Lute is taking a leave of absence

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did not see this happening. Lute looked great when being interviewed on ABC during yesterday's football game. Lute says it has nothing to do with health. Let's hope everything will be okay. Kevin O'Neil is now the head coach until Lute returns.
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/blogs/index.php?blog=9

UA coach Olson to take leave of absence
Arizona coach Lute Olson has announced that he is "taking a leave of
absence" and will be away from his team for some time.

The UA has announced a press conference for 12:30 p.m. to give further
details.

"I’ve given 110 percent to this team and this job," Olson said through
his wife, Christine’s press personnel. "In light of this personal matter,
I feel it is in the best interest of the team and the University of
Arizona to take a leave of absence."

Olson added that he wants to reassure everyone that this is not a health
scare, but a personal matter that needs his undivided attention.

Olson is entering his 25th season with UA and in that time he’s missed
but seven games, six of which involved the sickness and eventual death of
his first wife, Bobbi, in 2001. Olson also missed a game in the mid-1990s
when he was having back trouble.

While at the annual media day in Los Angeles on Thursday Olson gave no
indication there was any problem with him or his team.

In the interim, it’s expected that new assistant coach Kevin O’Neill will
take over coaching duties.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Thankfully Roz isn't the interim coach.

KO will do fine, he's won as many conference titles and gone as far in the Tournament as Savior Sendek. Depending on how this year goes I'd expect them to make a run at Mark Few next offseason.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully Roz isn't the interim coach.

KO will do fine, he's won as many conference titles and gone as far in the Tournament as Savior Sendek. Depending on how this year goes I'd expect them to make a run at Mark Few next offseason.

Yep, I think KO was a good steal for you guys and appropriate he'd take over for Olson.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Wow... I would hate to see the end of the Lute era start with a 'leave of absence'. Hope it isn't anything serious and he can return soon. Lute has been waiting for Marcus Williams and other bad apples to leave, and now he has it. This could be a surprising team of destiny for Lute.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lute's health is fine. He is taking time off for personal reasons and there is speculation that it has to do with Christine's side of the family. Don't know if that is true but that is what I have heard.

Last edited:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Too bad for Lute. I don't like him, but I do respect him.
I hope it has nothing to do with what we all assume it is...despite what southpaw is shoveling.

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I love Arizona basketball and Lute Olson, who personifies U of A basketball and Tucson in general, but for the past four seasons, there have been loud whispers regarding his health. He can't give an interview without shaking or breaking off what he was talking about. And at time you can see he is visually exhausted when talking to players or officials. He had a great run, but I think it is appropriate time to name O'Neill the interim for the season, see how he does with recruiting and handling the players, and then decide at the end of the season whether or not to go into a new direction.

There were rumors that Calipari or even Mark Few were among the potential successors to Lute here in Tucson, and I wouldn't mind either of those...

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
By the way... How many college coaches are legendary enough to go by a single name... Lute, Roy, Bobby, (don't call him Knight, he'll assault you) i know Mike KRejsfajsdfaskdfj at duke is famous but his name is too common.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There were rumors that Calipari or even Mark Few were among the potential successors to Lute here in Tucson, and I wouldn't mind either of those...
It's simple really. If Arizona gets back to the elite level they were at between 1986 and 2005 under O'Neill's influence as assistant then he gets the job when Lute steps down. If we keep getting 8/9 seeds and bounced in the first round they go outside the program. Remember, Arizona pays Lute more than any other hoops coach in the Pac-10 and is in the top 10 nationally in head coaching salaries. We'll be able to get somebody, being one of the highest revenue-generating programs in the country allows you to offer almost everyone a raise.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why Lute is quitting. Maybe he's tired. Maybe it's something else. The signs pointing to a lessening of his success or drive or interest in continuing have been out there for a while.

Every time this was pointed out to you Mao, you steadfastly denied the obvious or attacked the poster. Attacking anyone who disagrees with you is classless.

I'm not a UA basher and have never been. Won't be in the future either.

Oh, the real problem? Lute is old. Getting old sucks. Some of us are there now, me included.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I don't know why Lute is quitting. Maybe he's tired. Maybe it's something else. The signs pointing to a lessening of his success or drive or interest in continuing have been out there for a while.

Every time this was pointed out to you Mao, you steadfastly denied the obvious or attacked the poster. Attacking anyone who disagrees with you is classless.

Skkorp - I think its pretty obvious that this has little to do with Lute "losing drive" or tired of "lessening of success"...

Lute has a personal issue and being as dignified as he is - he will keep it close to the vest. As all Cats fans know when in doubt you trust in Lute - On and off the court.

If it was what you insinuated he would have been gone for good back in April.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What signs? The back-to-back Top 5 recruiting classes in 2007 and 2008? The solid head start on the same for 2009? I would've agreed with you if you used 2002-2005 as an example as I have on this board in the past, but prior to this LOA Lute has been heavily involved in the program and all it's phases. He obviously wasn't when he was courting Christine Olson (which probably cost Arizona Marvin Williams and Law Hill) and mourning Bobbi and I have admitted as such. But it certainly wasn't Jim Livengood who orchestrated the hiring of Kevin O'Neill. And there's no way Josh Pastner, Miles Simon, and Jim Rosborough by themselves could land these last couple recruiting classes while coaching a bunch of Euro-league players to the NCAA Tournament.

I only point people out as classless when they are. See post #13 as an example or one of the multiple other times you have bashed Lute's age, supposed shaking, and Parkinson's rumors on this very board.

Perhaps not an Arizona hater, but definitely a Lute basher. Just because you throw veiled shots out there instead of over-the-top smack talk doesn't make you any less than the obnoxious ASU fans on this board.

Last edited:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
And you have no class.

Lute Olson is the best coach in any sport in the history of the state this website is named after.

The pathetic thing is that you believe that. UA's softball coach is still better than Olson...That coach went to what school?
Dennis Erickson is better than Lute.
Pat Murphy, Brock, etc were/are better coaches than Lute.
A point could be made for Ben Howland, NAU's old coach.
Of course Kush is just as good as lute.
I think Dan Devine was a decent coach at ASU.

Where did you come up with that comment, and do you actually believe it?

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I severly trimmed this thread, and will probably do more trimming. Please do not turn this into another Pissing match, but limit to discussion of Lute's absence, and implications for UofA's season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
NOTE: I severly trimmed this thread, and will probably do more trimming. Please do not turn this into another Pissing match, but limit to discussion of Lute's absence, and implications for UofA's season.

BOOOO!:)

Please PM my response to AZBALLER:D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veiled shots, Mao? They weren't veiled.

I've been saying openly for a long time that Lute was losing it and you always had Shakur or some other reasons I no longer remember to blame for UA's failures. Anything or anybody but Lute.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Veiled shots, Mao? They weren't veiled.

I've been saying openly for a long time that Lute was losing it and you always had Shakur or some other reasons I no longer remember to blame for UA's failures. Anything or anybody but Lute.

Pretty sad that with Lute "losing it" and with some of the worst teams the UA has had in the past 22 year, they were still better than ASU has been in the past 22, in their BEST seasons...

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad that with Lute "losing it" and with some of the worst teams the UA has had in the past 22 year, they were still better than ASU has been in the past 22, in their BEST seasons...

Sadly, this is very true.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me just say Lute's health is not in question. I know why he took a leave of absence and from what I know, he should be back in three weeks or less.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've admitted repeatedly the problems with the program over the last couple years were a direct result of Lute Olson. The problems were not due to Lute's age however, they were due to him taking time away from the program to mourn Bobbi and then to court Christine.

Had Bobbi Olson not contracted ovarian cancer Lute would've been on campus when Marvin Williams visited to ensure what was supposed to be his commitment trip. He would've been on the summer recruiting circuit and scouted Law Hill and Darren Collison (two kids whose life dream was to play for Arizona) instead of delegating that responsibility and Arizona ending up with Fendi Onobun and JP Prince. Instead he was cavorting around Europe or wherever with Christine. So yeah, those huge recruiting mistakes are Lute's fault and a big reason we ended up where we are but again age has nothing to do with it. Lute's age has nothing to do with Arizona not landing a tenured NBA player since Andre Igoudala got out of his LOI from Arkansas.

This latest LOA is due to a family matter as well. Lute's in good health and is a very young 73. Anyone who knows anything about the program (i.e. not you) can easily make a better argument that libido is to blame more than his age.

Last edited:

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
Someone that I know who is committed to go and play at U of A next year for Olson has said that Lute called him and told him not to worry and he would be back in the beginning of the season. Nothing newsbreaking but he is keeping his tabs on his recruits coming in next year to make sure they arent worried.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Someone that I know who is committed to go and play at U of A next year for Olson has said that Lute called him and told him not to worry and he would be back in the beginning of the season. Nothing newsbreaking but he is keeping his tabs on his recruits coming in next year to make sure they arent worried.
Lute must have made a miraculous recovery from the health problem we know was responsible for his leave of absence.

Sincerely,

Arizona Wildcat "Insiders" Skkorp and AzBaller

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort