Road Woe's - what's the answer

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals have constantly stunk (I'd use a better word, but it'd be scrambled) on the road. I don't get what their problem is. Why can a team look so different home vs. away?

Are too many partying and hung over? I thought so during the Tampa game. Maybe I'm wrong, but they looked it.

I just can not figure why they can be so in sync at home and look like a turd on the road.

any answers please reply and send a CC to the Cardinals HQ.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to start fast on the road.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not arriving the night before.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not arriving the night before.

Apparently that doesn't matter, per Whis. He looked at many travel games and whether they came out early or the night before, and it had no bearing over outcome.

So, we just flat out suck on the road.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I honestly think they get away from their wives and go crazy. They can get anything they want and they are treated to everything. They are probably drinking and letting loose. The cost is paid the next day...under our eyes.

The way they play on the road suggests they can't handle the free time. There's no reason a team can look so good at home then SO LOST on the road.

Vs. Tampa Warner was TO'd at players for CONSTANTLY lining up in the wrong position. I tivo'd the game, there was a set of 8 plays in a row where at least one player was in the wrong position. In total there were 14 plays where Warner told players to move.

The defense was playing on instinct alone and not scheme.

It all points to HUNG OVER!!

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I honestly think they get away from their wives and go crazy. They can get anything they want and they are treated to everything. They are probably drinking and letting loose. The cost is paid the next day...under our eyes.

The way they play on the road suggests they can't handle the free time. There's no reason a team can look so good at home then SO LOST on the road.

Vs. Tampa Warner was TO'd at players for CONSTANTLY lining up in the wrong position. I tivo'd the game, there was a set of 8 plays in a row where at least one player was in the wrong position. In total there were 14 plays where Warner told players to move.

Hung over; are you high?:D

Seriously though I'm under the understanding that a large portion of the team doesn't drink at all, let alone the night before a game.

The reason we suck on the road is.........we suck. Yes, we've gotten better recently, however this team is trying to learn how to win. Don't worry the road wins will come soon, we're just now getting better.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team needs to learn to take as much pride in shutting up the home crowd when they are on the road as they get pumped up by our crowd at home.

When they can walk into a stadium and say..."this place will look like church in 15 minutes" then they'll be ready to move to the next level and win some damn road games.

:startfast:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Voice of experience here---I disagree. When I would show up for work hung over, I was one nasty SOB and I didn't start feeling better until I had sweated all the booze out of me. The only way you could do that was to work your butt off. Production went up instead of down.:D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team needs to learn to take as much pride in shutting up the home crowd when they are on the road as they get pumped up by our crowd at home.

When they can walk into a stadium and say..."this place will look like church in 15 minutes" then they'll be ready to move to the next level and win some damn road games.

:startfast:

So you mean they should play better at the start of the game?

:)

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A catchy name for our defense...

I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with the nickname "FLASHFLOOD DEFENSE". Our staff attorney is working on copyrighting this, even as I type this.

I would encourage everyone to use this phrase as often as humanly possible, so that I can finally install that mink lined bathtub I've had my eyes on.

:thumbup:

JTS

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you mean they should play better at the start of the game?

:)

Yes, but I actually mean to bring a cocky, arrogant new england patriot confidence into the building. To stand on the field and laugh at all the people that will shut their holes in the second quarter and walk to their cars with their heads down.

Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day and I came up with the nickname "FLASHFLOOD DEFENSE". Our staff attorney is working on copyrighting this, even as I type this.

I would encourage everyone to use this phrase as often as humanly possible, so that I can finally install that mink lined bathtub I've had my eyes on.

:thumbup:

JTS

Sweet, I love it. Run with it!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I actually mean to bring a cocky, arrogant new england patriot confidence into the building. To stand on the field and laugh at all the people that will shut their holes in the second quarter and walk to their cars with their heads down.

Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical.

Bah, that doesn't mean too much. The Dolphins were swaggering around and talking all kinds of junk to the Bills last week. I remember Antonio Smith taunting the crowd in SF and we blew that game to a terrible team.

It's not hard IMO to KNOW what will turn it around: fewer penalties and fewer turnovers will equal better road performance.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah, that doesn't mean too much. The Dolphins were swaggering around and talking all kinds of junk to the Bills last week. I remember Antonio Smith taunting the crowd in SF and we blew that game to a terrible team.

It's not hard IMO to KNOW what will turn it around: fewer penalties and fewer turnovers will equal better road performance.

I didn't say to swagger or talk junk. No...just sit there quiet and KNOW you will shut them up.

There's a huge difference in talking and knowing. If they knew they could play like they did last week and do it every week, there's no reason to talk.

BTW, you can't shut up a crowd by being a jackass...that only riles them up (hear that Vernon Davis?). You can only shut up a crowd by reaching in their chest, pulling out their collective heart and stomping on it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say to swagger or talk junk. No...just sit there quiet and KNOW you will shut them up.

There's a huge difference in talking and knowing. If they knew they could play like they did last week and do it every week, there's no reason to talk.

BTW, you can't shut up a crowd by being a jackass...that only riles them up (hear that Vernon Davis?). You can only shut up a crowd by reaching in their chest, pulling out their collective heart and stomping on it.
and then try to avoid snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, and of course those two things but I really think our D has a problem without the home crowd in a frenzy for them. It is their job to blast the offense so hard and shatter the dreams of the home crowd that our offense will have relative quiet to operate in (and thus cut down the penalties and mistakes.)

Oh, and also, SCORE POINTS. Jeez...no more tampa offensive games, please.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
fewer penalties and fewer turnovers will equal better road performance.

This is exactly what we need to win on the road and any game. We have to stop the stupid penalties and weak turnovers. Then they need to work on the mental errors that make us blow 1-2 timeouts before the second quarter has even started.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Maybe we should petition the NFL and ask them if we can play all our games at home. How about Mexico, we are 1-0 there.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Dreamcastrocks is dead on, you have to score early and by score I mean a TD and not a lousy field goal...something this team has not done all year

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theres a fine line between being careful and agressive. It seems we go into games on the road and play a little too conservative and not take any chances. We tend to fall behind and eventually we have to let it all hang out.

We need to come out and not be overly aggressive to the point where we are forcing the ball downfield. We need to come out with 4 wr's. Run a couple of wr deep with a couple running underneath routes.

Here is the key. Take what the defense gives you. Force them to cover the whole field. We have under utilized our outlet passes to the flat. It seems we always seem to get positive yards and we've had a couple of big gains when we've done that.

We just can't lay on the ropes and counterpunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard