Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He's already been a good HC...

He has a winning record with bad OC's. Imagine what he could do with a good one?

I still think Caldwell will take an OC job after all HC roles are filled. He's been out too long to go straight back into a HC role and OC is better than sitting on the couch.
There's something perhaps to be said that the guy is difficult to work with and has a hard time retaining/attracting quality DC's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's something perhaps to be said that the guy is difficult to work with and has a hard time retaining/attracting quality DC's.

Maybe. It's hard to put a staff together as a first time HC and it's likely he didn;t get much support in that regard from the Miami FO considering their plan for the future.

Tomlin got lucky in that regard in that he inhereted Arians and LeBeau when he took the Steelers job.

But for sure that is the biggest risk with Flores. But it's a risk with a lot of these coordinators interviewing for HC jobs.

I would say there is a lot of support and respect for him from coaches throughout the league for giving up his guaranteed money to take the NFL on. I would imagine a lot of guys would line up to coach with him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Flores? Personally, I'd be fine with him... But what about King Kyler? Surely, Mike B would need to gain Kyler's approval before hiring a defensive-focused Head Coach...or, perhaps the plan is to simply give Kyler free reign of the offense?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Maybe. It's hard to put a staff together as a first time HC and it's likely he didn;t get much support in that regard from the Miami FO considering their plan for the future.

Tomlin got lucky in that regard in that he inhereted Arians and LeBeau when he took the Steelers job.

But for sure that is the biggest risk with Flores. But it's a risk with a lot of these coordinators interviewing for HC jobs.

I would say there is a lot of support and respect for him from coaches throughout the league for giving up his guaranteed money to take the NFL on. I would imagine a lot of guys would line up to coach with him.
Can’t agree. Most guys I know going through the ranks get to meet guys who they hope to grab if they grt a shot at the big slot. That’s why you see so many guys who previously worked together, like Arians & Bowles.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First season (2019) with the Dolphins: 5-11 with team ranking 32nd in defense

Second season (2020) with Dolphins: 10-6 with team ranking 6th in defense

Third season (2021) with Dolphins he goes 9-8 despite starting 1-7 and having a injured quarterback carasal that was Arizona Cardinal worthy, also dropped down to 16th in League defense but it's obvious he didn't "lose" the team if he finished the season 8-1

We can let Flores fix the defense while Murray rehabs, plus we wouldn't have to give up a first freakin round draft pick to get him
What I like is the sense that Flores has his own distinct personalty and is far from being a robot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the PFT article that speculated that Mike B is going to do the NFL a solid by hiring Brian Flores has me thinking

being a NFL "team player" is very on-brand for the Bidwills ---- its the primary historic source of their influence, and to defuse the Flores lawsuit by hiring him would do a solid for the other 31 owners (or at least 30 if you exclude the Dolphins).

also, politically beyond just the Flores lawsuit-- with Mike on the NFLs DEI committee, he pretty much has to hire a minority HC after hiring a white GM and passing over two minority, internal GM candidates.

not saying its the only reason for the hire -- but it really helps at the margin

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here me out...Earlier in the year, Cowherd and others thought Murray and Wilson should switch teams because the offense each was running was better suited for the other QB. Denver was a dumpster fire, but that was about 95% on Wilson. Plus if he can bring Kubiak with him to work with Kyler, that would be a bonus...he comes from good lineage.

You must be registered for see images attach
Gary left due to serious illness. I’m not sure he’s up to the job.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can’t agree. Most guys I know going through the ranks get to meet guys who they hope to grab if they grt a shot at the big slot. That’s why you see so many guys who previously worked together, like Arians & Bowles.

Well yeah I agree. But all Flores experience was with the Pats and that Org had already lost a bunch of guys and promoted others just as Flores left. He didn't have a lot to draw from.

He was only 38 at the time too so not a tonne of years to pull from.

OP
OP
BirdGangThing

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
In a division with a young and developing Josh Allen and no Tom Brady.
Winning record is still a winning record, it means he kept his team locked in. I also don't think he had any advantages as it pertains to quarterback rosters/experience

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I imagine there's a Steelers forum archived somewhere where they asked "Should be make Mike Tomlin Head coach?" and 90% voted no and that they should hire Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm.
If this is as close as you can get to an argument for Flores, we definitely shouldn't hire him.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Winning record is still a winning record, it means he kept his team locked in. I also don't think he had any advantages as it pertains to quarterback rosters/experience
True, but if the GM talked about no ego then Flores is already out of the picture, or the GM is already full of it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't disagree...I just laugh, because BB has basically been a .500 coach without Tom. He's still GOAT, but he's been brought down to earth a bit.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Based upon this Flores is perhaps the anti-Kliff. His teams get better as the season progresses.

That seems great until we realize Kyler often is not close to 100% or is missing games completely in the 2nd half of seasons. So terrible starts to a season will likely spiral out of control regardless of Flores history in Miami.

I realize next season Kyler will be recovering from injury and may be out a significant portion of season anyway.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't disagree...I just laugh, because BB has basically been a .500 coach without Tom. He's still GOAT, but he's been brought down to earth a bit.

Agreed. To be fair - I would say almost every Hall of Fame coach (in any sport) had great talent...even a super star or two.

The other thing about Brady - he gave the Patriots cap flexibility to still have a great team around him. Unlike Aaron Rodgers (as an example).

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
the PFT article that speculated that Mike B is going to do the NFL a solid by hiring Brian Flores has me thinking

being a NFL "team player" is very on-brand for the Bidwills ---- its the primary historic source of their influence, and to defuse the Flores lawsuit by hiring him would do a solid for the other 31 owners (or at least 30 if you exclude the Dolphins).

also, politically beyond just the Flores lawsuit-- with Mike on the NFLs DEI committee, he pretty much has to hire a minority HC after hiring a white GM and passing over two minority, internal GM candidates.

not saying its the only reason for the hire -- but it really helps at the margin
Bidwill better be hiring the person he thinks will be the best for the job and hopefully make the Cards a winning team and not to do a solid for the rest of the owners and league.

If that is indeed a driving motivation then he is a total moron. I doubt many of the other 31 owners would be so stupid.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave