WR needs? Are you kidding me?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I am totally confused as to why he was drafted. It looks like KK and SK were not on the same page. Isabella strength to me was a quick first step and a good catching radius. I wrote I expected him to see many hot read opportunities on blitzes. It’s seems this offense doesn’t use traditional hot reads. I expected Isabella’s speed to be less of a factor. He’s been easy to press and never seems to dominate a corner. It’s possible he can be coached up, but he’s got a long way to go to justify his selection. He’s playing so little the normal year 1 to 2 growth seems far from certain.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We kept 7 this year:

Fitz and Kirk are the only sure things IMO

K. Johnson - I do expect him to take a big step forward next year...he has flashed the talent.

Hakeem Butler is an unknown and sounds like he needed a redshirt year.

Isabella is perplexing really.

Byrd is a FA and so is Cooper.
Sherfield is under contract but I think he is out.

Most likely on the roster in 2020:
Fitz
Kirk
K. Johnson
Free agent (Breshard Perriman would be a nice addition)

Fighting for 3 roster spots
Isabella
Hakeem Butler
Pharoh Cooper (if signed)
Draft pick

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm also hoping that Butler turns out to be a stud WR & not a wasted pick?

when we drafted Butler I went through some of his highlight catches. I kept thinking Michael Floyd for some reason. I have a lot of hope for this kid. I will say I’m a underdog type guy so rarely is hope enough.

I would like to know the truth behind placing him on IR. What did the coaches see in camp? Never heard much from the other players about him. My gut says this is not a good sign but maybe the move to IR was simply a numbers move to keep him on the roster.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We kept 7 this year:

Fitz and Kirk are the only sure things IMO

K. Johnson - I do expect him to take a big step forward next year...he has flashed the talent.

Hakeem Butler is an unknown and sounds like he needed a redshirt year.

Isabella is perplexing really.

Byrd is a FA and so is Cooper.
Sherfield is under contract but I think he is out.

Most likely on the roster in 2020:
Fitz
Kirk
K. Johnson
Free agent (Breshard Perriman would be a nice addition)

Fighting for 3 roster spots
Isabella
Hakeem Butler
Pharoh Cooper (if signed)
Draft pick
If I am calling the shots, KeeSean Johnson has not earned a roster spot for 2020, and is more likely to be cut than Isabella for P.R. reasons.

Fitz, Kirk, and Cooper (KR/PR) are the only I would say are 100% coming back next season.

They need a bonafide #1.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
when we drafted Butler I went through some of his highlight catches. I kept thinking Michael Floyd for some reason. I have a lot of hope for this kid. I will say I’m a underdog type guy so rarely is hope enough.

I would like to know the truth behind placing him on IR. What did the coaches see in camp? Never heard much from the other players about him. My gut says this is not a good sign but maybe the move to IR was simply a numbers move to keep him on the roster.
That's exactly what it was, numbers move. Made it easier to keep someone else & not look like a wasted pick. I feel like he will develop but I've heard mixed tales about him. I've watched practice highlights of him making spectacular one handed catches, also heard he drops a lot of passes. That was the knock on him in college. Heard he wasn't a fast learner of the offense & not a good route runner. After saying all that, I hope he develops lol?

Harry

Reaction score

Don’t have any inside info but he dropped a bunch of passes in college. Talented but definitely a project. There were some known injury issues too.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don’t have any inside info but he dropped a bunch of passes in college. Talented but definitely a project. There were some known injury issues too.

During his time at Ole Miss, Metcalf struggled mightily with catching the ball. Throughout his career, Metcalf dropped seven of his 74 catchable passes. Out of PFF’s top receivers in the draft, only Iowa State WR Hakeem Butler had a worse drop rate in 2018.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-wr-d-k-metcalf-ole-miss

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if guys that dropped a ton of passes in college ever truly fixed the problem. It seems rational to me that no matter the speed/size/athleticism, I would stay clear of guys who struggle to catch the ball. I understand risking maybe a 4th rounder for a guy like this, but nothing earlier. Metcalf may physically remind people of Boldin, but he just can't be trusted to catch the ball in crunch time. If you haven't developed eye hand coordination through college, I'm not sure you'll ever have it.

Harry

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if guys that dropped a ton of passes in college ever truly fixed the problem. It seems rational to me that no matter the speed/size/athleticism, I would stay clear of guys who struggle to catch the ball. I understand risking maybe a 4th rounder for a guy like this, but nothing earlier. Metcalf may physically remind people of Boldin, but he just can't be trusted to catch the ball in crunch time. If you haven't developed eye hand coordination through college, I'm not sure you'll ever have it.
Almost all talented athletes have good eye to hand coordination. The problem usually stems from focus. Either they lose sight of the ball evaluating their best route after the catch or they simply let their mind drift. It’s a roll of the dice as to who can correct it, though more succeed than fail.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all talented athletes have good eye to hand coordination. The problem usually stems from focus. Either they lose sight of the ball evaluating their best route after the catch or they simply let their mind drift. It’s a roll of the dice as to who can correct it, though more succeed than fail.
So is there hope that Butler could develop?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Butler will be fine. Expect Mike Williams type career at the low end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Butler will be fine. Expect Mike Williams type career at the low end.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I want to argue with you about this like I do every time someone says "______ will be fine," but I do have a good feeling about Butler being able to contribute at some point. His athletic ability is off the charts, and I think he's a better player on the field than in practice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard