offense but zero pitching and the Giants have zero offense and now lost Wilson for the year... I like our chances!

I know :)

Rockies, I don't see hanging around.

Dodgers, with Kershaw and Billingsly (unless they do a Lincecum) and Kemp will keep them in contention.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I know :)

Rockies, I don't see hanging around.

Dodgers, with Kershaw and Billingsly (unless they do a Lincecum) and Kemp will keep them in contention.

Yea... additionally, with new ownership now, look for the Dodgers to be bigtime buyers come the trade deadline... not sure who will actually be available, though, Cliff Lee's name came up this morning. Nonetheless, the Dodgers will be looking to spend more so than the D-Backs...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea... additionally, with new ownership now, look for the Dodgers to be bigtime buyers come the trade deadline... not sure who will actually be available, though, Cliff Lee's name came up this morning. Nonetheless, the Dodgers will be looking to spend more so than the D-Backs...

Not sure how much they will have to spend - $2B is a lot of money to spend up front, and if a lot is debt, then they have a ton of debt service.

Plus, Dodger Stadium needs an infusion of money to make it safe, and attractive to get people there again.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's April. I repeat, it's April. 10 games into a 162 game season. The entire spectrum of the league can change at a moments notice.

I know this is a simplistic argument, but something to keep in the back of your minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's early. I just worry... ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not sure how much they will have to spend - $2B is a lot of money to spend up front, and if a lot is debt, then they have a ton of debt service.

Plus, Dodger Stadium needs an infusion of money to make it safe, and attractive to get people there again.

While the actual source of the funds has not yet (if ever will be) been disclosed, most reports seem to suggest that at least $1.5B will be paid in "cash"...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the actual source of the funds has not yet (if ever will be) been disclosed, most reports seem to suggest that at least $1.5B will be paid in "cash"...

So then the questions are, how much is debt service on half a billion, and how much cash LEFT do the investors have?

Will they Sarver and only spend what the club earns? Or will they Coangelo and go into debt to build a winner?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So then the questions are, how much is debt service on half a billion, and how much cash LEFT do the investors have?

Will they Sarver and only spend what the club earns? Or will they Coangelo and go into debt to build a winner?

We'll soon find out the answers to those questions of course... However, listening to the comments this morning from people who seem quite close to the franchise, I would say it's a pretty safe bet that if the Dodgers are in contention come the deadline, they will be bigtime spenders... I just hope they're far enough out of the race that they don't even entertain the thought of spending!

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Great insight from Sutton: Chase Field is a pitcher's ballpark if you make your pitches

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
Crap. CY just slammed into the wall making a catch. Had to leave the game with a shoulder injury.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Gamecast it looks like Ian is leaving almost everything up. Tough night for him....

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Crap. CY just slammed into the wall making a catch. Had to leave the game with a shoulder injury.
They gave him an MRI and it was diagnosed as a shoulder contusion. They will know more tomorrow.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
They gave him an MRI and it was diagnosed as a shoulder contusion. They will know more tomorrow.

I think they said the MRI is tomorrow. But yes, they did say it's only a contusion and not a separation so it doesn't look too serious.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn