Broncos 19 Cardinals 0: Game Notes and Roster Prediction

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When you watch the Cardinals simply from a fundamentals standpoint, it's very disconcerting. When the fundamentals are lacking, the execution of plays becomes all the more difficult. Quite frankly, one has to question not only the players' focus, but the shabby job these Cardinal coaches are doing. Whiz is in charge of the offense and yet the blocking has been poor, WRs are running sloppy routes and are not reacting to the ball, the QBs are at times just throwing to spots without reading coverage...this is a full-scale mess. Plus, it's back to penalty city...unreal how many penalties these guys incur.

On defense, the pass rush is so poor that the Broncos' 2nd and 3rd stringers look like a significant upgrade over the Cardinals' starters. The defensive calls are questionable...even the base defense looks porous and extremely vulnerable. Michael Adams' interception was the only turnover the Cardinal defense mustered in 16 quarters of pre-season football. That's not a fluke...it's a sign of the poor pressure they are putting on the opposing offense...like the easy time they gave rookie QB Tom Brandstater in tonight's game, thus making him look like this year's Joe Flacco.

Yes, this is the pre-season...but it's also a study in preparation, mostly in terms of fundamentals and in terms of desire (do these Cardinals really love this game?). These Cardinals don't look like players who love playing this game. If you love playing the game, you get excited about it. Tonight, there was no excitement whatsover. For a team that played in the Super Bowl last year to be this listless and apathetic is inexcusable...these Cardinals are acting like a bunch of jaded kids who "sorta enjoyed" their one trip to Disneyland, but, despite their parents' invitations, aren't showing much enthusiasm or interest at all in going back.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Have Warner do much of the playcalling himself. By giving the ownership more to the players, Whiz may get a lot more back. Plus, Warner is very savvy and he understands what plays are apt to work in what situations and what plays aren't.

2. Hire a defensive consultant immediately. It looks very clear that Bill Davis needs help. Perhaps with some mentoring and someone to help him practice plan and game plan, the defense might start to climb out of its current disarray. One big thing to give credit to Bill Davis for is the tackling is better...much better in fact...and much more fundamental. Interesting that young players like Michael Adams and Reggie Walker are turning heads in this regard.

53 Man Roster Prediction

QB (3): Warner, Leinart, St. Pierre.

RB (3): Hightower, Wells, Stephens-Howling. Wright did not do enough and he did not stand out on STs either. It came down to him or Lance Long and Long offers more on STs, and offers depth at a position where three of the top 5 WRs are currently injured. Look for Beanie Wells and LSH to split time as 3rd down RBs. And, at some point another RB may be added through waivers.

FB (1): Kreider.

WR (7): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Long, Morey.

TE (2): Spach, Becht
. Pope playing with the scrubs said it all. There goes another 3rd round draft pick down the drain. Byrd has talent, but for some reason the coaches don't seem that keen on him. Spach's been shaky, but the coaches love him. Becht is a high need player as blocking TE.

OL (9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, H. Johnson, Keith, Fowler, E. Brown. The real surprise here is Herman Johnson who is working his way toward the starting lineup. This kid looks good. Keith's progress has been slower than anticipated, but he's getting there. Elton Brown ekes onto the roster, but could be the odd man out if the Cardinals claim a T off waivers. Oliver Ross could still be the choice over Big E, but Ross reallly struggled too often in these games...and with Herman Johnson playing so well, the coaches could play him or Levi Brown at LT if need be.

NT (3): Robinson, Watson, Branch.
They will keep all three although neither Watson or Branch did enough, IMO, to safely secure or warrant roster spots.

DE (3): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema
. Dykes still has PS eligibility, and should go unclaimed.

ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Walker, Highsmith
. Walker and Highsmith played well tonight. Plus they have real upside on STs. Walker has good fundamentals and Highsmith has good ball instincts. They are very good compliments.

OLB (5): Haggans, Okeafor, Davis, Hobson, TBD. Hobson was very good tonight. He's going to be needed a great deal. Look for a waiver wire pickup at OLB or a trade for one.

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Adams, Toler, TBD
. Adams turned in another fine effort. In addition to his interception, he has to be one of the very best tacklers on the team...and his coverage has been tight. Toler is growing...loved the way he is starting to turn back to find the ball...this shows he knows the fundamental. Now he has to react to the ball more quickly, although he did a great job of stripping McKinney of the ball on his fade pass that could have been a TD. The Cardinals need to add another CB. Ralph Brown epitomizes the current Cardinal apathy...as does Bertrand Berry.

S (5): Wilson, Rolle, Francisco, Johnson, Ware
. Johnson is showing quick growth...and has already been very good on STs. The coaches have always seemed to like Ware, but, IMO, the team really needs another true cover 2 FS.

ST (3): Rackers, Graham, Leach.

PS (8): RB Vincent (this kid is a sleeper...he's got real talent and is now in very good shape), FB Maiu'a, G Canfield, T Pierce (or a FA), TE Byrd, WR Jones (if he isn't claimed off waivers), DE Dykes, LB Bullock.

Elliot Vallejo Update: After reaching an injury settlement with the Cardinals, he becomes eligible to be re-signed by the Cardinals (for the roster or PS) in Week 10 (game 9). It looks like he has 4 more weeks of rehab. In recent days both the Chiefs and Browns have expressed interest in signing him, once he gets cleared to play.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think it's completely normal to be complacent in the pre-season after playing in the Super Bowl.Especially after it was their 1st time doing it.I'm not concerned. I hope i'm not still saying that on week 3 though. As for love playing the game, they do, but thses are just glorified practice sessions and,after about 6 weeks of practice, they just want it to be real. Look at Dansby's comments and that says it all.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, under RB, I think Beanie will do more than just split carries. He looks pretty decent out there in the little he has played and imo the coaches have more in store for him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Mitch, I pretty much agree with your roster with the esception of Byrd. I hope somehow he stays. I think the biggest shocker cut will be Berry.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, thanks. I disagree with you on Wright (think he stays) and Long (think he goes). I'd add Byrd at TE, but wouldn't be surprised if we go with two until Patrick returns, as you suggest. OL, bad news for you, as I agree 100%, and I'm not often right. Defense, no real differences with the front seven, though I won't be surprised if Dykes makes it. Think we'll go with four CB's and fives Safeties, including Ware, and then Ware will fall victim to a WW pickup.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good job Mitch----I think I would go with Byrd, (gives us another receiver out of the backfield, and a back-up blocker to Kreider. I would not keep Long. He looked like he was scared to me when he tried to return kick-offs the past two games. If I had to cut another person to make room for an addition, it would be E. Brown, (he has not improved from his rookie year in my opinion, and is now too heavy to get out and lead block on the second level).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think it's completely normal to be complacent in the pre-season after playing in the Super Bowl.Especially after it was their 1st time doing it.I'm not concerned. I hope i'm not still saying that on week 3 though. As for love playing the game, they do, but thses are just glorified practice sessions and,after about 6 weeks of practice, they just want it to be real. Look at Dansby's comments and that says it all.

There's a problem with the Cardinals, and your rationale is partly what's at the center of the problem. The past two first halfs the Cardinals have been outscored 54-10. That's disgraceful. Think back to the Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England games last year...and we have a carbon copy scenario...the Cardinals viewed these games as meaningless. And thus, they didn't bother to show up.

This scenario does not speak well to both the players' mindsets or the coaches' ability to motivate and properly prepare the players.

If the Cardinals are truly going to take the next step and establish themselves as a perennial contender, this meaningless game mindset has to change. The players have to have enough respect for the game, respect for the team, respect for the coaches, respect for the fans who cheer for them and respect for themselves to set a standard of excellence that does not allow for less than 100% commitment and effort.

To me, Karlos Dansby, the player you are citing, is one of the players who has been at the very heart of this problem. Did you watch how Dansby played in the Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England games last year? This is why it's very hard to accept the term "leader" applied to Karlos Dansby.

In essence, Dansby is a symbol of the team's problem. Blessed with a great deal of natural ability, Dansby shows up when he wants to...in games, that he thinks are meaningful. And sure, in those games, he has a penchant for turning in good performances...but...a true leader plays hard every snap of every practice, pre-season game and regular season game...he doesn't dog it when the lights are low, or ham it up just when the lights are the brightest.

I think of Aeneas Williams...and I can't think of one time throughout his entire career where he dogged it...or played like it was just another meaningless game....even though he probably played on more awful out of the playoff hunt in October teams than anyone.

I think of Larry Centers who ran even harder when the chips were down.

I think of Larry Fitzgerald...who, as well any Cardinal today, understands what it means to be great...and who understands that once a player starts turning it off and on, all visions of greatness begin to flicker.

It's this standard of excellence in preparation and mindset that separates winners from losers.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, under RB, I think Beanie will do more than just split carries. He looks pretty decent out there in the little he has played and imo the coaches have more in store for him.

All I meant was sharing 3rd down duties with LSH.

Beanie will get plenty of touches, you're right.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
- Byrd's not practice squad eligible is he? He's played in 14 games. I'd keep him over Lance Long. Long has played basically two entire games and hasn't made any kind of impression on me.
- I completely agree that we'll be looking to add an OLB and some kind of veteran corner. The thought of Ralph Brown having to start is downright scary.
- Also I think our PS will be comprised of at least three guys from other teams.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I pretty much agree with your roster with the esception of Byrd. I hope somehow he stays. I think the biggest shocker cut will be Berry.

I agree with you, cardpa. I was predicting what the Cardinals will do. I found it curious that Byrd didn't get any real action with the first unit, when he clearly looks like the best and most natural receiver of all the TEs.

Here's the roster I would like to see (different from predicting Whiz's moves):

RB (3): Hightower, Wells, Stephens-Howling.

FB (1): Maui'a. I think he's the most imposing and best blocker of the three. I could care less if he can catch the ball.

WR (7): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Long, Morey. I think that once Long can breathe easier and work his way into the team's plans, he will be a nifty player. I really liked his one KO return last night and he made one of the only third down conversion catches of the night. The guy I am starting to sour on is Urban. He just looks so out of it and awkward at times. But, he does get open and Kurt Warner has chemistry with him.

TE (3): Patrick, Becht, Byrd. So 2 for now until Patrick gets back. Becht's the blocker and Byrd is the receiver. Good compliments. I am hearing that both Ben Watson and Alex Smith could be had in a trade with New England. Watson could be great in Arizona.

OL (8): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, H. Johnson, Keith, Fowler. The #9 OL would just be inactive every week anyway. Why waste a roster spot? And I could very well see this season a flipping of L. Brown to LT with H. Johnson taking over at RT.

NT (2): Robinson, Branch.

DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema, Pedelescaux (will likely be waived by the Broncos...I'd offer them a 6th rounder for him).

ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Walker, Highsmith. The more I see of Walker and Highsmith, I like them...and they play well in tandem.

OLB (6): Haggans, Okeafor, Davis, Hobson, TBA, TBA (we need two pass rushers, not just one---sure liked what I saw in Bronco's 3rd stringers Jarvis Moss---can be a head case as he did walk out of camp for a couple of days, but he was quicker on that edge than any Cardinal I saw last night---by far---and Tim Crowder on the other side was equally impressive. Both Moss and Crowder most likely could be had in trades.

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Adams, Toler, TBA (I still have my eye on GB's CB/FS Jarrett Bush).

S (5): Wilson, Rolle, Johnson, Francisco, TBA (Cover 2 FS).

PS (8): RB Vincent, WR Jones, WR Gant, G Canfield, T Pierce, DE Dykes, LB Bullock, DB-TBA. I like G Carlton Meddar too and wonder if he could also play T and C.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There's a problem with the Cardinals, and your rationale is partly what's at the center of the problem. The past two first halfs the Cardinals have been outscored 54-10. That's disgraceful. Think back to the Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England games last year...and we have a carbon copy scenario...the Cardinals viewed these games as meaningless. And thus, they didn't bother to show up.

This scenario does not speak well to both the players' mindsets or the coaches' ability to motivate and properly prepare the players.

If the Cardinals are truly going to take the next step and establish themselves as a perennial contender, this meaningless game mindset has to change. The players have to have enough respect for the game, respect for the team, respect for the coaches, respect for the fans who cheer for them and respect for themselves to set a standard of excellence that does not allow for less than 100% commitment and effort.

To me, Karlos Dansby, the player you are citing, is one of the players who has been at the very heart of this problem. Did you watch how Dansby played in the Philadelphia, Minnesota and New England games last year? This is why it's very hard to accept the term "leader" applied to Karlos Dansby.

In essence, Dansby is a symbol of the team's problem. Blessed with a great deal of natural ability, Dansby shows up when he wants to...in games, that he thinks are meaningful. And sure, in those games, he has a penchant for turning in good performances...but...a true leader plays hard every snap of every practice, pre-season game and regular season game...he doesn't dog it when the lights are low, or ham it up just when the lights are the brightest.

I think of Aeneas Williams...and I can't think of one time throughout his entire career where he dogged it...or played like it was just another meaningless game....even though he probably played on more awful out of the playoff hunt in October teams than anyone.

I think of Larry Centers who ran even harder when the chips were down.

I think of Larry Fitzgerald...who, as well any Cardinal today, understands what it means to be great...and who understands that once a player starts turning it off and on, all visions of greatness begin to flicker.

It's this standard of excellence in preparation and mindset that separates winners from losers.
It's pre-season. It means nothing.I don't even think players get paid for pre-season. You put too much stock in it. That's why you get all hyped about the 3rd string QB's. Who cares how they play in pre-season? I'll take the guys who play when it counts. All these "concerns" people have will be erased on next Sunday when the Cards win 37-14.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, thanks. I disagree with you on Wright (think he stays) and Long (think he goes). I'd add Byrd at TE, but wouldn't be surprised if we go with two until Patrick returns, as you suggest. OL, bad news for you, as I agree 100%, and I'm not often right. Defense, no real differences with the front seven, though I won't be surprised if Dykes makes it. Think we'll go with four CB's and fives Safeties, including Ware, and then Ware will fall victim to a WW pickup.

I'd agree with you about Wright, Garth, if he could return kicks. Right now, with LSH recovering from a concussion, and Breaston recovering from his leg injury, the Cardinals need Long in the return game.

I was thinking today that if no one had told us who the FA signing was, whether we would like Wright or Chris Vincent better. I will tell you, Vincent looks very good to me. I like his size and speed, plus he's not one to go down on first contact. Wright has not attacked the holes the way he should. The two screen passes versus 3rd stringers is not enough. And it's not like he's been lights-out as a blocker, either.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Link to Dansby's comments?

As for complacency, I agree 100%. Most of the vets publicly admitted to just wanting to get the regular season started. While I understand why people here are worrying about a SB hangover, it's too early get overly anxious about the team's success in 2009. If this team is going to have a slump, isn't it better to have it during the preseason?

Am I pissed? Absolutely! But when I take a moment to think about it, I realize that 1) its only preseason 2) the players/coaches recognize that there is a problem that can be rectified and 3) this team had talent all over the roster and the coaching staff; so much that I can't see this bleeding into Week 1.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Well Karlos did lead the team in tackles in those 3 games with 22 (7,8,7) and also had a sack against NE. :D

Where were Wilson and Warner (3 interceptions vs Philly and another vs the Vikings) and Berry in those three games?

One thing you have to say about the Cards "they do this together" both the good and the bad.

It always bothers me that we seldom see one or two players stepping up when the rest of the team is faltering. They either all play well or they all stink. I'd like to hear more often the announcers say that one of our "lesser" players is having a big night. Like Will Davis had vs Green Bay for instance.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
As much as berry has sucked he is our only legitimate pass rusher on the line and ideal for nickle. Plus he always seems to come around against SF. Might replace him with highsmith or walker.

I'm also at the point of saying to keep 2 QB's again but we know how that worked out.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good job Mitch. I do have concerns on the defense and feel that making Bill Davis the DC may have been a mistake. Of course we will wait till the games count before we have him "fired".

Injuries from yesterday's game may impact the final roster moves. Here is an update from Somers on them: Injuries: Cornerback Wilrey Fontenot was knocked out by a block and suffered a concussion. Outside linebacker Will Davis suffered a right foot injury but returned and played a lot of snaps. Safety Matt Ware had a stinger but should be O.K. Receiver Jerheme Urban "dinged" a knee and had some swelling but Whisenhunt doesn't think it's serious.

We all know that sometime minor becomes major, so we will wait on the Urban situation.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As much as berry has sucked he is our only legitimate pass rusher on the line and ideal for nickle. Plus he always seems to come around against SF. Might replace him with highsmith or walker.

I'm also at the point of saying to keep 2 QB's again but we know how that worked out.

Well it didn't work out too badly. We lost one game because the D couldn't contain a 50 year old QB. Other than that either Warner or Leinart played every game in '07.

If we hadn't lost twice to the 49ers, who only won 3 other games all season, the Cards would have finished 10-6.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Sando's Blog

Mike Sando, ESPN's NFC West blogger, is fast emerging as my favorite reporter, because he puts so many things in perspective and is not afraid to challenge what the coaches say.

In today's blog he did a great job defending the play of CB Greg Toler, praising Toler for how much he battles the WRs...and lauded him of the strip he made in the end zone...and gave him a reprieve for the ball that was caught at the one yard line, claiming that the Bronco WR pushed off---a veteran move, he said---but that Toler was in good position to make the play otherwise. Thus, he questioned Whiz's comments about Toler's struggles.

Sando also pointed out that Steve Breaston's two illegal formation penalties---and lack of attention to detail---were a problem last year too, as he incurred three such penalties.

Some of you may think Kurt Warner is whining---but he is absolutlely right...the routes the WRs are taking are very sloppy right now. How many times last night, for example, did many of the WRs stop their routes and stand around?

Warner is the epiotome of the timing QB...and he is going to have a full ten days to get on his WRs big-time if they all are going to snap out of their passing game duldrums.

This still doesn't excuse Warner for the costly interception he threw in the Super Bowl to James Harrison, or for the one he threw into triple coverage into the end zone last week, or the one he threw to the Bronco DE who at 6'6" is pretty hard to miss in the passing lane. These are all examples of Warner throwing to spots without sensing where the defense is.

As for Lance Long, both Somers and Urban are predicting that he won't make the roster...but....check this out: (1) Now 4 of the Cardinals' top 5 WRs are injured or returning from injuries: only Fitzgerald is comepletely healthy at the moment. Doucet is out. Boldin is questionable. Breaston is back but coming off a subpar performance, and Urban has a swollen knee; (2) the KO returner, LSH, is still recovering from a concussion; (3) ideally Breaston should not be asked to return punts until his knee is fully healed and Rolle hasn't exactly made a strong case to be the guy; (4) perhaps the biggest giveaway too is something Sando took the time to chart yesterday...other than Jerheme Urban, Long was on the field for more snaps in the first half than any other skill position player.

Long, like Urban and others, needs to polish his route running and get his timing down with Kurt Warner...but he did run back a nifty KO return last night of 45 yards...he caught one of the few third down conversions of the night on a 3rd and 9...and he looked good and speedy on the reverse, but the Broncos stringed it out well.

The biggest question is whether Rod Graves will step up to the plate and get a couple of deals done to address areas of need. They don't necessarily need to be major deals, but ones where the Cardinals can acquire a couple of players that won't fall 31 spots to them on waivers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Our defense, with of course the exception being the post season up until the final 2 mins of the Super Bowl, was BY FAR our weakest link last season. Particularly our pass defense.
I see nothing to suggest we have improved in that area, and in fact I think with Davis at the helm, you can make a case that we have actually gotten worse.
Could DRC experience the Sophomore Jinx?
Rolle sucks and remains a HUGE liability.
Mcfadden remains dinged up.
AW will continue to be forced to play at the line to support run defense.
We have zero quality depth at FS and CB, and a rookie as depth at SS.
We have zero quality depth at Linebacker... none.
Dockett is happy to be incoherently tweeting away...
Dansby got another phat payday and is more worried about his next long-term deal.
Branch and Watson are totally ineffective.

Unless and until this team proves otherwise, I believe we will need to score in massive bunches just to keep games close...

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Sando, ESPN's NFC West blogger, is fast emerging as my favorite reporter, because he puts so many things in perspective and is not afraid to challenge what the coaches say.

In today's blog he did a great job defending the play of CB Greg Toler, praising Toler for how much he battles the WRs...and lauded him of the strip he made in the end zone...and gave him a reprieve for the ball that was caught at the one yard line, claiming that the Bronco WR pushed off---a veteran move, he said---but that Toler was in good position to make the play otherwise. Thus, he questioned Whiz's comments about Toler's struggles.

Sando also pointed out that Steve Breaston's two illegal formation penalties---and lack of attention to detail---were a problem last year too, as he incurred three such penalties.

Some of you may think Kurt Warner is whining---but he is absolutlely right...the routes the WRs are taking are very sloppy right now. How many times last night, for example, did many of the WRs stop their routes and stand around?

Warner is the epiotome of the timing QB...and he is going to have a full ten days to get on his WRs big-time if they all are going to snap out of their passing game duldrums.

This still doesn't excuse Warner for the costly interception he threw in the Super Bowl to James Harrison, or for the one he threw into triple coverage into the end zone last week, or the one he threw to the Bronco DE who at 6'6" is pretty hard to miss in the passing lane. These are all examples of Warner throwing to spots without sensing where the defense is.

As for Lance Long, both Somers and Urban are predicting that he won't make the roster...but....check this out: (1) Now 4 of the Cardinals' top 5 WRs are injured or returning from injuries: only Fitzgerald is comepletely healthy at the moment. Doucet is out. Boldin is questionable. Breaston is back but coming off a subpar performance, and Urban has a swollen knee; (2) the KO returner, LSH, is still recovering from a concussion; (3) ideally Breaston should not be asked to return punts until his knee is fully healed and Rolle hasn't exactly made a strong case to be the guy; (4) perhaps the biggest giveaway too is something Sando took the time to chart yesterday...other than Jerheme Urban, Long was on the field for more snaps in the first half than any other skill position player.

Long, like Urban and others, needs to polish his route running and get his timing down with Kurt Warner...but he did run back a nifty KO return last night of 45 yards...he caught one of the few third down conversions of the night on a 3rd and 9...and he looked good and speedy on the reverse, but the Broncos stringed it out well.

The biggest question is whether Rod Graves will step up to the plate and get a couple of deals done to address areas of need. They don't necessarily need to be major deals, but ones where the Cardinals can acquire a couple of players that won't fall 31 spots to them on waivers.
Great write-up as always, Mitch and Sando is a beast. One thing you said though stuck out to. Lance Long had all those snaps in the first half and what does he have to show for it.....nothing.

Dude's cut.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Our defense, with of course the exception being the post season up until the final 2 mins of the Super Bowl, was BY FAR our weakest link last season. Particularly our pass defense.
I see nothing to suggest we have improved in that area, and in fact I think with Davis at the helm, you can make a case that we have actually gotten worse.
Dansby got another phat payday and is more worried about his next long-term deal.

Unless and until this team proves otherwise, I believe we will need to score in massive bunches just to keep games close...

It remains so incredibly mind-boggling that a team that came within 2:42 of winning the Super Bowl, that basically had to manufacture any semblance of a pass rush, and gave up 36 passing TDs, would do so little as the Cardinals did this off-season to improve that all-important area.

The Giants, who already featured one of the most prolific pass rushes in the league went out and signed Rocky Bernard , Chris Canty and Michael Boley.

The Panthers, who also have had one of the better pass rushes drafted DE Everette Brown and DT Corvey Irving...and still managed to pick up a blazer of a RB in Mike Goodson in the 4th round.

Even the Steelers grabbed DE Ziggy Hood and DE Ra'Shon Harris.

The Cardinals' leading sacker last year, Bertrand Berry, has a mere 5 sacks...and yet no free agent was signed...no trade was made, especially in the draft...if you go ahead and take Beanie Wells, don't you try to move up to take a pass rusher in the early to mid second round?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When you watch the Cardinals simply from a fundamentals standpoint, it's very disconcerting. When the fundamentals are lacking, the execution of plays becomes all the more difficult. Quite frankly, one has to question not only the players' focus, but the shabby job these Cardinal coaches are doing. Whiz is in charge of the offense and yet the blocking has been poor, WRs are running sloppy routes and are not reacting to the ball, the QBs are at times just throwing to spots without reading coverage...this is a full-scale mess. Plus, it's back to penalty city...unreal how many penalties these guys incur.

On defense, the pass rush is so poor that the Broncos' 2nd and 3rd stringers look like a significant upgrade over the Cardinals' starters. The defensive calls are questionable...even the base defense looks porous and extremely vulnerable. Michael Adams' interception was the only turnover the Cardinal defense mustered in 16 quarters of pre-season football. That's not a fluke...it's a sign of the poor pressure they are putting on the opposing offense...like the easy time they gave rookie QB Tom Brandstater in tonight's game, thus making him look like this year's Joe Flacco.

Yes, this is the pre-season...but it's also a study in preparation, mostly in terms of fundamentals and in terms of desire (do these Cardinals really love this game?). These Cardinals don't look like players who love playing this game. If you love playing the game, you get excited about it. Tonight, there was no excitement whatsover. For a team that played in the Super Bowl last year to be this listless and apathetic is inexcusable...these Cardinals are acting like a bunch of jaded kids who "sorta enjoyed" their one trip to Disneyland, but, despite their parents' invitations, aren't showing much enthusiasm or interest at all in going back.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Have Warner do much of the playcalling himself. By giving the ownership more to the players, Whiz may get a lot more back. Plus, Warner is very savvy and he understands what plays are apt to work in what situations and what plays aren't.

2. Hire a defensive consultant immediately. It looks very clear that Bill Davis needs help. Perhaps with some mentoring and someone to help him practice plan and game plan, the defense might start to climb out of its current disarray. One big thing to give credit to Bill Davis for is the tackling is better...much better in fact...and much more fundamental. Interesting that young players like Michael Adams and Reggie Walker are turning heads in this regard.

53 Man Roster Prediction

RB (3): Hightower, Wells, Stephens-Howling. Wright did not do enough and he did not stand out on STs either. It came down to him or Lance Long and Long offers more on STs, and offers depth at a position where three of the top 5 WRs are currently injured. Look for Beanie Wells and LSH to split time as 3rd down RBs. And, at some point another RB may be added through waivers.

FB (1): Kreider.

WR (7): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Long, Morey.

TE (2): Spach, Becht
. Pope playing with the scrubs said it all. There goes another 3rd round draft pick down the drain. Byrd has talent, but for some reason the coaches don't seem that keen on him. Spach's been shaky, but the coaches love him. Becht is a high need player as blocking TE.

OL (9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, H. Johnson, Keith, Fowler, E. Brown. The real surprise here is Herman Johnson who is working his way toward the starting lineup. This kid looks good. Keith's progress has been slower than anticipated, but he's getting there. Elton Brown ekes onto the roster, but could be the odd man out if the Cardinals claim a T off waivers. Oliver Ross could still be the choice over Big E, but Ross reallly struggled too often in these games...and with Herman Johnson playing so well, the coaches could play him or Levi Brown at LT if need be.

They will keep all three although neither Watson or Branch did enough, IMO, to safely secure or warrant roster spots.

. Dykes still has PS eligibility, and should go unclaimed.

ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Walker, Highsmith
. Walker and Highsmith played well tonight. Plus they have real upside on STs. Walker has good fundamentals and Highsmith has good ball instincts. They are very good compliments.

OLB (5): Haggans, Okeafor, Davis, Hobson, TBD. Hobson was very good tonight. He's going to be needed a great deal. Look for a waiver wire pickup at OLB or a trade for one.

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Adams, Toler, TBD
. Adams turned in another fine effort. In addition to his interception, he has to be one of the very best tacklers on the team...and his coverage has been tight. Toler is growing...loved the way he is starting to turn back to find the ball...this shows he knows the fundamental. Now he has to react to the ball more quickly, although he did a great job of stripping McKinney of the ball on his fade pass that could have been a TD. The Cardinals need to add another CB. Ralph Brown epitomizes the current Cardinal apathy...as does Bertrand Berry.

. Johnson is showing quick growth...and has already been very good on STs. The coaches have always seemed to like Ware, but, IMO, the team really needs another true cover 2 FS.

PS (8): RB Vincent (this kid is a sleeper...he's got real talent and is now in very good shape), FB Maiu'a, G Canfield, T Pierce (or a FA), TE Byrd, WR Jones (if he isn't claimed off waivers), DE Dykes, LB Bullock.

Elliot Vallejo Update: After reaching an injury settlement with the Cardinals, he becomes eligible to be re-signed by the Cardinals (for the roster or PS) in Week 10 (game 9). It looks like he has 4 more weeks of rehab. In recent days both the Chiefs and Browns have expressed interest in signing him, once he gets cleared to play.

How many coaches in the NFL call the offensive plays and how successful are they? It seems to me the head coach has his hands full without having to devote all his time to calling plays. I also think an OC high up in a booth has a much better picture of what is going on. We are fortunate to have a Kurt Warner who is probably the best OC on the field and will end up changing half of the calls at the line anyway.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That hasn't worked very well at all the last two games. I've never seen Wilson be more ineffective.

The Cards just don't have the guns at the OLB position period.

Don't understand what has happened to Watson who was playing lights out at the end of last season.

Can't really disagree with anything you said though. We haven't had a decent defense since 1994 and I don't see anything that is going to change that in 2009.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
53 Man Roster Prediction

RB (4): Hightower, Wells, Stephens-Howling, Wright

FB (1): Kreider

WR (6): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Morey.

TE (3): Pope, Spach, Becht

(9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, H. Johnson, Keith, Fowler, E. Brown.

ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Highsmith, Hobson (ILB/OLB)

OLB (4): Haggans, Okeafor, Davis, Berry

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Adams, Toler, Brown

ST (3): Rackers, Graham, Leach

(53)