Yet another NCAA and OJ Mayo story

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know rules are in place for a reason but I don't see the big deal about this. He's already playing for a college team and got the tickets because he's friends with the player he got them from. It's not very likely that Syracuse graduate Carmello Anthony, who plays in Denver, is trying to help USC with it's recruiting. Mayo does need to be more careful, though. He should realize by now that if someone hands him a free tissue to blow his nose the NCAA is going to investigate it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know rules are in place for a reason but I don't see the big deal about this. He's already playing for a college team and got the tickets because he's friends with the player he got them from. It's not very likely that Syracuse graduate Carmello Anthony, who plays in Denver, is trying to help USC with it's recruiting. Mayo does need to be more careful, though. He should realize by now that if someone hands him a free tissue to blow his nose the NCAA is going to investigate it.

I agree with that my problem is the obvious misinformation from Floyd. The author quite clearly says Floyd gave contradictory statements, adn then implied that the only reason Mayo wasn't suspended for 6 games is that Floyd took the blame for the infraction. If that was untrue why spare the suspension? 6 games was too much but again the rule is 10% of the season for each violation and there were 2, that we know of.

And I'm with Skorp the whole issue is Mayo can't afford these tix on his own, Floyd has repeatedly told us that he's poor, he can't give his coach his cell # becaues the bill would be too high, he has no car at USC. So how in the world does he come up with $460 overnight? Especially with the side story that his dad just got busted in W. Va again for possession of over $11,000 worth of pot. That tells us he didn't get the money from his dad who had been living in LA after getting out of jail in W Va.

At the start of the Oregon game yesterday FSN said that USC had declared Mayo ineligible and then the nCAA reinstated him after he paid he money.

The entire investigation started over where does a kid like that get those tix, how come the NCAA isn't asking the same question aobut the $460?

I would have liked a 2 game suspension one for each game, 6 was way too much and I'm glad that didn't happen, but all that was learned here is that once again Mayo won't be held accountable for his actions, and FLoyd was able to lie his player out of a suspension.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this shouldn't surprise me anymore but it does.

USC announced today the winners of the USC and Wells Fargo student athletes of the week award. Women's winner is Kari LaPlante for basketball, mens winner.... OJ Mayo.

Is there another school in America who would declare a kid ineligible for violating NCAA rules, reinstate him, and declare him student athlete of the week in the same week?

anybody think Missouri is going to give an award to any of the kids they just suspended?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess this shouldn't surprise me anymore but it does.

USC announced today the winners of the USC and Wells Fargo student athletes of the week award. Women's winner is Kari LaPlante for basketball, mens winner.... OJ Mayo.

Is there another school in America who would declare a kid ineligible for violating NCAA rules, reinstate him, and declare him student athlete of the week in the same week?

anybody think Missouri is going to give an award to any of the kids they just suspended?

Mizzou will probably fire the Coach for that one. 2 starters and the first 3 off the bench. Boldest move since Josh Heytveldt @ Gonzaga.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mizzou will probably fire the Coach for that one. 2 starters and the first 3 off the bench. Boldest move since Josh Heytveldt @ Gonzaga.

What you weren't impressed with Pitino suspending Caracter "indefinitely" and then reinstating him after they lost their next game because they had no rebounding?