Yao out for ASG

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think most of us knew this was coming but now it's confirmed. Link

Houston Rockets center Yao Ming, recovering from a broken leg, said he will "definitely not" play in the All-Star Game but hopes to start on-court workouts during the Feb. 16-18 All-Star break, the Houston Chronicle reported.

"It's going pretty well so far," Yao said, according to the Chronicle. "Right now we're looking for some rehab to make the muscle stronger so when I'm back to play, I'm not hurting."

Yao has been out with a fractured tibia since Dec. 23, but as of Jan. 4, still led all NBA players with 1,775,413 votes for the All-Star Game in Las Vegas. Starters for the All-Star Game are expected to be announced Thursday.

Yao said missing All-Star Weekend is "good timing" because he'll be able to spend time working out without missing any more games, the newspaper reported.

"Actually, it's pretty good to me to stay home, do my work and get back to the court," Yao said, according to the Chronicle.

It's still not clear to me how the replacement is chosen but I hope Amare gets in.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I am just curious about voting....

How many times have you voted in the balloting for the All-Star Game?

I have voted about 25 times over the last 8 weeks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stern replaces players that cannot play due to injury. Amare will probably be chosen by the coaches for the reserve C spot, so that means Stern will select another C.

Or he may go with a F, because Yao was really the only traditional C that was worthy of an all star appearance.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am just curious about voting....

How many times have you voted in the balloting for the All-Star Game?

I have voted about 25 times over the last 8 weeks.

You could vote every 24 hours on NBA.com (voting has now ended). I've probably voted 30-40 times over the last 2 months. TNT reveals the starters this Thursday. They're supposed to announce it before the 1st game of TNT's usual Thursday night double header.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stern will almost certainly move Duncan to C and start Dirk.

Can they do that? Did they change the rule? Because it used to be that you can't change the position a player was voted in for??!!?!? So if a player was voted in as a Center you could not change his position after to make room for another player. Did that change?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Can they do that? Did they change the rule? Because it used to be that you can't change the position a player was voted in for??!!?!? So if a player was voted in as a Center you could not change his position after to make room for another player. Did that change?

Why can't they do it? After all, it's an NBA rule, not an amendment to the constitution.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
First off.....If a voted in starter is unable to play due to injury, the second leading vote getter is named the starter. Then the coaches for the conferences vote on the replacements (as they do with the reserves).

Secondly....you can vote numerous times a day....the trick? After voting, erase your cookies, then you can vote again.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can't they do it? After all, it's an NBA rule, not an amendment to the constitution.

I'm not talking what position he plays in the game. However, I don't think the NBA changes rules like that on the fly. Everything is done in committees in this league. :) If they did change that rule though it would allow more flexibility to get guys in who deserve to be there. That is much better IMO.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
First off.....If a voted in starter is unable to play due to injury, the second leading vote getter is named the starter. Then the coaches for the conferences vote on the replacements (as they do with the reserves).

Secondly....you can vote numerous times a day....the trick? After voting, erase your cookies, then you can vote again.

You have most of it right, except that David Stern names the replacement players - not the coaches.