With Hopkins getting paid, who's next?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
After the Hopkins deal there appears to be a decent amount of cap space available this year (about 12m?). Could that space be used for a CJ or PP extension and possibly free up some space down the road?

Chandler Jones currently is signed through next season, but has a $20m cap hit next year and the cap is expected to drop. Maybe with an extension some money could be pushed into this year's cap and get his cap number next year a little lower. He is also showing no signs of slowing down and it may be smart to get out ahead on an extension.

Patrick Peterson's contract runs out this year and he did have some struggled when he came back from suspension, but looked good down the stretch of last season. Would it be smart to wait for a few games before offering an extension or would that run the risk of him wanting to find a new team next offseason?

Ideally I think both need to get extended sooner rather than later and considering Kyler wouldn't see an extension kick in for another 3 seasons it might be a great time to get both locked in for a couple more seasons.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All depends on which P2 we see. I personally don't have high hopes. If he plays lights out them he probably gets the next extension in season. If he's average I think they tag him and draft a replacement.

My only hope is that P2 has been cruising on his rep for a while and now people are doubting him that gives him the push he needs. Where guys like Sherman (who is 2 years older) have still been balling Peterson has been believing too much of his own hype for a few years now. He hasn't been truly great since 2015.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If drake balls this yr i say drake

Maybe Peterson if he returns to old form

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If drake balls this yr i say drake

Maybe Peterson if he returns to old form
I like the idea of extending Drake, but Peterson definitely has to be priority especially if he shows to not have slowed down. I suppose CJ could wait until the off season if need be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's going to be some tough cap decisions next year and Drake is the easiest money to shed in a position thats flooded, a scheme that's RB friendly and with a guy they really like at RB2.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh forgot bout jones.... how much longer is in his contract? He should definitely be top priority

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say max Garcia, would be sweet and against the trend extending an injury prone journeyman

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chandler Jones a 3 year deal and then if you have money look what P2 did in training camp or Game 1 and look if you want to pay him a realistic price or he wants too much.

But Chandler Jones is probably the safer bet.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I have to choose one between Jones and Peterson i ll go with Chandler
But depth behind them is scary bad

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
P2 is the answer for me. Next offseason's available CBs are just trash, and we'll be replacing Alford as is. Starting two rookie CBs on the outside is unacceptable.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm

To pay the vastly superior & consistent player at a slightly more important position where athleticism isn’t a huge part of his game & where depth isn’t there either

Or

Pay the inferior player

Tough

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hmm

To pay the vastly superior & consistent player at a slightly more important position where athleticism isn’t a huge part of his game & where depth isn’t there either

Or

Pay the inferior player

Tough
Well it's not exactly that simple since Peterson expires sooner. So if the plan is to get both extended than Peterson due to being in the last year of his contract might be the safest bet to start with.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hmm

Or

Pay the inferior player

Tough
Like CSD said, the reality is that one guy comes up sooner. Both guys are the same age.

But of course, you hate Peterson and think we can roll with two rookie CBs on the outside next year, so I don't know why I'm even replying.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like CSD said, the reality is that one guy comes up sooner. Both guys are the same age.

But of course, you hate Peterson and think we can roll with two rookie CBs on the outside next year, so I don't know why I'm even replying.
Is that your go-to? Claim someone “hates” a athlete cause they differ from your opinion?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard