Zero Dark Thirty

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone help the old bald guy and his bride with the above questions? Please? Pretty please??? ;)

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I guess the stealth birds aren't blackhawks but I know I saw a blackhawk inbound in the movie. In real life not sure of course but I remember something about a contingency unit of Marines in 46's or 53 Echo's...

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think Jessica Chastain's acting was all that great, especially not Oscar worthy.

The beginning with the phone calls got me, especially since they were real life people. I am glad I watched it but it's not a movie I would want to watch again and again. (too real life heavy for this rom-com lover).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I saw it tonight. It was quite good. It held my attention throughout, and was riveting at times. That said, I don't mind a slow pace in movies, and this could have been much shorter.

Solid film. I agree it was a little long, but the payoff at the end was worth it.

"Zero Dark Thirty" in military terms means 12:30 AM. Zero Dark is midnight, 00:00 on a 24 hour clock, 30 being added to connote 30 minutes past. During the raid you can see Maya look at the clock being shown as 00:30.

Ok, the title finally makes sense to me now!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Solid film. I agree it was a little long, but the payoff at the end was worth it.

"Zero Dark Thirty" in military terms means 12:30 AM. Zero Dark is midnight, 00:00 on a 24 hour clock, 30 being added to connote 30 minutes past. During the raid you can see Maya look at the clock being shown as 00:30.

Ok, the title finally makes sense to me now!

Ha! Zero Dark Thirty is more just common military jargon. I never heard anyone actually say "Zero", more often it was "O", as in O Dark thirty. Usually the convo would go "When are we heading out?" "O Dark Thirty."

Simply put, it just means sometime during the middle of the night.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ha! Zero Dark Thirty is more just common military jargon. I never heard anyone actually say "Zero", more often it was "O", as in O Dark thirty. Usually the convo would go "When are we heading out?" "O Dark Thirty."

Dark Thirty was also the time my Grandpa used to like to get up to go fishing when I was a boy.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Good to know, thanks!

I used to work with a marine that talked military jargon in the office. I loved it. I still use a lot of it today.

It still cracks me up today thinking about how he used to announce that he was making a "head call" when he had to go to the bathroom.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn