Hidden Answers Already on the Roster?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
While there have been no reports of any other free agent interest or visits for the Cardinals, I thought I would search the current roster for some possible hidden answers to some of the position openings we currently have.

67 T D.J. Young, 6-5, 298, 2, Michigan St.

Was promoted from the practice squad to the 53 man roster in December. The coaches have indicated that they like what they see in Young.

At Michigan St. he transferred in as a junior and started 12 games at RT his junior year and started every game at LT his senior year, where he garnered 2nd Team All-Big Ten Honors. It was a big year offensively for Michigan St. and Young had a great deal to do with why.

What I saw on tape---athletic, strong protector of the edge---nice size---good counter puncher---gets a good push in the running game and is adept at making good blocks on the second level. Had good games versus Ryan Kerrigan, both of which earned him the MSU Coaches' Lineman of the Week MVP for those key Northwestern wins. Plays a little tall at times---needs to sit down a little better in his base---and needs to add a little more lower body strength (something he and John Lott will be working on). Can play either side, LT or RT.

Note: While I was watching Michigan State tape, a WR who jumped off the film a couple of times was Keyshawn Martin #82 (5-11, 185, 4.43)---he reminded me a little of Baylor's Kendall Wright...although MSU used Martin more on quick passes where he could display his RAC skills. Very good punt returner as well.

46 RB Alfonso Smith, 6-1, 208, 3, Kentucky.

His speed and aggressive hit the hole style are attractive. What he needs to do is trust his speed and allow his blocks to develop because he runs a little too hard initially which throws him off-balance. If he develops stronger body control and the ability to make tacklers miss, he could be very good. he's a gifted and gutsy athlete.

44 TE Steve Skelton, 6-5, 250, 2, Fordham.

I think he is going to be one of the big surprises of training camp. While the Cardinals don't need answers at TE because of their current depth, Skelton's progress may make it easier for the team to trade TE Todd Heap, if they feel the need to use a trade to address another position. The thing about Skelton is that he is just as fearless as his brother and he will scrape and claw for everything he can get. He's sneaky fast for a TE too.

62 C/G Ryan Bartholomew, 6-1, 310, 2. Syracuse.

This guy is a physical freak of nature---he had the fastest 40 time at the combine last year (4.88) and did the most reps on the bench. If he were two inches taller, he would have been taken in the 4th or 5th round. However, with his unique blend of quickness and strength, he can be a real asset inside inn the Cardinals' trapping schemes. With the Cardinals releasing Rex Hadnot, Bartholomew may well fill the versatile C/G backup role.

83 WR Jaymar Johnson, 6-0, 176, 3, Jackson St.

One of the reasons why it was easy to let Chansi Stuckey go is Jay Jay. 2008 6th round draft pick of the Vikings who was on track to make their team for the 2nd year in a row when he broke his thumb in pre-season. Spent that season in the IR. Then was in the last cuts in MN last year. That's when Fitz likely told the staff about him, because Jay Jay trains with Fitz in Arizona during the off-seasons.

Watched over 10 minutes of his college highlights at JSU---and I thought I was watching Kendall Wright, as time and time again Johnson was able to beat the defense deep, or take a quick hitch and turn it into a nifty 25 yard scamper. The only difference is that Johnson did not have RGIII throwing to him and therefore Johnson on numerous plays where he had separation had to slow down and adjust to an under-thrown ball---which he is excellent at doing. In fact, on one play he had five yards on his CB deep, and the backup QB at JSU was in and threw the ball up for grabs at high and long as he could, and Johnson had to turn his shoulders and redirect his route and then he made a stunning over the shoulder catch down to the 5 yard line.

What I didn't see were many inside passes thrown to him, as he was used almost exclusively on the perimeter at JSU. Obviously, with the Cardinals he is going to have to prove he can light things up from the slot. So it will be interesting to see. Johnson seems like he's a very determined young man---I heard an interview he gave in MN---and it was no surprise to hear that he was with John Skelton, Rob Housler, and Steve Skelton for a productive and spirited throwing session in AZ this week. Jay Jay will be right by Fitz's side training with him this spring as well.

59 OLB Brandon Williams, 6-3, 250, 4, Texas Tech.

Former 4th round pick of the Cowboys---who was praised in TC by then HC/DC Wade Phillips has having an explosive first step. The thing was thew Cowboys drafted like 4 LBers that year and so Williams had trouble making their roster---that and the fact that at Texas Tech, while he led the Big 12 in sacks his last year (13) and was All Big Ten, he was never asked to cover anyone.

Now that Williams has been in Horton's system, this is a young man who could make some noise. He fits the Dick LeBeau OLB criteria in that Williams has the strength to bull rush and the edge quickness to speed rush. In watching his Texas Tech tapes, what impressed me about him is his cat-like quickness to the ball, and the fact that he bends his frame easily and tackles low.

22 CB/S Crezdon Butler, 6-0, 191, 3, Clemson.

This guy's story is a very interesting one. After a junior year at Clemson that he absolutely dominated and was projected to be a sure 1st round pick, he decided to stay his senior year at Clemson in order to vie for an NCAA Championship and earn his degree in Sociology.

The opponents his senior year threw in his direction a grand total of 14 times. Thus, his gaudy numbers from junior year were down considerably. The scouts started to question Butler's speed---but he posted a 4.45 at the Combine and yet still, he was not drafted until the 5th round.

For Butler's rookie year with the Steelers under then DB Coach Ray Horton he played a combo CB/S much the way Richard Marshall did for the Cardinals this year. Butler had a good TC this past year (including a pick six) but didn't make the final cuts because the Steelers used their 4th and 5th round picks on CBs.

The Cardinals promptly claimed him off waivers, and added him to the 53 man roster. We didn't get to see much of him because he injured his ankle in the 2nd game of the season and was placed on the IR.

However, it is possible that Horton believes that Butler can thrive in the hybrid role that Marshall played for the Cardinals.

Note: I wonder if Horton has any interest in nickel CB William Gay who was recently released by the Steelers. Horton demoted Gay from the starting CB position in 2009---but kept him as their main nickel DB where Gay has played well for the past two years. However, maybe Horton likes the nickel potential he sees in CBs 30 Marshay Green, 5-10, 175, 3, Mississippi and 32 Korey Lindsey, 5-10, 194, Southern Illinois. Green earned some 53 man roster action at the end of the year (but got burned deep at RCB on his one play of significance---but it wasn't at the nickel) and Lindsey spent the whole year on the practice squad.

Last edited:

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, let's protect our investment in a QB with a guy off the practice squad.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Antonio Coleman and Isiah Williams are better prospects at their positions then the players stated above, imho.

I am not sold on Butler for Marshall's role in the defense either. Has the ability but not the experience imo

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
Wasn't there a WR at camp last year that really shone for a bit and then kind of disappeared? The name escapes me. I remember the radio guys going on and on how he caught every single thing thrown to him there, for awhile...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good stuff, Mitch.

All have the potential to be contributors, a point lost on one.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hidden answers that may already be on the roster? You may not have to go to the depths of the PS to get those answers:

If Kolb is healthy, I think he's going to have a good season ( Matt Cassell 2012 type season ) Ryan Williams, Rib Housler, David Carter, Stew Bradley, and Demarco Sampson all come to mind as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hidden answers that may already be on the roster? You may not have to go to the depths of the PS to get those answers:

If Kolb is healthy, I think he's going to have a good season ( Matt Cassell 2012 type season ) Ryan Williams, Rib Housler, David Carter, Stew Bradley, and Demarco Sampson all come to mind as well.

I hope the irony of that statement is not lost on you.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, any kickers or punters around that interest you?

Neil Rackers is available, Larry! He and his quirky routines make me too nervous. I would rather stick with Feely. The rest of the pool is shallow.

But---at punter---Donnie Jones is, imo, as good as they get. He would be well worth top punter money.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Mitch, any kickers or punters around that interest you?

I wouldn't mind us drafting a punter -- Bryan Anger from Cal is the consensus top punter, and Walter Football has a 5-7 round projection on him. Would anyone be that disappointed if we took the consensus top punter in the 5th round given what we've seen the past two years?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Antonio Coleman and Isiah Williams are better prospects at their positions then the players stated above, imho.

I am not sold on Butler for Marshall's role in the defense either. Has the ability but not the experience imo

Antonio Coleman is intriguing, as he had 24 career sacks at Auburn (albeit zero sacks in his handful of games in two years with Buffalo, a team desperate for pass rushers)---

Isaiah Williams has good size and deep speed---

So thanks for pointing them out as well.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind us drafting a punter -- Bryan Anger from Cal is the consensus top punter, and Walter Football has a 5-7 round projection on him. Would anyone be that disappointed if we took the consensus top punter in the 5th round given what we've seen the past two years?

Good call, gmabel, although I don't think Whisenhunt would ever go with a rookie punter or kicker unless he has to.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

We had a special teams coach at his Cal pro day, definitely wouldn't mind a later pick on a punter that does his job. Having Benny when he was tearing it up was huge.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I wouldn't be upset with drafting a Punter. With the Kickoff rules as they are now, the Punter becomes way more important in the field position battle these days.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. What I saw of DJ Young I liked. I am looking forward to seeing him play this preseason.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wasn't there a WR at camp last year that really shone for a bit and then kind of disappeared? The name escapes me. I remember the radio guys going on and on how he caught every single thing thrown to him there, for awhile...

I think you're talking about Demarco Sampson, who was the 2011 edition of Stephen Williams, who was the 2010 edition of every Preseason All pro that Cards have.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be upset with drafting a Punter. With the Kickoff rules as they are now, the Punter becomes way more important in the field position battle these days.

Agreed. And Zastudil was terrible

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch, did you deliberately or inadvertently ignore, Quan Sturdivant?

He had a second round grade in a number of publications coming out, and now has had a year of study and in the weight room. Had experience both at ILB and OLB and lead his team in tackles. His versatility, if he can get into the lineup, would allow Bradley to take more snaps at OLB.