Would you trade for C.J. Henderson?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Henderson is a cornerback from the Jaguars. The rumor is that several teams think he is available, even though he was just taken one spot after Simmons in the draft last year – which would probably also indicate that it would cost a first-round pick to get him. He was a stud at Florida, and he excels in press man-coverage, which the Cards play a ton of. He has major potential.

He was injured half of his rookie season, and supposedly Urban Meyer has other plans for his secondary. It is almost a certainty that he would be a first-round pick if he had been in the draft class this year, and since he is still so new and green to the NFL, yet maybe already on a new team, it would kind of be like having two first-round rookies on the roster.

I would do it. Would you?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if people posted similar things when we gave up on our top 10 drafted QB after one year.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I wonder if people posted similar things when we gave up on our top 10 drafted QB after one year.
I recall plenty of people being convinced Rosen wasn’t the guy after that one year. I echo the “buyer beware” sentiment for anyone willing to get rid of a first round draft pick after a year.

Edit: Just realized your reply was to the original post and not the beginning of the flood of people saying “heck no”.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to caveat my original answer which was based on the Jags wanting to get a 1st back for him. No I wouldn't do that trade.

But for a 3rd I would.

Also worth bearing in mind that Marco Wilson and CJ Henderson are the same age, good friends, and were the starting outside CB duo at Florida.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. I can't see a team walking away from a first round pick who is on his rookie contract, unless there is a big problem. JMO.

That’s a good point, Garth, but there are always reasons that players are on the market, and in Henderson’s case it seems like that it might simply be a matter of the regime change in Jacksonville. Urban Meyer came in and was basically given total control (kind of like Jon Gruden with the Raiders), and there is also a new general manager. They paid a lot of guys big contracts in free agency, but their most expensive was a cornerback. In the draft, they selected a cornerback with the first pick in the second round.

You are certainly right that it would be a warning sign if they would in fact shop him now, but I guess that is the case for anyone you bring into your team through free agency or trade. There is always a reason why they are available. It seems to me that his up-and-down rookie year was more due to bad luck healthwise, and that he is now being a victim of the Jaguars’ new team set-up.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Chris, the Cards would never have given up Rosen if Kyler Murray had not been in the draft – and potentially not even then if they had not signed Kliff Kingsbury. I think it was a very special case of circumstances that led to that, and in my opinion, it might very well be the same with Henderson.

By the way, it would absolutely be a valid argument to point to Rosen’s trajectory after being shipped away, but I think that would be unfair, since again, the circumstances of being a top ten pick are significantly different than being a guy you have paid a second-round pick to get. Nobody knows if Rosen would have been a success in Arizona. And the second reason is that players obviously progress differently after coming out of the draft, and trading for Henderson would to a very large degree be like relying on his college tape, like you would do in the draft. He simply hasn’t had the chance to prove anything, so it would be a matter of trusting in his talent – just like with Murray, Simmons, Collins and every other first-round selection.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is no way the Jags get a 1st for him...he didn't show enough in his rookie year, and trading him in and of itself is a red flag.

If we were high on him during the draft process, and there are no off-field issues I would offer a 3rd.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, and they were right - we did give up on him because we knew he was not a good player. We only got a second for him, and QB is a much more valuable position.

I would never give up a first for a second year player - that screams red flags.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and they were right - we did give up on him because we knew he was not a good player. We only got a second for him, and QB is a much more valuable position.

I would never give up a first for a second year player - that screams red flags.

Yep that was my point.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Definitely not if we needed to include CJ in addition to 2nd rounder. If seen an article on AZCentral as well that mentioned Jones in trade rumor so its not just the source in the link.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is an Urban Meyer thing, not a Henderson thing.

I must admit after watching some film on him he has obvious talent. I'm changing my opinion.

I was concerned that they were bailing but doesn't seem to be an issue with the player.

Ultimately I think this might be a nonsense internet rumor anyway.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Trade? Sure. But not a first.... already lost the fifth year that makes first round rookies so valuable.
We got his buddy on the team.... we need talented young corners.... sure why not. Let keim do his thing

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave