Wow. Ferguson retiring.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He wanted to retire last year, but he was not going out that way. The minute Man U. secured the title, I knew this would be his last season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He "retired" in back in the early 2000s, but changed his mind after 4 months. So we'll see if he follows through this time.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is really gone. Not much more to do after demolishing the league this year.

I think Klopp will be the guy, especially if Bayern keeps poaching Dortmund's talent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think he is really gone. Not much more to do after demolishing the league this year.

I think Klopp will be the guy, especially if Bayern keeps poaching Dortmund's talent.

Word is David Moyes is almost certainly the successor.

And yes, United won the league, but I wouldn't say they demolished it. This is a really down year for the EPL--United probably couldn't finish top 2 in Germany or Spain and probably could do no better than 2nd in Italy.

That may change next season, but this has been a really down year in the league, IMO.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love him or not nobody can deny his greatness. He's been reported as having some health issues so I think this retirement is real.

Stout

Reaction score
Word is David Moyes is almost certainly the successor.

And yes, United won the league, but I wouldn't say they demolished it. This is a really down year for the EPL--United probably couldn't finish top 2 in Germany or Spain and probably could do no better than 2nd in Italy.

That may change next season, but this has been a really down year in the league, IMO.

Oh, they demolished the league. You're probably right about their chances in other leagues, but they ruled the BPL--even with huge defensive lapses.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh, they demolished the league. You're probably right about their chances in other leagues, but they ruled the BPL--even with huge defensive lapses.

"Demolished" implies complete domination--their point total is impressive, but they hardly dominated anyone this season. Probably one of the weakest title winners in quite some time.

And what is the BPL? :)

Stout

Reaction score
"Demolished" implies complete domination--their point total is impressive, but they hardly dominated anyone this season. Probably one of the weakest title winners in quite some time.

And what is the BPL? :)

Granted that their lead is now ONLY 10 points (after long since securing the title), but they clinched the title with something like ten or so games to go. That is hugely impressive.

Oh, and I figured a soccer fan would recognize the BARCLAYS Premier League--you know, another name for the EPL :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Granted that their lead is now ONLY 10 points (after long since securing the title), but they clinched the title with something like ten or so games to go. That is hugely impressive.

Oh, and I figured a soccer fan would recognize the BARCLAYS Premier League--you know, another name for the EPL :D

True, but you hardly ever see it referred to as BPL. :)

Either way, IMO it was a down year for the league. Will they recover? I think they will, especially if Arsenal make some transfer noise this summer. You just KNOW Man City will. A big thing to watch will be if Gareth Bale leaves Spurs and goes to another league (Real Madrid?). If he stays, there is a lot of potential for the EPL to regain their status as the top league in Europe.

Stout

Reaction score
True, but you hardly ever see it referred to as BPL. :)

Either way, IMO it was a down year for the league. Will they recover? I think they will, especially if Arsenal make some transfer noise this summer. You just KNOW Man City will. A big thing to watch will be if Gareth Bale leaves Spurs and goes to another league (Real Madrid?). If he stays, there is a lot of potential for the EPL to regain their status as the top league in Europe.

Yeah, it was a down year. Now, teams may go crazy again this summer with huge signings, but if they do, they're going to end up paying for it--big time. I think the financial fair play rules go into effect in 2014 (not sure on year), and if they don't have wages under control, they'll be absolutely screwed.

I hope Bale stays. It would be nice to keep British talent in the EPL (typed it just for you :D )

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And hot on his heels, David Beckham announced his retirement today.

We now live in a world where Sir Alex does not coach and David Beckham does not play. Strange.