Worst seasons of ASU football in our lifetimes

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well Erickson and Co have secured the first back to back losing seasons since before the school became a university. You have to go all the way back to the 1940s, when Im sure none of us were around when ASU football was this bad. ASU will likely finish 4-8 this year and 9th in the Pac 10. This is unfathomably bad, this team should've won 6 or 7 games this years if they had anything resembling competent offensive coaching.

None of ASUs players are developing, the offensive recruiting is a joke, I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel right now. Olsen and Smith have got to go this is ridiculous.

Not only is ASU short on talent on offense but then theres the complete undisciplined play on both sides of the ball. Then theres the play calling that doesn't take advantage of the skills that the players do have. Or how about running the ball up the middle, throwing screen passes and short passes over the middle when down by 10 with under 4 minutes to go? Ericksons play calling is just laughably bad.

I guess Im just venting but its frustrating to see how far this program has fallen under Erickson.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well Erickson and Co have secured the first back to back losing seasons since before the school became a university. You have to go all the way back to the 1940s, when Im sure none of us were around when ASU football was this bad. ASU will likely finish 4-8 this year and 9th in the Pac 10. This is unfathomably bad, this team should've won 6 or 7 games this years if they had anything resembling competent offensive coaching.

None of ASUs players are developing, the offensive recruiting is a joke, I really don't see any light at the end of the tunnel right now. Olsen and Smith have got to go this is ridiculous.

Not only is ASU short on talent on offense but then theres the complete undisciplined play on both sides of the ball. Then theres the play calling that doesn't take advantage of the skills that the players do have. Or how about running the ball up the middle, throwing screen passes and short passes over the middle when down by 10 with under 4 minutes to go? Ericksons play calling is just laughably bad.

I guess Im just venting but its frustrating to see how far this program has fallen under Erickson.

This season can in no way help with recruiiting players like Jackson Jeffcoat. Sure they'd start day 1 but we will not be challenging for PAC-10 titles with this coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our commits open things up.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
we need to stop with that stupid rb draw out of shotgun. It sucks. we need to get a real offensive line and come up with a better scheme.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to take a look at the players ASU loses this year. It is quite a long list...These are just the players that get/got extended time this year:

OL-T. Altieri, B. Good, S. Luavao, and T. Njunge
TE-Jo. Williams and S. Malamala
RB-D. Nance and S. DeWitty
QB-D. Sullivan
WR-C.McGaha and Ky. Williams

DE-D. Davis
LB-T. Goethel, G. Munns, and M. Nixon.
CB-P. Singfield and T. Carr
S-J. Holman and R. McFoy

So, next year, this is realistically what we are looking at:

OL-J. Hargis, M. Hustad, Z. Sclink, and A. Tello
RB-C. Marshall, J. Miles*, and J. Morrison
QB-S. Threet, B. Osweiler, S. Szakacsy, and P. Thomas
WR-K. Taylor, J. Miles*, G. Robinson, A. Pflugrad, T. Simpson and G. Bell
TE-C. Coyle, S. Figueroa and D. Knapp.

DE-G. Smith, B. Irvin, J. Brooks, D. DeLeone, J. Jarrett and J. Robinson
DT-L. Guy, S. Falahola and C. Adams
LB-V. Burfict, B. Magee and S. Lyons
CB-O. Bolden, D. Carr and O. Irabor
S-C. Floyd

Italics denote incoming player for 2010 class.

I am not going to even try to figure out what is going to happen on the O-Line (hell, if DE can't even figure it out, what am I going to do). Marshall will have the early edge to be the starting RB, and it will be his job to lose. I like some of the glimpses we have seen from Marshall this year. Again, a lot of how well the RBs do will hinge on the O-Line's ability to open up holes. The WRs will be an interesting unit. I think that unit could be good but not great. The TEs, well, here's to hoping they aren't awful. As far as the QBs go, this will be an old fashioned QB battle. Nobody has asserted themselves so far this year, so I expect next spring to be a giant cluster-#$%@!

