Wireless adapter keeps getting lost by laptop

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My girlfriends Toshiba Satellite does not have built in wifi so we have a USB wireless adapter from Linksys.

The problem we have is that when the computer reboots(like after windows updates or Symantec updates) or often after it hibernates, when it comes back up, it has "lost" the wireless adapter. If you look at the hardware list, it won't be there. If you go into add hardware, it doesn't have it there. I used to be able to get it working by just unplugging the cable and replugging it but now that doesn't always work either. Sometimes I have to do this 10 times before the computer makes the sound indicating you've just connected a device to it.

What I have found is by creating a shortcut for the wireless device on the desktop I can go in and disable it. If it's not listed, it will say you can't disable that device it is using something that may be shared by another device. When I finally get the system to acknowledge it's connected (by unplugging and replugging it over and over), I then go into add hardware and now the device is listed at the top with a red X on it saying this device is disabled. Then you just click next and finish to re-enable it and it works.

So I have 2 questions.

1) Why does it keep "losing" the device?

2) Is there another way to make it find it beyond the unplug/replug? Why does it tell me it can't disable it but when it eventually finds it, it says it's disabled? I'm thinking the can't disable it message is a clue as to why it gets lost, the shared resource thing?

Is this a hardware problem where a new adapter would solve it, or a software issue?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard