Ziegler gone to Boston

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Single-A SP and a Single-A SS for a really good closer.

I wish I was joking when I say this, but I could be a better GM than Dave Stewart. I truly believe this.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Waiting to here final details as to what we received in return. Not surprised at all that Zeigler is gone. Hard to believe we didn't get anything more than two single A players...

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once again it looks like the FO got the short end of a trade. Should of waited to get the most before the deadline.

TJ

Reaction score
Once again it looks like the FO got the short end of a trade. Should of waited to get the most before the deadline.
Problem is this team hasn't learned from past mistakes. Whether it's Byrnes, Towers, or Stewart, the team simply gets bent over at the table with every deal.

My fear is we're gonna see Goldy gone for pennies on the dollar,

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) have acquired RHP Jose Almonte and INF Luis Alejandro Basabe from the Boston Red Sox for RHP Brad Ziegler, as announced by D-backs Sr. Vice President & General Manager Dave Stewart

Almonte
, 20, is in his fourth season in the Red Sox farm system. The 6-foot-2, 205 pounder has 10 starts for Single-A Greenville this season, going 2-2 with a 3.91 ERA (23 ER in 53.0 IP), .249 opponents average, 13 walks and 45 strikeouts. He held righties to a .238 average (31-for-130) with 29 strikeouts while lefties hit .268 (19-for-71) with 16 strikeouts.

In 2015 at Short-Season A Lowell, his 3.43 ERA ranked sixth in the Red Sox organization, he ranked among New York-Penn League leaders in opponent average (2nd,.171), strikeouts (5th, 64), starts (T-2nd, 14), and WHIP (7th, 1.16), and his 8.77 strikeouts per 9.0 innings ratio was second-highest among league starters. He spent the 2014 season with the GCL Red Sox and ranked among team leaders in innings (2nd, 47.2) and strikeouts (3rd, 33). In 2013, he made his professional debut for the DSL Red Sox (12 starts). The native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic signed as an international free agent on July 2, 2012.

Basabe, 19, is in his fourth professional season in the Red Sox Minor League system. The 5-foot-10, 170-pound switch-hitter has played in 64 games at Single-A Greenville this season, hitting .310 (71-for-229) with 16 doubles, 4 triples, 4 homers, 25 RBI, 37 walks and 14 stolen bases while playing second base and shortstop.

He spent 2015 with the Rookie-Level Gulf Coast Red Sox, posting a .387 OBP and reaching base in 23 of 27 games with an at-bat. He also spent 2 seasons (2013-14) with the Rookie-Level Dominican Summer League Red Sox. The native of El Vigia, Venezuela, has a twin brother, Luis Alexander, and they signed with the Red Sox as international free agents on August 26, 2012, their 16th birthday.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither guy shows up on the mlb.com Boston top 30 prospects list. Basabe has a similarly named twin brother who does. Let's just hope the front office wasn't thinking that's who they were getting...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bottom line is the gave Ziegler away for almost nothing. So now who is the closer?? That now becomes a major need.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Bottom line is the gave Ziegler away for almost nothing. So now who is the closer?? That now becomes a major need.
Don't really neee a closer, when you can't get to the 9th with a lead.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't really neee a closer, when you can't get to the 9th with a lead.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
True but there are other teams that do and that could have driven up the price as we get closer to the deadline. But, given that Ziegler is a FA at the end of the year maybe this is all ARZ could have gotten, guess we'll never know.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Zeigler is only under contract for 3 more months. We have no use for him for those three months and no guarantee that we'd be able to re sign him in the off-season. Not to mention that he'll be 38 years old for next year's playoff run.

TJ

Reaction score
Zeigler is only under contract for 3 more months. We have no use for him for those three months and no guarantee that we'd be able to re sign him in the off-season. Not to mention that he'll be 38 years old for next year's playoff run.
Sure, trade him. But for contenders in need of bullpen help, particularly closers, teams could get a lot more in return. This was a desperation move by the DBacks, which continues to show that this front office is poor at negotiating.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Red Sox lost Kimbrel for 3-6 weeks and they were desperate for a reliever. Stewart should of been patient and instead he got 2 guys who will probably never play for the Diamondbacks.

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Are they hurting to justify saving $2.7M? They just landed that billion dollar television deal. They are going to turn into SD & MIA after they went on their respective spending sprees only to bust on meeting lofty expectations.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Are they hurting to justify saving $2.7M? They just landed that billion dollar television deal. They are going to turn into SD & MIA after they went on their respective spending sprees only to bust on meeting lofty expectations.

We're in the bottom 10 in attendance on the season and I am pretty sure the ownership group was counting on an attendance bump when ok'ing the salary for Greinke.