World Cup prediction thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just thought we should have a thread just for predictions. Starting with who we think will make it out of each group. I have put them in order of where I think they will finish.

Group A
France
Mexico

Group B
Argentina
South Korea

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Germany
Serbia

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Ivory Coast

Group H
Spain
Chile

It was hard. There are a few that I have really close. We'll see after the first round of games.

I guess after we have done the group predictions we'll see who actually made it through and predict from there.

OP
OP
Milgod

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Or you might all be too scared to put your predictions forward. I understand, you don't want to look like fools. . . . . :D

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind looking like a fool

Group A:
France
South Africa

Group B:
Argentina
South Korea

Group C:
England
US

Group D:
Germany
Serbia

Group E:
Netherlands
Denmark

Group F:
Italy
Paraguay

Group G:
Brazil
Cote d'Ivoire

Group H:
Spain
Chile

Knockout:
France vs. South Korea
England vs. Serbia
Netherlands vs. Paraguay
Brazil vs. Chile
Argentina vs. South Africa
Germany vs. US (homer pick I know)
Italy vs. Denmark
Spain vs. Cote d'Ivoire

Quarterfinals:
South Korea vs. England
Netherlands vs. Brazil
Argentina vs. US
Italy vs. Spain

Semifinals:
England vs. Netherlands
Argentina vs. Spain

Finals:
Netherlands vs. Spain

I'm sure that A) my bracket is likely too heavy on Euro teams, and B) I don't have enough upsets although I tried to include a few.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My predictions

Group A
Mexico
France

Group B
Argentina
South Korea

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Serbia
Germany

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Hondurus

OP
OP
Milgod

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well a couple more brave souls. Lets get a few more people predicting before too many games have been played. Or do I have to call you all chickens?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well a couple more brave souls. Lets get a few more people predicting before too many games have been played. Or do I have to call you all chickens?

Group A
Mexico
France

Group B
Argentina
Greece

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Germany
Serbia

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Chile

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just thought we should have a thread just for predictions. Starting with who we think will make it out of each group. I have put them in order of where I think they will finish.

Group A
France
Mexico

Group B
Argentina
South Korea

Group C
England
USA

Group D
Germany
Serbia

Group E
Netherlands
Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay

Group G
Brazil
Ivory Coast

Group H
Spain
Chile

It was hard. There are a few that I have really close. We'll see after the first round of games.

I guess after we have done the group predictions we'll see who actually made it through and predict from there.

I didn't get time to enter mine, though I wanted to. Yours and mine look almost exactly the same, save for the fact that I have Switzerland advancing instead of Chile.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My predictions for tomorrows games...

South Korea 0 Greece 0, an utter bore of a game. South Korea tries to score but can't break down the Greek defense, Greece doesn't bother trying to do much attacking and just plays for set pieces

Argentina 3 Nigeria 1, Maradonna lets his playmakers play and they create a ton of chances

USA 1 England 1, England controls much of the play but the US scores on a set piece as Calamity James misses what should be an easy save and Gerrard scores for England, Rooney is frustrated all game by Michael Bradley'a poking and hard tackles and gets at least a yellow for retaliation.

That last score is my hope but I in my most pessimistic head I think it will likely be 2-1 or 2-0 England.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
South Korea is either better than I thought or the Greek defense isn't as good as advertised. So far 0 for 1 for me today.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
USA 1 England 1, England controls much of the play but the US scores on a set piece as Calamity James misses what should be an easy save and Gerrard scores for England, Rooney is frustrated all game by Michael Bradley'a poking and hard tackles and gets at least a yellow for retaliation.

I had the score right, the England goalscorer right and while I had the goal coming off a set piece and James making the mistake...I was pretty darned close.

This rarely ever happens for me. :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the score right, the England goalscorer right and while I had the goal coming off a set piece and James making the mistake...I was pretty darned close.

This rarely ever happens for me. :thumbup:

very nice. Please predict a USA victory Wed.

OP
OP
Milgod

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Right second round time
Uruguay - South Korea (although I enjoy watching SK play I think Uruguay have looked good so far)
USA - Ghana

Germany - England
Argentina - Mexico

Holland - Slovakia
Brazil - Chile

Paraguay - Japan (I had to pick one surprise, they looed much better than people thought they would)
Spain - Portugal

I'll probably change my mind in an hour!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Uruguay - South Korea
USA - Ghana

Germany - England
Argentina - Mexico

Holland - Slovakia
Brazil - Chile

Paraguay - Japan
Spain - Portugal

England is my "upset"...although I bet not a lot seperates them as far as betting odds go.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Uruguay - South Korea
USA - Ghana

Germany - England
Argentina - Mexico

Holland - Slovakia
Brazil - Chile

Paraguay - Japan
Spain - Portugal

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Uruguay - South Korea
USA - Ghana

Germany - England
Argentina - Mexico

Holland - Slovakia
Brazil - Chile

Paraguay - Japan
Spain - Portugal

Uruguay is on form and will be a tough, tough match for us when we advance. Sorry Shzm, but Argentina is just too damn hot right now. England has gained confidence and I hear that Schweinstager (sp?) is out for Germany. Chile is scoring and Brazil just isn't playing great soccer. Paraguay-Japan is a tossup, and Spain-Portugal should be a cracker, but I see Spain coming out of that game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right second round time
Uruguay - South Korea (although I enjoy watching SK play I think Uruguay have looked good so far)
USA - Ghana

Germany - England
Argentina - Mexico

Holland - Slovakia
Brazil - Chile

Paraguay - Japan (I had to pick one surprise, they looed much better than people thought they would)
Spain - Portugal

I'll probably change my mind in an hour!

That sounds like my prediction. Although I can't decide between Spain/Portugal. That's going to be a great game.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Argentina will beat Mexico easily, then Germany will beat Argentina in a not so closely contested game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Argentina will beat Mexico easily, then Germany will beat Argentina in a not so closely contested game.

I can see Argentina beating Mexico, but what makes you think Germany will beat them easily? That makes no sense. Mexico is no Germany, but they're a pretty good side nonetheless.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I can see Argentina beating Mexico, but what makes you think Germany will beat them easily? That makes no sense. Mexico is no Germany, but they're a pretty good side nonetheless.

I dont follow alot of soccer but from what I have seen Germany strikes me as being that good. That and my great grandfather came to the US from Germany so I will support them now that the US is out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I dont follow alot of soccer but from what I have seen Germany strikes me as being that good. That and my great grandfather came to the US from Germany so I will support them now that the US is out.

Supporting a team and being realistic about who will win and how they will win aren't necessarily the same thing. If you think Germany will beat Argentina, that's fine. But there is nothing that says Germany will easily beat them (especially after the game vs. Mexico).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard