Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just what has Glenn done to scream , I’m a head coach?
He didn’t set the world on fire in Detroit. He turned the Lions around over the last 10 games? Check out their offense. Some could say the OC turned the team around.
Can you rally say he’s head and shoulders over The cincy Dc?

This hire would be so like the Cardinals. Another apprentice.

The Lions had a top 10 defense in the 2nd half of the season.

We aren't hiring a defensive coordinator. We're looking for a head coach. They are 2 very different things. If they weren't then every great coordinator would be a great HC right?

Glenn is very highly regarded around the league. I'd imagine that's why we interviewed him. He has a very good rep as a leader and from what I've read the Org and fans love him.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
At this point, I want Flores. We need an established, experienced hard ass coach that will demand accountability and also have the ability to bring in a good staff to enforce the culture and preach the same message.

I have the feeling that we will end up keeping some assistants if we hire a newbie because they don’t have the NFL ties yet. We need a complete overhaul.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We aren't hiring a defensive coordinator. We're looking for a head coach. They are 2 very different things. If they weren't then every great coordinator would be a great HC right?

Glenn is very highly regarded around the league. I'd imagine that's why we interviewed him. He has a very good rep as a leader and from what I've read the Org and fans love him.
So his defense was top 10 for half the season. Impressive.

Clearly he is more qualified than the guy in Cincy whose team went to the Super Bowl last year and the AFC championship game this year.
Pretty sure the fans in Cincy love him too. He won’t be hired here because HE won’t want it. That’s why we’ll chose Glenn.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I for one think Flores is our best possible option and was our best realistic possible option all along considering he doesn't cost us any draft picks and can immediately get to work on his side of the ball

He is a hard ass, holds players accountable and I think he learned a whole hell of a lot in Miami - and will probably do things a little differently in his second go around meaning I don't think he'd publicly belittle Kyler Murray on the field but he would bench Kyler Murray if Kyler Murray tried to publicly belittle him - which is where I think Kingsbury officially lost the team

Then there's our defense - where Flores makes his living. Accessing and utilizing talent is what we never accomplished with players like Reddick under Vance Joseph. I think we also have some underutilized talent still on the team.

I think we will know who our next head coach is by this Friday. I think his name will be Brian Flores. And I think it's going to piss a lot of people on this board off lol but I don't think Monti would ride or die with someone he didn't truly believe in, and Monti seems to be considered a good hire by most on this board so that'll be fun

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I joked earlier that it would be so Cardinals to hire a coach with 1/2 season of success.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So his defense was top 10 for half the season. Impressive.

Clearly he is more qualified than the guy in Cincy whose team went to the Super Bowl last year and the AFC championship game this year.
Pretty sure the fans in Cincy love him too. He won’t be hired here because HE won’t want it. That’s why we’ll chose Glenn.

I joked earlier that it would be so Cardinals to hire a coach with 1/2 season of success.

Surely the absolute worst way to hire a HC is just based on their record as a coordinator? If not why do teams bother with interviews? Just send job offers to Eric Bienemy and Shane Steichen right away.

If there is an endless list of good coordinators that made poor HC's (we contributed extensive to that list) then surely there are also coordinators with mediocre records who would make great HC's?

The skill sets probably don't even 50% overlap, but it's become a lazy tradition.

Would rather a coach with a great record as a coordinator but mediocre leadership qualities or a great leader with a mediocre record as a coordinator?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That such a cardinal thing to do omg

There are very few instances in any industry where the talent pool is small where you get your first choice.

Frank Reich wasn't the Panthers first choice, they were hot for Ben Johnson but he decided to stay in Detroit.

I'm not even sure Ryans is the Texans first choice. They were apparently very hot for John Gannon but he wasn't interested.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Surely the absolute worst way to hire a HC is just based on their record as a coordinator? If not why do teams bother with interviews? Just send job offers to Eric Bienemy and Shane Steichen right away.

If there is an endless list of good coordinators that made poor HC's (we contributed extensive to that list) then surely there are also coordinators with mediocre records who would make great HC's?

The skill sets probably don't even 50% overlap, but it's become a lazy tradition.

Would rather a coach with a great record as a coordinator but mediocre leadership qualities or a great leader with a mediocre record as a coordinator?
I get what you're saying, but in my life experience I haven't run across too may "Great Leaders" with a poor track record in their careers. Maybe it's been different for you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but in my life experience I haven't run across too may "Great Leaders" with a poor track record in their careers. Maybe it's been different for you.

Most careers follow a linear path. You gain experience and move up a step. The experienced gained helps in your new role. So on and so forth.

Football is far less so. The drive, work ethic, leadership, decision making, player management, staff management, media management and 100 other things required not everyone has. There are lots of coordinators that could never hack being a HC. Best to find those qualities no?

I think it's well unfair to criticize Glenn for a "mediocre record". That franchise has been going through a massive rebuild. You put Lou Anarumo, John Gannon etc in Detroit the last 2 years and the results would be similar.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There are very few instances in any industry where the talent pool is small where you get your first choice.

Frank Reich wasn't the Panthers first choice, they were hot for Ben Johnson but he decided to stay in Detroit.

I'm not even sure Ryans is the Texans first choice. They were apparently very hot for John Gannon but he wasn't interested.
Well, the Carolina Panthers and the Houston Texans are organizations whose company we want to keep.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh, and we know which coach has the best leadership? If a coach didn’t have great leadership why would he even be brought for an interview?
No one here can say Glenn has greater leadership qualities than the OC or the DC in Cincy .That’s bunk. We only know what we read.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, and we know which coach has the best leadership? If a coach didn’t have great leadership why would he even be brought for an interview?
No one here can say Glenn has greater leadership qualities than the OC or the DC. That’s bunk. We only know what we read.

We know what his colleagues and players say from several years coaching around the league.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We know what his colleagues and players say from several years coaching around the league.
And what are colleagues saying about the DC from Cincy? He sucks? He’s great but has no leadership skills?
Bunk. If candidates being brought in don’t come with that as part of their résumé then shame on the hiring team.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
No one here can say Glenn has greater leadership qualities than the OC or the DC. That’s bunk. We only know what we read.
True. That’s why I’m not going to have a strong opinion on which guys would be the best for the job. We’re all just guessing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And what are colleagues saying about the DC from Cincy? He sucks? He’s great but has no leadership skills?
Bunk. If candidates being brought in don’t come with that as part of their résumé then shame on the hiring team.

What? Of course they all are. That's why they are interviewing.

You asked a version of "Why are we interviewing Glenn when he's not been great at the Lions?" well it's because people think he has the qualities to be a good HC.

Nobody seems to be asking the same about Mike Kafka's stats who's offense was 18th in yards and 15th in points. 26th in passing and 24th in passing TD's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for Flores. However the longer this process takes the less confident I feel about landing him.

Feels kinda hard to interview him like 3rd, then interview 10 other guys and be able to circle back and say "He was always our guy" with a straight face.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for Flores. However the longer this process takes the less confident I feel about landing him.

He just interviewed for the D-C job in Minny.

If the Cards wanted him today, it would take no more than a phone call, I suggest.

He'll still be there after the Cards go through this round of interviews.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Feels kinda hard to interview him like 3rd, then interview 10 other guys and be able to circle back and say "He was always our guy" with a straight face.
That's fair, but you also don't let a three-day media narrative swamp the consideration of a guy you're going to contract for five years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's fair, but you also don't let a three-day media narrative swamp the consideration of a guy you're going to contract for five years.

**** no. I'd hire him still. It will just have an air of "He was our 4th choice".

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

MB and Monti would simply say that they lived up to their commitment to throw out a wide net and have concluded that he best meets the criteria they set going into the job interviews.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Flores and Payton were top 2, personally. BFlo doesn't need a 2nd interview, since he impressed back in 2018....they've never forgotten him.
Uh… if Flores was their 2nd choice, why haven’t they chosen him yet?