On defense, this team has a chance to be real good. The DT is about as solid as it could ever be. Falahola, Adams, or Guy can't really go wrong. The DE will be all about how well they can get someone to take over DD's role. The LBs are scary thin. The Corona crew will have to stay healthy because after that, it appears there isn't much to go with. The CBs will be all about health. Bolden and Irabor have played in only a handful of games due to injuries. Both guys have all the potential in the world, but we'll see if they can stay healthy and actually perform up to their potential. Having said that, I like what I've seen out of D. Carr so far. Very raw, but has great instincts. The safeties will again be the big question on defense. Floyd has played well at times this year, but there is no other safety that has seen significant time this year. There are 3 4* S recruits considering ASU, so hopefully they can get 1 or 2 of those guys, or at least get good play from someone making the switch from CB or LB to s.

In the end, ASU has a lot of holes to fill on a team that is quite bad already. Any pipe dreams that someone like Jeffcoat would come to ASU really need to end now. DE needs to put his ego on the back-burner and bring in an offensive mind to change what is going on offense. The program is slipping and somebody (PAGING MR. ERICKSON!) needs to grab hold and right the ship NOW!

The Grud Man

Reaction score
This team needs a decent O-line and QB in the worst way. I'm not sure that is going to change by next year.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to take a look at the players ASU loses this year. It is quite a long list...These are just the players that get/got extended time this year:

OL-T. Altieri, B. Good, S. Luavao, and T. Njunge
TE-Jo. Williams and S. Malamala
RB-D. Nance and S. DeWitty
QB-D. Sullivan
WR-C.McGaha and Ky. Williams

DE-D. Davis
LB-T. Goethel, G. Munns, and M. Nixon.
CB-P. Singfield and T. Carr
S-J. Holman and R. McFoy

So, next year, this is realistically what we are looking at:

OL-J. Hargis, M. Hustad, Z. Sclink, and A. Tello
RB-C. Marshall, J. Miles*, and J. Morrison
QB-S. Threet, B. Osweiler, S. Szakacsy, and P. Thomas
WR-K. Taylor, J. Miles*, G. Robinson, A. Pflugrad, T. Simpson and G. Bell
TE-C. Coyle, S. Figueroa and D. Knapp.

DE-G. Smith, B. Irvin, J. Brooks, D. DeLeone, J. Jarrett and J. Robinson
DT-L. Guy, S. Falahola and C. Adams
LB-V. Burfict, B. Magee and S. Lyons
CB-O. Bolden, D. Carr and O. Irabor
S-C. Floyd

Italics denote incoming player for 2010 class.

I am not going to even try to figure out what is going to happen on the O-Line (hell, if DE can't even figure it out, what am I going to do). Marshall will have the early edge to be the starting RB, and it will be his job to lose. I like some of the glimpses we have seen from Marshall this year. Again, a lot of how well the RBs do will hinge on the O-Line's ability to open up holes. The WRs will be an interesting unit. I think that unit could be good but not great. The TEs, well, here's to hoping they aren't awful. As far as the QBs go, this will be an old fashioned QB battle. Nobody has asserted themselves so far this year, so I expect next spring to be a giant cluster-#$%@!

On defense, this team has a chance to be real good. The DT is about as solid as it could ever be. Falahola, Adams, or Guy can't really go wrong. The DE will be all about how well they can get someone to take over DD's role. The LBs are scary thin. The Corona crew will have to stay healthy because after that, it appears there isn't much to go with. The CBs will be all about health. Bolden and Irabor have played in only a handful of games due to injuries. Both guys have all the potential in the world, but we'll see if they can stay healthy and actually perform up to their potential. Having said that, I like what I've seen out of D. Carr so far. Very raw, but has great instincts. The safeties will again be the big question on defense. Floyd has played well at times this year, but there is no other safety that has seen significant time this year. There are 3 4* S recruits considering ASU, so hopefully they can get 1 or 2 of those guys, or at least get good play from someone making the switch from CB or LB to s.

In the end, ASU has a lot of holes to fill on a team that is quite bad already. Any pipe dreams that someone like Jeffcoat would come to ASU really need to end now. DE needs to put his ego on the back-burner and bring in an offensive mind to change what is going on offense. The program is slipping and somebody (PAGING MR. ERICKSON!) needs to grab hold and right the ship NOW!

Just wanted to update this. Gerald Munns has been granted a 6th year of eligibility and will return next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn