Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
-
You must be registered for see images attach

Apr 06, 5:00 PM
Ford Center
620/92.3

Suns-Hornets Preview

The New Orleans Hornets will try to overcome a series of injuries to match their season-high four-game winning streak and close the gap in the playoff race Friday when they host the Phoenix Suns.

New Orleans (35-40) could be without shooting guard Desmond Mason, who is averaging 13.7 points, for the rest of the season after breaking his nose and cheek bone in a 102-93 overtime win against Seattle on Wednesday.

Mason, the only Hornets player to start every game this season, took an elbow to the face from Seattle's Chris Wilcox and a CT scan taken at a hospital revealed the breaks.

"These injuries to his face will force him out of action for at least the next few games and possibly the remainder of the season," Hornets general manager Jeff Bower said Thursday.

The Hornets also listed starting forward Tyson Chandler (left big toe bruise) and guard Chris Paul (left foot) as doubtful after the duo also got hurt against the SuperSonics.

Chandler, second in the NBA with 12.4 rebounds per game, was wearing a walking boot after re-aggravating the injury Wednesday. Paul, the squad's leader with 17.3 points and 8.7 assists, has been playing through a stress reaction in the foot that may need surgery this offseason.

"When guys get the opportunity, they have got to be ready to step in and perform," Hornets coach Byron Scott said.

Scott's players did just that against Seattle, as top reserve Bobby Jackson scored seven of his 18 points in the extra period to help the club remain 2 1/2 games back of the Los Angeles Clippers for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

The Hornets have seven games remaining, one more than Los Angeles, and have crept back into the playoff chase with three consecutive wins after going 4-10 in the previous 14 contests. They have won four games in a row twice this season, starting 2006-07 with a 4-0 mark and matching it from Nov. 14-21. The latter run was halted by a 92-83 loss at Phoenix on Nov. 22.

New Orleans came short of upsetting the Suns (56-19), holders of the second-best record in the NBA, in the following matchup on March 9, but its 104-103 defeat was its fifth straight loss to Phoenix.

The Hornets have dropped five consecutive home games to the Suns and have only managed to beat them once in the last 11 overall meetings, a 91-87 road victory on Dec. 12, 2005.

Phoenix will try to continue the trend and rebound from its worst shooting performance of the season in a 92-85 loss at San Antonio on Thursday.

The Suns shot a season-low 38.6 percent from the field, including 2-of-11 from beyond the arc to tie their season low in 3s made. They also set a season low in assists (14) and matched a season low in field goals (32).

"We have to stand strong at the end of the season. We have seven games left," said Suns forward Amare Stoudemire, who had 15 points and eight rebounds. "We have to step it up a notch."

The loss was also the Suns' second-lowest scoring output of the season and reduced their lead over the Spurs for second place in the West to two games with seven left.

Steve Nash, who had 20 points and seven assists, has averaged 16.2 points and 7.8 assists in the last five games with New Orleans.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know what to expect from this game. Last night was disappointing, but now they have to come back less than 24 hours later and play on the road against a depleted team that will be looking to steal one. I guess if the Suns want to stay ahead of the Spurs, every game is a must-win now, so they better play like it.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
If Mason, Chandler, & Paul are out, the suns need to put this game away so the starters can get some rest in the 4th quarter.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amare gets 2 quick fouls on moving screens (one away from the ball)...

Marc Jackson is nailing 15-20ft jumpshots

Good 1st qtr for the Suns and LB was a huge spark off the bench.

Last edited:

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
diaw started?
nice..

i hope diaw scores 20pts or more.. and i want the suns to win by a margin of 40pts

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hornets are zoning (illegally), but the Suns are too 3pt happy right now. Finally go inside and Devin Brown flops to get the 3rd foul on Amare.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Amare picks up his 4th offensive foul in the game 1 minute into the 3rd qtr. All he did was try to post up David West. Good job Bennette Salvatore.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yup, 2 illegal screens, 1 flop by Devin Brown as Amare posted him up and then another offensive foul as Amare tried to get post up position on West.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Go start your own "No complaining about officiating" game thread then. You can sit in there and talk about how horrible the Suns are. Or just finally put me on ignore.

I'm not even complaining about the officiating much except for the weak calls on Amare. The rest of the game hasn't been that badly officiated but Amare seems to be singled out.

Hell, EJ just said Bennette Salvatore has been making suspect calls.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bell 0-8 for 3 pointers.

Wow, he's hitting his mid-range shots though. The Suns fell in love with shooting the 3 tonight (they have been getting good looks). They're probably just so surprised to be open after last night against SA.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Through 3 quarters...

Fouls:
New Orleans - 15
Phoenix - 14

FT Attempts:
New Orleans - 6
Phoenix - 9

Griping about refs in this game is laughable as suggesting EJ's criticism is valid. We're talking about the same guy who said the blatant goaltending call by Amare that the refs missed last night was a good call. The Suns are playing apathetic basketball against a bunch of borderline NBA players, the refs have nothing to do with this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go start your own "No complaining about officiating" game thread then. You can sit in there and talk about how horrible the Suns are. Or just finally put me on ignore.

I'm not even complaining about the officiating much except for the weak calls on Amare. The rest of the game hasn't been that badly officiated but Amare seems to be singled out.

Hell, EJ just said Bennette Salvatore has been making suspect calls.

uh, who's talking about "how horrible the Suns are"? I just think it's pretty hilarious that DURING EVERY SINGLE GAME, ALL YOU DO IS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE REFS.

hell, I've even seen threads where you start complaining about them before the game EVEN STARTS. Those are my favorite posts.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and another stellar effort from Boris again tonight. Good lord, what a collasal disappointment he's been.