Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Well, after reading most all of these opinions it doesn't appear we really want any of these guys already mentioned. Hopefully, Mr B has some more exciting ones up his sleeve he is saving for last.

Surprise us with someone we have never heard of, that way we won't have any reason to criticize him before he even gets started. Or better yet, hire someone who has had great success elsewhere, even if it wasn't as a head coach yet. I want a winner, not some recycled loser who comes packaged with excuses.
I personally do not give a Seachicken shiat who I want or anyone else wants, as long as who M & M's (Michael and Monti, ain't that cute) opinion selects wins :raccoon:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Folks need to contextualise the situation he was put in.
I understand all the duress he had to work under. I‘m a big believer in grace under fire. He took some of his frustration out on players. He may have learned from that but I’m not confident enough to chance it.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
All of the candidates have better resumes than Kingsbury. It's up to Monti to figure out the rest. (Voted "yes.")

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand all the duress he had to work under. I‘m a big believer in grace under fire. He took some of his frustration out on players. He may have learned from that but I’m not confident enough to chance it.

Is there any evidence of this? I can find plenty of players that loved Flores and were sad to see him go and only one third hard report that there was an issue. And that's from Albert Wilson 3rd hand from Tua’s trainer.

I feel like this is a narrative put out to justify his firing without evidence.

Real question as maybe I missed it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He's not suing Miami.

"Flores, now a senior defensive assistant coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers readying to face his former Dolphins team on Sunday night, filed the suit shortly after his firing from the Miami Dolphins and subsequent interview with the New York Giants. He alleges he was part of sham interviews to skirt the Rooney Rule and was discriminated against based on his race. Former NFL defensive coordinator Ray Horton and current Panthers interim head coach Steve Wilks joined the suit in April, alleging similar discrimination with the Titans and Cardinals, respectively."
I get that there are some sham interviews to satisfy the rooney rule. I find it ironic that Wilks and Flores were both actually hired and they're the ones suing over that process.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Don’t really care about Flores relationship with Murray.
Cardinals aren’t winning anything with Murray at QB anyway.
I like Flores. He’s a no nonsense guy and holds players accountable.
That’s what’s needed.
Maybe he can be a hard arse and get Kyler to quit and go play baseball that fits his pain threshold a little better

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
He didn't want Tua. By this account, for him to come to AZ, he'd have to be convinced Murray can be somewhat of a pocket passer 1st and use legs 2nd.

The only thing Kyler is good at is taking 5 yard sacks and turning them into 15 yard sacks

Attachments

• midget-murray.jpg
    midget-murray.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 4

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
24-25 record as a HC, the team had the same record by his replacement with inconsistency at QB, and their young QB played significantly better after Flores left. Folks need to raise their standards.
Yeah... The QB played better when he had Waddle and Hill....... no wonder. Ownership went full tank mode and traded away talent and he still won.

Harry

Reaction score
Is there any evidence of this? I can find plenty of players that loved Flores and were sad to see him go and only one third hard report that there was an issue. And that's from Albert Wilson 3rd hand from Tua’s trainer.

Palm Beach Post,
”In the end, the Dolphins perceived Flores as difficult and stubborn — more a part of the problem than the long-term solution. Flores was an excellent tactician, but interpersonal skills did not appear a strength. But he was demanding of his players and coaches and staff. Very demanding. And it did not seem that fostering relationships was a priority. He certainly was not patient. And that can be good or bad, but it's certainly not necessarily best for a roster of young, developing talents. Flores could be dismissive. He could be impersonal. He could even be unkind. Flores always seemed to want everyone and everything to be on edge. Is that healthy? Flores never did get his staff right. Flores never did get the offense right.”

I’m sure there were players who liked Flores. I just don’t think his strong arm approach will work good with this group. It’s a case of swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Palm Beach Post,
”In the end, the Dolphins perceived Flores as difficult and stubborn — more a part of the problem than the long-term solution. Flores was an excellent tactician, but interpersonal skills did not appear a strength. But he was demanding of his players and coaches and staff. Very demanding. And it did not seem that fostering relationships was a priority. He certainly was not patient. And that can be good or bad, but it's certainly not necessarily best for a roster of young, developing talents. Flores could be dismissive. He could be impersonal. He could even be unkind. Flores always seemed to want everyone and everything to be on edge. Is that healthy? Flores never did get his staff right. Flores never did get the offense right.”

I’m sure there were players who liked Flores. I just don’t think his strong arm approach will work good with this group. It’s a case of swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.
Well we all seen what Club Kliff resulted in being a player friendly coach. They all pretty much vacationed during the preseason and spent the 2nd half of the year on IR

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palm Beach Post,

Yeah I've seen this type of thing but they read like Dolphins execs press releases to the local media to justify the firing. History is written by winners right?

There's never any specifics. No examples of a player celebrating him going, which isn't unusual with social media.

I do know several Fins players openly lamented his sacking and that current Steelers players seem to like him.

I'm sure the animosity between FO and Flores part is true. Hard not to be when they try to make you lose.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Minka Fitzpatrick.
Tua

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen this type of thing but they read like Dolphins execs press releases to the local media to justify the firing. History is written by winners right?

There's never any specifics. No examples of a player celebrating him going, which isn't unusual with social media.

I do know several Fins players openly lamented his sacking and that current Steelers players seem to like him.

I'm sure the animosity between FO and Flores part is true. Hard not to be when they try to make you lose.
You ask for proof. Are given proof. Then you say the proof given is not good enough.

You are being everything you complain about in the Kyler Murray discussions. At least be consistent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You ask for proof. Are given proof. Then you say the proof given is not good enough.

You are being everything you complain about in the Kyler Murray discussions. At least be consistent.

There's nothing in it except generalisations that almost certainly came from the Fins FO. I'm happy to except actual proof, this just ain't it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Minka Fitzpatrick.
Tua

Minkah didn't like how he was used. There was no other beef between them. I'm pretty sure it's the coaches job to do what's best for the team. Not pander to what a dingle player wants.

Unless you think the HC should change his whole system to fit the ego of one guy?

What Fitzpatrick said to the media makes it seem as if the issues the two might have had in Miami is water under the bridge.

“It’s been good.” Fitzpatrick said of Flores being added to the coaching staff. “Coach Flo, he’s a great coach. He’s a smart guy. He’s a guy that lives to a high standard. He’s a piece that I think we really needed. He’s a real detail-oriented guy, detail-oriented coach. He’s not a guy that’s gonna let things get brushed aside. He’s gonna address them.

When it comes to Flores’ style, Fitzpatrick knows all about it. Flores doesn’t beat around the bush when it comes to addressing issues. In fact, he is the total opposite. Some might not like it, but Fitzpatrick has grown to appreciate it.

“He’s direct. He might not tell you exactly how you want to hear it, but he’s gonna tell you and I think that’s important to have in the locker room.” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s gonna get on you. He’s a great coach. I’m excited to have him. He’s focused and locked in on winning and that’s what his goal is. And I’m happy to have him here.”

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Minkah didn't like how he was used. There was no other beef between them. I'm pretty sure it's the coaches job to do what's best for the team. Not pander to what a dingle player wants.

Unless you think the HC should change his whole system to fit the ego of one guy?

What Fitzpatrick said to the media makes it seem as if the issues the two might have had in Miami is water under the bridge.

“It’s been good.” Fitzpatrick said of Flores being added to the coaching staff. “Coach Flo, he’s a great coach. He’s a smart guy. He’s a guy that lives to a high standard. He’s a piece that I think we really needed. He’s a real detail-oriented guy, detail-oriented coach. He’s not a guy that’s gonna let things get brushed aside. He’s gonna address them.

When it comes to Flores’ style, Fitzpatrick knows all about it. Flores doesn’t beat around the bush when it comes to addressing issues. In fact, he is the total opposite. Some might not like it, but Fitzpatrick has grown to appreciate it.

“He’s direct. He might not tell you exactly how you want to hear it, but he’s gonna tell you and I think that’s important to have in the locker room.” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s gonna get on you. He’s a great coach. I’m excited to have him. He’s focused and locked in on winning and that’s what his goal is. And I’m happy to have him here.”
It depends on the player. I think good innovative coaches do tweak/change their systems to get the most out of great players. It’s what I have been saying about players like Simmons. You don’t just try and shove a square peg in a round hole because you don’t want to change your system.
Same can be said about Kyler to an extent. However, Kyler has been over coddled his entire playing career. I like the sound of a coach who is going to get on him and tell him like it is even if he doesn’t like it. Time to take the gloves off and make him earn his money.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends on the player. I think good innovative coaches do tweak/change their systems to get the most out of great players. It’s what I have been saying about players like Simmons. You don’t just try and shove a square peg in a round hole because you don’t want to change your system.
Same can be said about Kyler to an extent. However, Kyler has been over coddled his entire playing career. I like the sound of a coach who is going to get on him and tell him like it is even if he doesn’t like it. Time to take the gloves off and make him earn his money.
You say this like Simmons deserves some benefit of the doubt. If anyone needs to be to an extent, it’s Simmons.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You say this like Simmons deserves some benefit of the doubt. If anyone needs to be to an extent, it’s Simmons.
He does. his defensive coaches have been trash since he got to the nfl. Vance Joseph and Bill Davis would have ruined even Brian Urlacher. Same special hybrid type player coming out of college

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He does. his defensive coaches have been trash since he got to the nfl. Vance Joseph and Bill Davis would have ruined even Brian Urlacher. Same special hybrid type player coming out of college
Simmons really has this fanbase by the throat, lol.

Harry

Reaction score

“Albert Wilson told me specifically that playing in Miami last season was the strangest year of football he’s ever experienced in his life -- ever,” Hicks said. “He said it was wild, man. He said you had to walk single-file line down the hallway, nobody was talking, everyone just walking on pins and needles. It was just a finger-pointing game in meetings.”

”The head coach was said to have a particularly rocky relationship with Tagovailoa, with Flores reportedly telling his quarterback he should have drafted Mac Jones instead of him.”

“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that,” Jackson wrote. “But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that, ‘He doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’

“When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions.

Ex-Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes insisted Flores is no Bill Belichick and didn't seem as floored by his exit. (Warning: Tweet contains NSFW language.)

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simmons really has this fanbase by the throat, lol.
It’s not as much the individual player. It’s more a total lack of confidence in the coaching staff and front office to develop or utilize a player to his full capabilities. We see the same thing with Reddick helping Philly make a deep playoff run.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Albert Wilson told me specifically that playing in Miami last season was the strangest year of football he’s ever experienced in his life -- ever,” Hicks said. “He said it was wild, man. He said you had to walk single-file line down the hallway, nobody was talking, everyone just walking on pins and needles. It was just a finger-pointing game in meetings.”

”The head coach was said to have a particularly rocky relationship with Tagovailoa, with Flores reportedly telling his quarterback he should have drafted Mac Jones instead of him.”

“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that,” Jackson wrote. “But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that, ‘He doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’

“When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions.

Ex-Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes insisted Flores is no Bill Belichick and didn't seem as floored by his exit. (Warning: Tweet contains NSFW language.)
Well , there you go. Flores will be our next head coach…

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose