Nick Johnson commits to the Cats

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Several UofA boards are reporting Nick Johnson has committed to the Cats. Huge get for Sean Miller.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knew he was UA's to lose, only surprise is that he committed a couple of weeks early. Big time get, who will be #3, Turner or Carson?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone knew he was UA's to lose, only surprise is that he committed a couple of weeks early. Big time get, who will be #3, Turner or Carson?

I would not mind either one. I also would not mind Quinn Cook.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would not mind either one. I also would not mind Quinn Cook.

Cook has UA in his Top 7 but rumor has it that he ends up at either Duke or UNC who hasn't offered him yet. Turner & Carson are much more likely prospects.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Big time get, who will be #3, Turner or Carson?

I doubt either, those guys are both PGs. If Nick Johnson wants to play in the NBA, itll have to be as a PG. Youd have to imagine Miller sold Johnson on the idea of playing PG at UA.

This is a very good get for UA, congrats to you guys. I hope ASU lands Jahii Carson, that would make for a fun backcourt rivalry over the next few years.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt either, those guys are both PGs. If Nick Johnson wants to play in the NBA, itll have to be as a PG. Youd have to imagine Miller sold Johnson on the idea of playing PG at UA.

This is a very good get for UA, congrats to you guys. I hope ASU lands Jahii Carson, that would make for a fun backcourt rivalry over the next few years.

He can actually play the 1, 2 and 3 but Miller is still looking at a point guard and if he gets one, Johnson will play the 2 more. As for Carson, from what I have read, it's down to UCLA, UofA, Washington and ASU. Carson is taking an unofficial visit to UCLA on 8/25 and then official visits to the UofA on 9/17, to Washington on 10/8 and to UNLV on 10/15. I don't know when he will visit ASU. His mom was quoted in the paper that she has concerns about ASU's offense. Herb said he would switch to a more uptempo game but we will have to wait to see if that happens.

Nick Johnson said yesterday he is actively recruiting Josiah Turner to become a Cat. If that happens, the UofA will easily have a top-10 class.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Zing!

Huge get for Miller and I like the enthusiasm of driving down to sign. That sounds like a solid commit if there ever was one. Now we just need Turner or Carson and we are ready to roll......

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big Johnson fan he strikes me as a better athlete than player. I think he'll be a solid college player but Scout has him rated the 14th best SG in the country in 2011, I just find it hard to believe he's that good because I frankly don't think he's a very good shooter, I think he gets by on athleticism and really needs to improve his handle. He's also apparently not as tall as listed and with the way he plays that could be a problem in college.

As a UCLA fan I'm hoping this increases the odds of Norman Powell picking UCLA, that's the rumor but it's been the rumor for awhile so until it happens, there's concern. Powell was looking at UA as well and since I am pretty convinced that Carson will end up at UA I doubt they can convince Powell to come in with 2 other highly rated guards.

I think Turner is going to Kansas, I've believed that for well over a year. His mom recently posted a couple of times on BRO both the free board and the premium board. She basically said not to fixate on his final 5 visit list the reason UCLA isn't on it is he's already been there several times unofficially and doesn't need an official. She said he will be qualified for UCLA and all those rumors were false but I am a bit skeptical given his own coach(also a Dean of Students) in HS said he thought Turner should have skipped summer basketball and gone to summer school to improve his academics. I think unless KU decides they don't want him, he's theirs to lose.

Cook I figure will stay back East but he recently had some positive things to say about UCLA that included confirming he has no offers from Duke or UNC. I'd guess if they don't offer, Cook winds up at Georgetown. I hope UCLA gets one of the 3 PG's but I don't think they will, they may have to settle for Dinwiddie if he doesn't commit somewhere else first.

HooverDam

Reaction score
He can actually play the 1, 2 and 3 but Miller is still looking at a point guard and if he gets one, Johnson will play the 2 more. As for Carson, from what I have read, it's down to UCLA, UofA, Washington and ASU. Carson is taking an unofficial visit to UCLA on 8/25 and then official visits to the UofA on 9/17, to Washington on 10/8 and to UNLV on 10/15. I don't know when he will visit ASU. His mom was quoted in the paper that she has concerns about ASU's offense. Herb said he would switch to a more uptempo game but we will have to wait to see if that happens.

Nick Johnson said yesterday he is actively recruiting Josiah Turner to become a Cat. If that happens, the UofA will easily have a top-10 class.

You really want a guy who's 6'2'' playing the 3 for your big time college team? He can play the 2 in college, but like I said, in the NBA he'll have to play the 1 or be a combo guard off the bench kinda guy (like Terry or LB). So if he's wise he better hope he's UAs starting PG for a couple of years and that would mean keeping guys like Carson and Turner away.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You really want a guy who's 6'2'' playing the 3 for your big time college team? He can play the 2 in college, but like I said, in the NBA he'll have to play the 1 or be a combo guard off the bench kinda guy (like Terry or LB). So if he's wise he better hope he's UAs starting PG for a couple of years and that would mean keeping guys like Carson and Turner away.

Dude are you serious? Don't you have a Old Spice Ad to go talk about in the Sun Devils forum?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Dude are you serious? Don't you have a Old Spice Ad to go talk about in the Sun Devils forum?

You literally didn't make a point in this post, just FYI.

Lets go over the two sections of my post you bolded:

1. Do you want a guy who's 6'2''-6'3'' playing the Small Forward position for UofA? That seems a bit undersized to me.

2. Wouldn't you agree Nick Johnsons best hopes as a pro are at the PG position? If you do agree, wouldn't it then follow that it would be wise for Johnson to want UAs PG slot for himself? Maybe he is on the phone trying to get Josiah Turner to come to UA, but that seems counter to his own interests.

Now, in full sentences, please explain what you're disagreeing with.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a big Johnson fan he strikes me as a better athlete than player. I think he'll be a solid college player but Scout has him rated the 14th best SG in the country in 2011, I just find it hard to believe he's that good because I frankly don't think he's a very good shooter, I think he gets by on athleticism and really needs to improve his handle. He's also apparently not as tall as listed and with the way he plays that could be a problem in college.

As a UCLA fan I'm hoping this increases the odds of Norman Powell picking UCLA, that's the rumor but it's been the rumor for awhile so until it happens, there's concern. Powell was looking at UA as well and since I am pretty convinced that Carson will end up at UA I doubt they can convince Powell to come in with 2 other highly rated guards.

I think Turner is going to Kansas, I've believed that for well over a year. His mom recently posted a couple of times on BRO both the free board and the premium board. She basically said not to fixate on his final 5 visit list the reason UCLA isn't on it is he's already been there several times unofficially and doesn't need an official. She said he will be qualified for UCLA and all those rumors were false but I am a bit skeptical given his own coach(also a Dean of Students) in HS said he thought Turner should have skipped summer basketball and gone to summer school to improve his academics. I think unless KU decides they don't want him, he's theirs to lose.

Cook I figure will stay back East but he recently had some positive things to say about UCLA that included confirming he has no offers from Duke or UNC. I'd guess if they don't offer, Cook winds up at Georgetown. I hope UCLA gets one of the 3 PG's but I don't think they will, they may have to settle for Dinwiddie if he doesn't commit somewhere else first.

Johnson is a huge get for the Cats and don't count out Turner from going to the UofA. What I found out today about Turner is encouraging. Guess we will just have to wait and see but I'm staying positive.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Johnson is a huge get for the Cats and don't count out Turner from going to the UofA. What I found out today about Turner is encouraging. Guess we will just have to wait and see but I'm staying positive.

Can you give a little more info, there are so many rumors floating around there's no telling where anyone will end up right now. Do your sources visit this site?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess the counter is if Carson goes to UA you can't really think they will get Turner too? I guess it has happened before, UCLA signed Holiday, Lee and Anderson in the same class all called PG's by some. But it would seem unlikely that Johnson, Carson and Turner will all pick the same college. I think UA gets Carson and Kansas gets Turner and UCLA is desperately hoping they get Cook but probably don't.

Side note looks like both UA and UCLA have some interest in DeAndre Daniels, he's taking unofficials to USC and UCLA this weekend. Surprised UCLA is looking at him given the past talk about his grades but apparently he's fully qualified.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI you probably already know this but a guy at PGU.com is reporting
that Turner is now a UA lean after Johnson signing.

That would be intriguing, UW fans think that would push Carson to them,
UCLA fans of course hoping Carson would fall to them.

Sure does make this one guy on BRO's freeboard look silly, he keeps claiming
that everyone hates Nick Johnson and his mom and the whole reason none
of the Oakland Soldiers had committed is they wanted Johnson to do so first so they could avoid playing with him. Looks like the exact opposite if Turner winds up at UA.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You literally didn't make a point in this post, just FYI.

Lets go over the two sections of my post you bolded:

1. Do you want a guy who's 6'2''-6'3'' playing the Small Forward position for UofA? That seems a bit undersized to me.

2. Wouldn't you agree Nick Johnsons best hopes as a pro are at the PG position? If you do agree, wouldn't it then follow that it would be wise for Johnson to want UAs PG slot for himself? Maybe he is on the phone trying to get Josiah Turner to come to UA, but that seems counter to his own interests.

Now, in full sentences, please explain what you're disagreeing with.
A lot of tweaked information here. Miller sold NJ as a Bayless/Terry type of scoring combo for UA playing the two while getting spells as a one. Johnson has no issues with Arizona recruiting a pure point in his class, he even tried to recruit Jahii at one point. He's going to UA because he loves Miller and UofA. It's Carson that doesn't want to play with NJ (or any other point or combo for that matter) which makes ASU his most logical choice. Of course it's not that easy as Carson's athletic talents would mostly go to waste in the slow tempo system Sendek has been running so he needs to get some assurances from ASU first in all likelhood before committing. Carson isn't going to Arizona no matter what which is probably best for both parties.

NJ will for the most part play off the ball as a 2/3 (which are largely interchangeable in most college systems) mostly slashing as a two while DB hits from outside as the 3 or Solo creates off the dribble or in the post at the 3. At least that's how it's envisioned by the staff.

On the Turner matter, he has no problems playing with Nick. Arizona and Kansas are his final two. He'll choose between them with whether he wants Kansas' brand or Arizona's proximity.

On vacation now, will update more when I get back.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the counter is if Carson goes to UA you can't really think they will get Turner too? I guess it has happened before, UCLA signed Holiday, Lee and Anderson in the same class all called PG's by some. But it would seem unlikely that Johnson, Carson and Turner will all pick the same college. I think UA gets Carson and Kansas gets Turner and UCLA is desperately hoping they get Cook but probably don't.

Side note looks like both UA and UCLA have some interest in DeAndre Daniels, he's taking unofficials to USC and UCLA this weekend. Surprised UCLA is looking at him given the past talk about his grades but apparently he's fully qualified.

I was not saying the Cats would get all three. I don't think Carson will be coming to the UofA. I could see him going to Washington. I was saying Turner and Johnson. It will be interesting the next few months.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not saying the Cats would get all three. I don't think Carson will be coming to the UofA. I could see him going to Washington. I was saying Turner and Johnson. It will be interesting the next few months.

Gotcha and based on what Mao posted he agrees Carson isn't going to UA so that's an interesting twist since most UCLA fans believed he would.

I think it would be great for the Pac 10 if Turner picks UA, that means he stays somewhat local and if that means carson does too, even better.

The talent has been down the last couple of years on the West Coast so it's vital that the P-10 keeps the talent that is there, and then 2012 it bets much better talent wise on the west.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got this from the AZ Daily Star:

Turner is scheduled to visit Arizona for the Oct. 24 Red/Blue game a week after he takes in the Late Night in the Phog ceremonies at Kansas. He also has lined up visits to Louisville and Oregon next month. Turner said he has not decided what his last visit will be, though he is considering Connecticut, Oklahoma and UCLA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this from the AZ Daily Star:

Turner is scheduled to visit Arizona for the Oct. 24 Red/Blue game a week after he takes in the Late Night in the Phog ceremonies at Kansas. He also has lined up visits to Louisville and Oregon next month. Turner said he has not decided what his last visit will be, though he is considering Connecticut, Oklahoma and UCLA.

Interesting there were reports on BRO that said Turner has dropped UCONN completely over fears of their NCAA punishment. And his mom posted on BRO that he wasn't visiting UCLA because he's already been there several times unofficially and doesn't need to make an official visit. She said UCLA was the only California school he was considering for a reason and don't read anything into him not visiting there.

I have to say I'm surprised OU would be there at all given what happened last year. 2 players bolt to the NBA because they took money from a financial advisor, freshman PG bolts and there's a lot of uncertainty about Capel and his job status. I'd be pretty surprised if a kid like Turner picked OU.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Update on Turner, he has scheduled an in-home visit with Miller on September 9th and moved his official visit to September 17th. I would love to see Miller get a verbal after Josiah's September 17th visit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Turner's is an interesting development as NJ will be there to help with the recruiting pitch. Although it could backfire if he does not commit that weekend and takes visits to KU & UO where the atmosphere of KU on Phog Night and the facilities of UO could be hard to compete with.