You're the Diamondbacks GM, what moves do you make this offseason?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
that is the worst lineup possible.. Young in the 3 hole? What with his 20 HR and .245 average and sub .300 OBP? doesnt make sense.

Would be
Castillo
Drew
Upton-big year next year, his bro is killing it in ALCS
Blalock
Reynolds
Jackson
Snyder
Young
I've suggested Upton for third in the order, so I like your proposal.

I would switch Young and Snyder, though, to split up the strikeouts of Young and the pitchers' position.

Young's speed, followed by Snyder's solid power could produce at the bottom of the order.

And I believe that Snyder needs a hitter behind him less than Young does, particularly at this stage of his career.

HooverDam

Reaction score
There are too many strikeouts in the lineup.... They need to decide who the future of this franchise is, Upton, Reynolds or Young. You can't have that big of a whole in the lineup and win. If Upton plays the entire season you have potentially 3 out of the top 5 strikeout guys in the league

Thats only true if none of them improve. Reynolds will probably always be a strikeout machine, but Upton and Young should be able to lower their strikeout totals a bunch.

JUp10 CY24

Reaction score
Thats only true if none of them improve. Reynolds will probably always be a strikeout machine, but Upton and Young should be able to lower their strikeout totals a bunch.

Especially Upton. He is going to have a great year next year (barring injury) and I look forward to watching him grow as the year progresses.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok, not going to start a new thread but just read article in AZ Republic regarding Byrnes and the state of the franchise. While it is known that we have a bunch of FA's and that we are probably going to lose most if not all of them. The most alarming thing about the article is that we are slated to have between 10-15 million to spend on FA's. My question is how are we going to fill the voids left by our FA's and sign any replacements with that kind of limit?

I would love to target hitters like Baldelli and Blalock, but we need a replacement for Johnson if he leaves. Looks like trades are more likely than FA signings contrary to what Byrnes says.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I would really go after Mark DeRosa from the Cubs.

I think it would take someone like Connor Jackson or multiple others to pry him away. Maybe Rauch and someone else like Tracey.

Anyway here's last years stats on some players I'd target in a trade.

Player TEAM POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
1. M Kemp LAD OF 155 606 93 176 38 5 18 76 278 46 153 35 11 .340 .459 .290
2. M DeRosa CHC 2B 149 505 103 144 30 3 21 87 243 69 106 6 0 .376 .481 .285
3. J Hardy MIL SS 146 569 78 161 31 4 24 74 272 52 98 2 1 .343 .478 .283
4. F Lopez STL 2B 143 481 64 136 28 2 6 46 186 43 82 8 8 .343 .387 .283
5. F Sanchez PIT 2B 145 569 75 154 26 2 9 52 211 21 63 0 1 .298 .371 .271

Last edited:

p27159

Reaction score
we won't be making any big moves

Well, there's a bunch of stuff that we all would like to see happen. A lot of it sounds like a "Christmas wish list" to me and isn't very realistic. I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about a major roster shake-up, because I don't see it happening. I think we are invested in our young players and aren't about to give any of them up for stop-gap veterans at this time. We already screwed up with Quentin (and I agree with whoever posted the point that his college/minor league success was a good indicator that he would break out at some point -- I was excited when I heard we drafted him). We don't have a lot of money to spend on FAs.

Some of you mentioned getting a big-time closer: that will NOT happen. This franchise has never had one. The biggest move we made in that area was when we got Mantei, but back then, he wasn't viewed as an elite closer. We are even more cost-conscious now, and the big-time closers will be asking for more money than we can afford to spend to fill ALL our roster spots. That's too much to throw at one guy who will pitch only 70 innings a year. And don't forget, it wasn't just whoever was closing that was blowing late leads. It seemed like all of our relievers took turns coughing up leads. One week or two it was Qualls, then it was Pena, then it was Lyon, etc. All of them also had very good periods too, including Lyon We tend to remember the bad and forget the good.

Another thing, and I think our announcers brought this up and I completely agree with them: our lack of offense magnified our bullpen issues. Think about it: if your starter goes 6 innings, you are counting on your bullpen to pitch 3 innings. If your relivers have a collective ERA of 3.00, which is pretty good, then odds are they will give up one run on average in those 3 innings. It's impossible to pitch 3 scoreless over and over again. With our anemic offense, whenver we DID have the lead, it was usually 2-1 or 3-2, and they wouldn't score again down the stretch, so it wasn't hard to predict that the lead was going to get blown. If we presented the bullpen with a 4-2 or 5-2 lead, then when they give up a run every now and then, you wouldn't even notice it so much.

So, as far as moves go, I don't expect us to re-sign virtually any of our FAs. I'd love to see Cruz and Hudson return, but I doubt either will. We may make one or two token moves to "shore up" the pen, but I'm usually very wary of those. Have you all noticed that a lot of teams have a "good" pen one year and a mediocre or lousy one the next with virtually the same guys? I think 2 issues are at play here (1) sample size: with only a small number of innings to work with, you can have a really low ERA one year and a high one the next, and (2) the "best" pitchers are normally starters, or maybe closers, and the middle guys are often those that can't make it in either of the other two areas. That tells me you're probably not going to get stellar years out of those kinds of pitchers on a regular basis. Sure there are some exceptions, guys like Stanton and Nelson that the Yankees used in their pen to help them win several WS, but I don't think most middle relievers can be relied on to be consistent. My theory is if you get a really good year out of a middle reliever who wasn't that good in the past, SELL HIGH!!

Sorry for rambling, and I haven't mentioned any moves I would make, but that's because I really don't see us doing much.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere, forgot the person's name, who stated that the D'Backs are turning into the Marlins of the West, I wouldn't go that far but the personnel decisions have gotten questionable.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
I think we just owe too much money still in our deferred payments from 2001. We just don't have the money to go get these guys. I think that's why we're stocking up on draft picks. Then we can hopefully trade some young talent to mix in a few big veteran bats.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I read somewhere, forgot the person's name, who stated that the D'Backs are turning into the Marlins of the West, I wouldn't go that far but the personnel decisions have gotten questionable.

Really?

They paid a pretty penny to keep one of their own who was a looming free agent (Byrnes) and paid the same price in prospects to acquire a highly coveted pitcher (Haren) last season/off-season.

They're discussing long term contracts with Webb, Haren and some of their other young guns so they can remain Diamondbacks for a duration of their careers.

This sounds nothing like the Marlins model. Whoever said the Dbacks are going that direction is a damn fool.

Also, what personnel decisions have been questionable where they've been "prudent"? Acquiring Dunn? Overpaying Byrnes? Trading for Haren?

Sorry, I fail to see the comparison.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I would really go after Mark DeRosa from the Cubs.

I think it would take someone like Connor Jackson or multiple others to pry him away. Maybe Rauch and someone else like Tracey.

Jackson for DeRosa? No thanks.

I like Mark, but not at that price.

Otherwise, your list of targeted players has some nice players on it. Getting Kemp would be fantastic, slide him in as another young gun in a young OF. That in mind, I seriously doubt the Dodgers trade him within the division unless they're getting Webb or Haren back, to which I say no way, no how.

I'd love to see Arizona get Freddy Sanchez. He'd fit very nicely in the two hole and would be a good table setter for the Snakes.

As for Hardy, I doubt he's going anywhere. Actually, I think you're more inclined to see Milwaukee trade Rickie Weeks than JJ.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Ok, not going to start a new thread but just read article in AZ Republic regarding Byrnes and the state of the franchise. While it is known that we have a bunch of FA's and that we are probably going to lose most if not all of them. The most alarming thing about the article is that we are slated to have between 10-15 million to spend on FA's. My question is how are we going to fill the voids left by our FA's and sign any replacements with that kind of limit?

Don't think I'm targeting you persay, however you've put up some discussion topics for me to reply to and I'm jumping at the chance. Again, it's not meant to directly target you.

Call me crazy, but I'm one who really isn't all that concerned about Arizona's potentially quiet post-season. I'm assuming the 10-15 million Arizona is limiting themselves to is done for a good reason. I can only hopefully assume they're trying to save up as much as they can to re-sign Webb, Haren and some of the other young guns who sadly won't be young and cheap forever.

In a perfect world? Sure, I'd love to see Francisco Rodriguez here. However to me, there's not a closer in this sport worth the money K-Rod is allegedelly commanding (15 million a year??? Come on now) and if you want my frank opinion, if you ask me whether I'd rather have Webb, Haren, Drew, Young, Jackson and Upton long term or I'd rather have K-Rod, it's not even a hesitation on which side I'd pick. Frankly, there's not one name on that list of players I mentioned above that I'd like to see Arizona lose in the future to have Rodriguez. Not a single one.

Again, paint me cautiously optimistic for the logic behind Arizona's "low spending" ways. They've got several big mountains they're eventually going to have to face eventually, and they're going to need to be as productive with the money as they possibly can be.

I would love to target hitters like Baldelli and Blalock, but we need a replacement for Johnson if he leaves. Looks like trades are more likely than FA signings contrary to what Byrnes says.

Neither Baldelli nor Blalock seem to have ability to remain healthy. Both are too big of injury risks to look in to IMO.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really?

They paid a pretty penny to keep one of their own who was a looming free agent (Byrnes) and paid the same price in prospects to acquire a highly coveted pitcher (Haren) last season/off-season.

They're discussing long term contracts with Webb, Haren and some of their other young guns so they can remain Diamondbacks for a duration of their careers.

This sounds nothing like the Marlins model. Whoever said the Dbacks are going that direction is a damn fool.

Also, what personnel decisions have been questionable where they've been "prudent"? Acquiring Dunn? Overpaying Byrnes? Trading for Haren?

Sorry, I fail to see the comparison.

The personel decisions I am referring to are the signing Byrnes instead of Hudson, losing Dunn makes us worse than better as we will miss his bat, the 2 picks we get for Dunn will not help us next year and we will not go after a big bat in FA. The Haren deal is the one move I would say they hit on.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't think I'm targeting you persay, however you've put up some discussion topics for me to reply to and I'm jumping at the chance. Again, it's not meant to directly target you.

Call me crazy, but I'm one who really isn't all that concerned about Arizona's potentially quiet post-season. I'm assuming the 10-15 million Arizona is limiting themselves to is done for a good reason. I can only hopefully assume they're trying to save up as much as they can to re-sign Webb, Haren and some of the other young guns who sadly won't be young and cheap forever.

In a perfect world? Sure, I'd love to see Francisco Rodriguez here. However to me, there's not a closer in this sport worth the money K-Rod is allegedelly commanding (15 million a year??? Come on now) and if you want my frank opinion, if you ask me whether I'd rather have Webb, Haren, Drew, Young, Jackson and Upton long term or I'd rather have K-Rod, it's not even a hesitation on which side I'd pick. Frankly, there's not one name on that list of players I mentioned above that I'd like to see Arizona lose in the future to have Rodriguez. Not a single one.

Again, paint me cautiously optimistic for the logic behind Arizona's "low spending" ways. They've got several big mountains they're eventually going to have to face eventually, and they're going to need to be as productive with the money as they possibly can be.

Neither Baldelli nor Blalock seem to have ability to remain healthy. Both are too big of injury risks to look in to IMO.

I don't mind be targeted, gives me a chance to discuss things. I worry about the low cost players due to the fact that we have no 2B, SP, big bat in our farm system to replace Hudson, RJ, and Dunn. Without these guys we are in trouble without replacements. For those who are saying Scherzer will replace RJ, I already consider Scherzer a part of the rotation to replace Davis.

The good news is there are some SP's out there: Penny, Wolf, Lohse to replace RJ on the cheap, and guys like Freddy Sanchez, Felipe Lopez, & Adam Kennedy to replace Hudson.

As for Blalock ans Baldelli, they maybe injury risks but both are productive players. Blalock's option just got picked up for $6 million and Baldelli has a list of suitors in pursuit of him. TB would love to bring him back. Either would have to be acquired by trade.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
If I was made GM for a day, I'd start by letting Hudson, Dunn and Lyon all walk. Offer them all arbitration, so we'll get those compensation picks. Then we're just loaded our farm team again.

Then here's the series of moves I'd make to sign some "stop gap" players. Do I think this will happen, hell no. Can I dream... yeah.

-Sign Mark Loretta to play 2B.
-Trade Chad Tracy, Eric Byrnes, Yusimero Petit, Chad Qualls, as well as 2 prospects (no one huge obviously) to Seattle for JJ Putz and Miguel Batista (Seattle would consider this as they are listening to offer for Putz, they unload Batista, and get Tracy to play 1B/DH for them. The Mariners do need OF help as Ichiro is their only legitimate starter. It is close salary wise...
-Resign Juan Cruz to a reasonable contract
-Make offers to Jason Isringhausen and Arthur Rhodes.
-Move Reynolds to 1B, Jackson to LF permanently.
-Contact the Angels about Chone Figgins as a 3B. (It could help them re-sign Texiera, then we could get a legitimate leadoff hitter at 3B).
-Sign Mark Prior to a 2 year contract.
-Sign Luis Gonzalez to a 1 year contract.

That would leave us with a roster of:

C:
Snyder
Montero
Hammock

IF:
Reynolds
Loretta
Drew
Figgins
Ojeda
Burke

OF:
Gonzalez
Jackson
Upton
Young
Salazar
Romero

SP's:
Webb
Haren
Prior
Scherzer
Davis

RP's
Putz
Cruz
Pena
Rauch
Batista

Lineup of:
1) Figgins - 3B
2) Loretta - 2B
3) Jackson - LF
4) Drew - SS
5) Reynolds - 1B
6) Young - CF
7) Upton - RF
8) Snyder - C

Bench:
Gonzo could backup 1B and then Jackson in LF, Ojeda could get a good amount of playing time backing up 2nd, short and third. Burke should never have to get off the bench thankfully. In the OF, Salazar and Romero can have their moments.

Pitching:
Our BP is improved with a legitimate closer, no more closer by committee. Our reliever's are veteran pitchers who could get the job done. Our staff is then amazing if all goes to plan with Webb, Haren, Prior (if healthy), Davis(if he somehow returns to his old self) and then Scherzer.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I was made GM for a day, I'd start by letting Hudson, Dunn and Lyon all walk. Offer them all arbitration, so we'll get those compensation picks. Then we're just loaded our farm team again.

Then here's the series of moves I'd make to sign some "stop gap" players. Do I think this will happen, hell no. Can I dream... yeah.

-Sign Mark Loretta to play 2B.
-Trade Chad Tracy, Eric Byrnes, Yusimero Petit, Chad Qualls, as well as 2 prospects (no one huge obviously) to Seattle for JJ Putz and Miguel Batista (Seattle would consider this as they are listening to offer for Putz, they unload Batista, and get Tracy to play 1B/DH for them. The Mariners do need OF help as Ichiro is their only legitimate starter. It is close salary wise...
-Resign Juan Cruz to a reasonable contract
-Make offers to Jason Isringhausen and Arthur Rhodes.
-Move Reynolds to 1B, Jackson to LF permanently.
-Contact the Angels about Chone Figgins as a 3B. (It could help them re-sign Texiera, then we could get a legitimate leadoff hitter at 3B).
-Sign Mark Prior to a 2 year contract.
-Sign Luis Gonzalez to a 1 year contract.

That would leave us with a roster of:

C:
Snyder
Montero
Hammock

IF:
Reynolds
Loretta
Drew
Figgins
Ojeda
Burke

OF:
Gonzalez
Jackson
Upton
Young
Salazar
Romero

SP's:
Webb
Haren
Prior
Scherzer
Davis

RP's
Putz
Cruz
Pena
Rauch
Batista

Lineup of:
1) Figgins - 3B
2) Loretta - 2B
3) Jackson - LF
4) Drew - SS
5) Reynolds - 1B
6) Young - CF
7) Upton - RF
8) Snyder - C

Bench:
Gonzo could backup 1B and then Jackson in LF, Ojeda could get a good amount of playing time backing up 2nd, short and third. Burke should never have to get off the bench thankfully. In the OF, Salazar and Romero can have their moments.

Pitching:
Our BP is improved with a legitimate closer, no more closer by committee. Our reliever's are veteran pitchers who could get the job done. Our staff is then amazing if all goes to plan with Webb, Haren, Prior (if healthy), Davis(if he somehow returns to his old self) and then Scherzer.

I would:
Sign 2b Adam Kennedy
Trade for 1B Hank Blalock & Frank Francisco with the package mentioned for Batista & Putz
Sign Mark Prior

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Funny to look back over the comments in this thread. You just never know how things will evolve...

We now have Rauch who's been lights out since the beginning of June. Qualls has also been stellar...

We have Ryan Roberts as second base who is showing he can be our everyday man at that position.

Reynolds is turning into a perennial all-star thirdbaseman who will be a steady 30 HR, 100 RBI man.

Montero is making a BIG case to be our everyday catcher.

Parra has solidified an everyday spot either in left or center...

Upton and Drew are where we need them to be.

And our starting pitching, even without Webb, has been far and away good enough to put the team in position to win on a consistent basis.

So, what's missing...

Offense at First Base and Centerfield.

More bullpen help.

If David and/or Garland are sent packing, we'll obviously need to replace them.

Maybe a better alternative to Snyder behind Montero.

The team really isn't that far off from competing for the post season... First Base and Centerfield have absolutely killed them. :bang:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Adam Dunn asking for a ton of money or something?

Dbacks offered $10 million/year. HE turned it down, signed with Washington for the same after figuring out no one would pay him more.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dbacks offered $10 million/year. HE turned it down, signed with Washington for the same after figuring out no one would pay him more.

Hindsight and all, but we really should have offered arbitration and collected a couple of more draft picks.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Arbitration would have run 16-18 million. Dunn is not worth that.

Guy was looking for $100M, he would have declined a 1 year deal for that amount because he thought he was going to cash in like Manny, O-Dogg, etc, but the economy gave them a reality check.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson