Wirfs vs Simmons

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
There has been a lot of conversations regarding these two the past few days.

We have a section that think Simmons was the right pick while Wirfs should’ve been the pick.

Is it too early to judge? Will their rookie season look more like their career?

I wanted to make a thread for this instead of seeing arguments in other threads.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both can be great.

However, it was said from the beginning that Simmons needed a top-flight defensive coordinator that is willing to build a defense around his skillset.

That wasnt us.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The grass is always greener on the other side

After just aseaon us too early

Simmons has pro bowl potential, just our coach prefer using slow veteran players(also Kennard or Fitts getting more snaps then gardeck) but the guy is still 22

Wirfs, has played with Brady and its easier for a lineman have good stats with him in the center

I would like to know the rating and stats of the buccaneers line, the starters

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is too early to judge yet.

But I do want to bring up Humphries was the 4th best tackle in the league last year according to PFF. That was the guy people thought we had to replace with a tackle last year - and by no means was there a consensus on which tackle was the best.

Management was happy enough with Humphries they gave him his big pay day and felt he could do the job. Keim appears to have been right on this so far.

I thought the tackle play was perfectly acceptable last year, the problems were with the center and the RG.

Regardless of how it turns out, you will never convince me taking Simmons was the wrong move. I would take the physical freak potential game changing productive in college LB over a tackle every time.

Hindsight is great and all, but during the draft nobody had a clue how either player would perform - so to me the argument is not about how they performed in their rookie season, it's about what the potential of each player was at draft time.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woo man this is tough

The guy that was a stud in college at a known OL factory & fitted our scheme to a T while also protecting the franchise

Or

The guy that *needed* the “right(lol)” DC to succeed with

Tough

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As I recall, the argument was, as someone else has pointed out, we needed a defensive player to cover tight ends, and Simmons pretty much fit that need to a tee.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Still waiting for Dvontel to show me where 1 person had Wirfs as the better prospect.

not going to happen.

That Iowa OL factory has produced 3 first round picks in 8 years in Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, and Wirfs. And 6 OL are in the NFL since 2013.

quite the factory.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
no good will come of this thread

and the real best choice was Justin Jefferson.......

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People seem to forget/not factor in that if we drafted Wirfs instead, he probably wouldn't have played like Simmons anyway...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's way too early to tell, and anyone pretending like it isn't needs to take a chill pill.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The last thing I’m worried about with this team is Isaiah Simmons and his development.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's not like protecting your young and undersized QB is important in a tough, defensive division....

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me , this is a classic example of what is done is done , and nothing any of us can ever Think , Do , or Say changes that . We need to be worried about our Coaching than what could of been .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Still waiting for Dvontel to show me where 1 person had Wirfs as the better prospect.

not going to happen.

That Iowa OL factory has produced 3 first round picks in 8 years in Riley Reiff, Brandon Scherff, and Wirfs. And 6 OL are in the NFL since 2013.

quite the factory.
Still waiting on you posting the list from NFL.com where Deandre Swift is the 8th highest graded prospect.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Still waiting on you posting the list from NFL.com where Deandre Swift is the 8th highest graded prospect.
not sure exactly what you're talking about. What does that have to do with Simmons vs. Wirfs draft rating.

I'm guessing I saw the Swift was rated 8th somewhere and said so. Draft grades change throughout the process and he fell. Big deal.

Never saw anywhere with Wirfs as a higher rated prospect than Simmons. Doubt I ever will either unless Iowa fanboy or Wirfs family runs a mock draft site.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not sure exactly what you're talking about. What does that have to do with Simmons vs. Wirfs draft rating.

I'm guessing I saw the Swift was rated 8th somewhere and said so. Draft grades change throughout the process and he fell. Big deal.

Never saw anywhere with Wirfs as a higher rated prospect than Simmons. Doubt I ever will either unless Iowa fanboy or Wirfs family runs a mock draft site.

NFL rates for prospects are the most accurate, seeing a player over 7points is pretty difficult
Simmons was

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Point is that a sites rankings are fairly ridiculous if they are ranking a RB that high.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Point is that Keim took the wrong player & it’ll come to a realization of many folks here by Week 12 or so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave