Your Wish is my Command

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I got a couple of emails asking off-field behavior aside, how good is he?

He's potentially extremely good. He has a good feel for leverage and shows outstanding agility. He has a quick twitch first step and can split blockers if they give him a small seam. His upper body strength is outstanding and combined with his use of leverage he can move bigger defenders. His 10 yard time is fast for a DT and he shows closing speed on passers and ball carriers. He uses a good wrap up technique when tackling, coupled with his strength he can bring down QBs is he just gets a piece of them. Even strong ones like Newton will have trouble shaking him off. He can collapse the pocket and if he develops more lower body strength he can likely move it back quickly. He is potentially more disruptive than someone like Williams was because he is far more athletic. He is a decent anchor tackle, but needs to stay focused or a lineman who stays low can push him out of position.

He has good hands and was actually used on offense. Once rolling he's hard to bring down. He might be used in goal line gimmick plays as a blocker or receiver.

His main negatives surround his motor. He disappeared in too many games. He did play well against Alabama, but didn't show up in games Mississippi was struggling even when he could have been a difference maker. He talks about loving the game and wanting to be great, but he doesn't show it on the field. He's not the leave it all on the field type. He's has had at least one concussion and a variety of injuries.

Could the Cards win big with him? Sure! Did Mississippi? No! My main concern with this pick other than off-field is that the board when the Cards chose had multiple, quality tackles who could immediately contribute. All the sure thing CBs were gone. They could have chosen a player who was almost certain to make a significant contribution to a Super Bowl run. There's no question this young man might. I take even money with the dealer's showing an Ace and there are lots of 10s & pictures still in the deck.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thanks Harry!

I know this isn't a risk you take, and honestly, this typically isn't a risk Keim has taken in rounds 1 & 2. So they are either very confident or they feel with the current roster and situation, this is a year they can take such a gamble.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Harry. My concern is as you posted earlier, BASK being over confident in their ability to keep character issue players in line.

Thing every time I doubt them they prove me wrong, for the most part.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I got a couple of emails asking off-field behavior aside, how good is he?

He's potentially extremely good. He has a good feel for leverage and shows outstanding agility. He has a quick twitch first step and can split blockers if they give him a small seam. His upper body strength is outstanding and combined with his use of leverage he can move bigger defenders. His 10 yard time is fast for a DT and he shows closing speed on passers and ball carriers. He uses a good wrap up technique when tackling, coupled with his strength he can bring down QBs is he just gets a piece of them. Even strong ones like Newton will have trouble shaking him off. He can collapse the pocket and if he develops more lower body strength he can likely move it back quickly. He is potentially more disruptive than someone like Williams was because he is far more athletic. He is a decent anchor tackle, but needs to stay focused or a lineman who stays low can push him out of position.

He has good hands and was actually used on offense. Once rolling he's hard to bring down. He might be used in goal line gimmick plays as a blocker or receiver.

His main negatives surround his motor. He disappeared in too many games. He did play well against Alabama, but didn't show up in games Mississippi was struggling even when he could have been a difference maker. He talks about loving the game and wanting to be great, but he doesn't show it on the field. He's not the leave it all on the field type. He's has had at least one concussion and a variety of injuries.

Could the Cards win big with him? Sure! Did Mississippi? No! My main concern with this pick other than off-field is that the board when the Cards chose had multiple, quality tackles who could immediately contribute. All the sure thing CBs were gone. They could have chosen a player who was almost certain to make a significant contribution to a Super Bowl run. There's no question this young man might. I take even money with the dealer's showing an Ace and there are lots of 10s & pictures still in the deck.

I'm not a huge football genius in terms of tactics and formations, but is it possible this guy appeared to struggle against spread teams because he wasn't assigned to chase the QB? Sometimes those guys have 2 gap it and cover lanes if I'm not mistaken and if his job is just to eat up space, he's not going to be getting sacks. He seemed to do well against pro style offenses where he could be cut loose.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Character issues keep being mentioned but doesnt his record consist of:

1) he has smoked pot
2) he got in a fight

Is this really considered Character issues these days?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

1) he has smoked pot
2) he got in a fight

I agree 100%. I would hate to see what our draft board would look like if we eliminated every player that has smoked weed. Kids do stupid things. They did their due diligence with him. Talked with him multiple times, his family, teammates, high school coaches and more. Bidwill even flew down and met with him. He doesn't have an overly extensive rap sheet. Funny how Bosa is viewed by most as "Clean" and Nkemdiche is labeled as a character risk. I think the reality is that it should be closer to opposite.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

1) he has smoked pot
2) he got in a fight

Yes, they are. The manner, method, and amount certainly are. I like the pick, but you're greatly minimizing the risk.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are. The manner, method, and amount certainly are. I like the pick, but you're greatly minimizing the risk.
Kicked out of school, flashing guns, using narcotics: those are character flaws that cause concerns. Not a fight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I agree 100%. I would hate to see what our draft board would look like if we eliminated every player that has smoked weed. Kids do stupid things. They did their due diligence with him. Talked with him multiple times, his family, teammates, high school coaches and more. Bidwill even flew down and met with him. He doesn't have an overly extensive rap sheet. Funny how Bosa is viewed by most as "Clean" and Nkemdiche is labeled as a character risk. I think the reality is that it should be closer to opposite.

Perfectly said. The fact that Nkemdi earned Michael Bidwill's trust says it all. MB, because of his law background, is very keen on being able to detect a person's sincerity and honesty. And it is MB who gives the go-ahead on prospects who have been red flagged.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

1) he has smoked pot
2) he got in a fight

If these are character issues a lot of us who post here must be terrible people.

:lol:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
His character issues have been minor compared to his lack of production. Hope I'm dead wrong about the kid because I'll gladly eat a plate of crow if he's anything other than mediocre

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Keim was on Doug and Wolf this morning and talked about NK's freakish athleticism, speed and strength. He mentioned how NK can literally play every position on the d-line, including OLB... and said he even saw film of him playing the MIC backer position!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

1) he has smoked pot
2) he got in a fight

I read the ESPN piece ( granted -- a sympathetic one)

on the fight -- wasnt that an alleged fight his brother was in, and one that was never proven?

I think part of the "character issues" are that he is kinda of free spirit -- interesting guy -- reads books most football players dont read -- talks about things most football players dont --- i just think scouts dont know what to make of him. Combine the personality with the pre-Sugar Bowl incident and you get capital C charater issues rep.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim was on Doug and Wolf this morning and talked about NK's freakish athleticism, speed and strength. He mentioned how NK can literally play every position on the d-line, including OLB... and said he even saw film of him playing the MIC backer position!

Don't forget short yardage back and TE that he score TD's while playing in college. Put him out there with DJ at goal line!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I've read, every player takes plays off, particularly in College, where the starters a virtually taking every snap. Let's see how his motor runs when he's taking 30 snaps, not double, triple the number.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, every player takes plays off, particularly in College, where the starters a virtually taking every snap. Let's see how his motor runs when he's taking 30 snaps, not double, triple the number.
One of the cards coaches (Buckner?) said if you show him a DL that goes 100% every play he will give you a million dollars.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Could the Cards win big with him? Sure! Did Mississippi? No! .

First let me preface my comments with the statement that I greatly respect Harry's information, experience, and opinion. I'm always happy to see his posts.

But I have to disagree here. He may not have had the individual numbers, but I don't recall ole miss having nearly the record in the recent past that they had with NK, Tumsil and Treadwell and that speaks for something. Everyone keeps saying NK was a disruptor and maybe that exhibited itself in productive ways for the defense other than his personal stats.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First let me preface my comments with the statement that I greatly respect Harry's information, experience, and opinion. I'm always happy to see his posts.

But I have to disagree here. He may not have had the individual numbers, but I don't recall ole miss having nearly the record in the recent past that they had with NK, Tumsil and Treadwell and that speaks for something. Everyone keeps saying NK was a disruptor and maybe that exhibited itself in productive ways for the defense other than his personal stats.

Nice pen

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
at our pick in the draft last night it was already late out this way...so I went to bed right after the firstround closed out.
been watching the videos...interviews etc..

one thing I found really interesting is that after he visited here he told bask "I think I am meant to be a cardinal"... this is knowing we pick at the end of the round,...and that guys with his talent and ability usually go top ten. maybe it was staged...maybe he said it to every team...maybe he would just prefer to play for a team that has a legit shot.... but statements like that endear me to the guy a bit...and watching the interviews you really cant help but like the guy...he is very personable. I have not been on board with the pick but I can see why he was the pick....hard to not like the guy...and when he is motivated the ability is unquestionable... he is in fact, very reminiscent of Darnell Dockett.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
First, it's not smoking weed that concerns me. You'd clear the whole board if that was the case. It's smoking it with a posse that's kind enough to take your picture and let it get out. Then a few months before you're set to have someone give you a multi-million dollar contract you fall thru a plate glass window and end up in the hospital emergency room getting stitches. The police have arrested you and you tell them you're drunk not high. They check your apt and find weed.

The problem is not drugs it's judgment and self control. His judgment also comes in in the fight. I wasn't there but I'm told it was more of a beating than a fight. Then add the fact that the brother real supporters were urging NK to avoid was sitting next to him at the draft.

Finally I didn't mention numbers I said he took off entire games. He even said in recent interviews he behaved lazily. No one ever accused TM of being lazy.

As to what other sure thing star was available with this pick. I've seen few sure things beyond the first few picks in any draft. I would say someone like Jones offered a secure choice who has outstanding potential. NK may prove a fine player. I just don't like the gamble.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kicked out of school, flashing guns, using narcotics: those are character flaws that cause concerns. Not a fight.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It depends on the fight. If a certain girl in Georgia said, 'meh, I just got int a fight', it might sound like nothing--problem is, that nationally-covered fight ended up in a fatality. So, yeah, getting into fights CAN be a big deal. Smoking pot CAN be a big deal. They aren't always, but it's a matter of degrees.

Am I worried about the kid? Sure, I'm worried, but it's a risk I'm okay with. I was strongly against the Honey Badger pick, and BASK showed me that I should have faith in these situations.

Reaction score
at our pick in the draft last night it was already late out this way...so I went to bed right after the firstround closed out.
been watching the videos...interviews etc..

one thing I found really interesting is that after he visited here he told bask "I think I am meant to be a cardinal"... this is knowing we pick at the end of the round,...and that guys with his talent and ability usually go top ten. maybe it was staged...maybe he said it to every team...maybe he would just prefer to play for a team that has a legit shot.... but statements like that endear me to the guy a bit...and watching the interviews you really cant help but like the guy...he is very personable. I have not been on board with the pick but I can see why he was the pick....hard to not like the guy...and when he is motivated the ability is unquestionable... he is in fact, very reminiscent of Darnell Dockett.

+1 He's definitely grown on me. I didn't think there would be a chance we picked him. But after listening to the interviews & watching tape I'm excited about the pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He was constantly doubled and triple teamed, from what I gather, and virtually playing every down. As I said earlier, let's see when it's largely one-on-one and 30 snaps per game.