Yahoo Sports' Kelly Dwyer destroys Shaq

Caliballfan

Rookie
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...ured-guy-win?urn=nba,146676#remaining-content

Behind the Box Score, where the obscured guy wins every time

By Kelly Dwyer

Then there's the Shaq nonsense.

Though we were prepared for Mike Wilbon to make excuse after excuse for Shaquille O'Neal in his taped sit down with the Suns center (he was already mentioning Shaq's pathetic attempts at avoiding blame on this week's PTI), it didn't make the interview any less sad. When is someone in the national media, with a TV camera in front of him or her, going to finally call Shaq out for being a childish, jealous, sensitive, insufferable [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]?

Van Gundy blamed his actions on the frustrations of a declining superstar, which is just ridiculous. O'Neal acted like this in his early 20s, his mid-20s, his late 20s, his early 30s, today, tomorrow ... at what point are people going to realize that such petulance is a pattern?

And at what point are we going to learn to accept this sort of idiocy and pettiness as a significant part of the overall package, and not something to be ignored? This isn't a lion in winter situation. This guy was lyin' in spring, summer, and fall.

I admire his accomplishments, the way he treats people (fans, lower-rung team employees, the many benefactors from his wonderful charity work) who don't make millions off the NBA, but there's absolutely no reason to act this childish. And worse than Shaq is our ability to forgive and forget. Not because we're sporting WWJD bracelets, but because he makes us laugh. I'm just as bad as anyone, in this regard. I don't wear the bracelet, but I tend to forget how nasty he's been to people who don't deserve it, just because he occasionally dances funny.

As mentioned by Woj last week, Shaq talks up supposed love of authority, but try to name one coach he hasn't clashed with, or trashed in the years following a separation. Name one superstar teammate he hasn't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about. Name one graceful exit. Name one graceful anything!

If this guy had been sent to Cleveland last month, think of the crap we'd be hearing from this guy about Amar'e, Kerr, Terry Porter, etc. Possibly Nash. All while throwing the nonsense at us about he will take the blame when things go wrong, while it's all on his shoulders, while he actually blames everyone but himself when things go wrong.

It's amazing. Not only does he not only not live up to what adults in his position should be doing without having to be told, he explicitly details to the press exactly what he's supposed to be doing (respecting authority, getting the most out of his talent, being a leader), falls way short of the things he says he's doing (not the goals, mind you, but what he claims to consistently do), and he never gets anything for it.

These are things not to be fawned over, but expected day-to-day operations of someone of his age and stature. Imagine me as the world's most notorious bank robber, and every third interview I gave mentioned something about how you shouldn't steal things. And how I respect the law. These boastful un-tellings of this guy's legend have obscured the way we deal with this man's history.

It clouds our judgment. What image comes to your mind as soon as I say "Lakers, 2004"? Probably Kobe, newly-tattooed, chucking jumpers against the Pistons while dealing with the impending Colorado trial. You never think about Shaq showing up to camp completely out of shape, or whining about a contract extension all season.

Who in the NBA ever gets to talk about a contract extension besides this guy? Do you hear Kobe angling for one? He's due, you know. Hell, if I were Kobe, I would have wanted to shoot 30 times a game as well that year, considering that he puts in more offseason training by July 4th than Shaq does all summer.

It's not OK tear into someone's life work when you're as wrong about his life's work as you are. It's no OK to equate gays or transsexuals or transvestites as people who don't have the strength or mettle to overcome tough odds, especially when they've likely had to work through or overcome more by their mid-teens than someone like Shaquille O'Neal has ever had to deal with in a lifetime.

It's not OK to thoughtlessly rip on a person for things he can't control (injuries, perhaps) because that person was carefully doing his job (criticizing Shaq on TV, perhaps) some years after that person went out of his way to work and aid you miles away from the glare of a camera.

It's not OK to act like this, at any age. And at some point, we have to own up to the fact that Shaq, as entertaining as he is, can be a pretty miserable person when the going gets ... somewhat uneasy

It's OK to like him. It's OK to laugh at his barely literate scribblings over at Twitter, as distressing as it is to fathom how a 37-year old man could type like that. It's OK to appreciate his game, and it's definitely OK to consider the things he's throwing out there about the players and coaches and organizations that he's ripping apart. There's a kernel of truth in just about every statement he's ever made about his ex-whomevers.

But it does nothing to hide the fact that this guy, who has barely developed on either end of the court since he came into this league in 1992, has been skating. He's led teams to championships, but he's also submarined entire franchises with his laziness and inability to get it straight. He deserves more blame for bad behavior than any other player in the league, and yet he's easily the NBA's most-liked figure.

Go figure.

Last edited:

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
yeah but I guess Shaq is..... SPECIAL
You don't have Hall of Famers that often
And honestly everyone got used to Shaq's trash talk IMO

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
This part is definitely true:

If this guy (Shaq) had been sent to Cleveland last month, think of the crap we'd be hearing from him about Amar'e, Kerr, Terry Porter, etc. Possibly Nash. All the while throwing the nonsense at us about he will take the blame when things go wrong, while it's all on his shoulders, while he actually blames everyone but himself when things go wrong.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
The article is pretty spot on. I like Shaq, but basically no one except for this guy is willing to call him on his ********, and he's going to pay for it big time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The article is pretty spot on. I like Shaq, but basically no one except for this guy is willing to call him on his ********, and he's going to pay for it big time.

Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Jealous and bitter. Who cares that you write better than Shaq on his Twitter? Who gives a crap about that? Oh but you are so much smarter and "nicer". What a bitch. Poison. Toxic. Hateful. Bitter. Resentful. Jealous. You should be fired. How does anything Shaq does or says affect or effect you in any real way. Get some perspective. Comparing Shaq to an imaginary bank robber "the world's most notorious", are you implying Shaq is a criminal, that he steals?

So Shaq gets away with it. With what, acting immature? We can all see it and say "That was immature" and move on. He is not Jesus. When did he get Jesus status? Amare has Black Jesus tatooed on his neck. Tell me about all his faults next.

You "Go figure" why life isn't fair or equal for everybody......I'll help you. It just isn't. Some get less than others and some get away with more than others. You want to TAKE from someone to give to someone else. How is taking from someone fair. If I win the lottery, it's not fair that all the other people lost so they should take from me to give it to others, so it is "fair" right. Come try to take from me, I'll give you what is fair.

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
The article shows the truth no shaq fan wants to hear. Consider yourself warned, Andrew.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the comment made below is a cheap shot towards Shaq by Van Gundy. The comment is dressed up as a sheep in a wolf's clothing.

Van Gundy blamed his actions on the frustrations of a declining superstar...

Note the "frustrations of a declining superstar" is the premise. So he starts the discussion with a put down. It is also based that Shaq was in decline after he left LA as I listened to the TV discussion. Maybe. However, I guess he wasn't totally done because he won a Championship in Miami.

The part that irritates me the most is that Van Gundy labels a very good player and future Hall of Famer with the description, "actions on the frustrations of a declining superstar." It would have been better he used profanity to describe Shaq than demean his career by talking about him in past tense. I think this was a cold and calculated comment.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Is this the ant that Shaq was talking about? I like Shaq, but I can see how he's very easy to dislike.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This part is definitely true:

So is this

There's a kernel of truth in just about every statement he's ever made about his ex-whomevers:
Right or wrong, it is pathetic to see how some get their panties in a bunch over Shaq. Any fool can see Shaq is a big baby with a lot of pride. If you don't like him, ignore him and move on.
Before the suns, I have always respected him as a great player and dislike him whenever we played against his team, as i would any other opponent for the duration of the game.I never gave any thought to his remark other than laugh at it.
When you say the only way he can score 45 on you is if the Ref let him camp in the lane;You know Shaq is coming for you.
When after beating his team, you tell him to play like a man, you know you gonna get it, x10.
Yeah, i know poor Dwight don't deserve to get dissed like that by Shaq, but pulease the dude is trying too hard to be the second coming of Shaq while the original is still active....BORING.
How terribly boring would the NBA be without the likes of Shaq, Barkley, KG etc.because he says what others don't have the cajonies don't make him bad; It is what makes him Shaq.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't America a country of FREE SPEECH?

So, Shaq has constitutional rights to say whatever he likes, against his ex-teammates, or whoever.

Also, any media writer can write whatever he likes against Shaq.

Have fun.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score

I have!

He is simply an immature kid who rants when he doesn't get his way. He could have been the greatest center of all time... and he doesnt even crack the top 5. He is what he is... and you have yet to see how he is going to throw your franchise and fans under the bus.

*tossing Andrew a valium*

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I've never really liked O'Neal, mainly for all of the reasons the essay lays out. I do, however, respect the work he has done to be a good (and at times great) player this season.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
The guy seems to be bias, while I will admit there is truth behind this article, Shaq is still the fundamental entertainer in the NBA.

His skills and domination have spoken volumes over anything he has said to the media.

My question to any of you is...how long have you been an NBA fan? Because if you are just realizing this....you are quite slow.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
Because if you are just realizing this....you are quite slow.

spot on!

well, we can call him the devil himself for all i care. yeah he's nice to the masses and donates to charity quite a lot. but at the end of the day, he's just a basketball player. i'm a fan of shaq because of the way he plays, i could care less what he does off the court. he's a basketball icon, not a lover, don't ask for anything more...

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
spot on!

well, we can call him the devil himself for all i care. yeah he's nice to the masses and donates to charity quite a lot. but at the end of the day, he's just a basketball player. i'm a fan of shaq because of the way he plays, i could care less what he does off the court. he's a basketball icon, not a lover, don't ask for anything more...

Regardless of his immature attitude and childish nature. Toss aside all the dissing of teamates and organizations that gave him the opportunity to be so charitable and have such a great life.

As a basketball player... He is a monumental underachiever.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Saw on hoopsworld that he wants to get traded if the Suns don' make the playoffs this season.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw on hoopsworld that he wants to get traded if the Suns don' make the playoffs this season.

No surprises there and i would be amazed if he didn't throw a couple of teammates and the FO under the bus.
I am sure it is OK for fans on this forum to hide behind their keyboards and bash players and management but God forbid Shaq complains about how things were ran here when he does leave.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of his immature attitude and childish nature. Toss aside all the dissing of teamates and organizations that gave him the opportunity to be so charitable and have such a great life.

As a basketball player... He is a monumental underachiever.

Pray tell, how? I have heard Shaq called many things but that has to be the most inaccurate adjective to describe him.it is one thing if he didn't win any championship. Yeah, maybe he could have won more, but what makes you think if it were back in the days when the bigs rule the court and the game was much more physical, Shaq wouldn't have won more than any other big man. I wont be surprised if you are among those that wrote him off that he can never win another ring again after he left your boy Kobe..well the rest is history.

You claim organizations helped him but you forget it is a symbiotic relationship, more beneficial for the organizations whom seats he filled and tons merchandise sold.Lets assume philanthropy was forced on him by his organization. No one can deny the fact that he is a nice dude and a big tipper, you cant fake generosity.

Hate him or Love him, He is a future hall of famer, better get used to see him because his name will continue to resonate in the basketball world after you and i are long gone.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
It is always known that if Shaq did something hypocritical, it is YOUR FAULT to point it out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison