Winners and losers

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He said:

Originally posted by SirStefan32
We could profit by getting rid of Tom Googliota and maybe somebody else, save C's some money, and hope that they sing somebody next year.

My point is why bother talking about it when it's never going to happen? Tom Gugliotta won't be traded--speculation is worthless.

Why don't you just start a thread about what you would do if you won 20 million dollars tomorrow? The chances are about the same... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Chap, why don't you go back and read the entire thread- a couple of people suggested Utah might take Googs, and I said there is no way in heck that's going to happen. II said it more than once.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, why don't you go back and read the entire thread- a couple of people suggested Utah might take Googs, and I said there is no way in heck that's going to happen. II said it more than once.

You are correct, it will never happen, but yet you go on to describe how it would be good if we traded him and the reasons why we need to trade him. What nobody takes into consideration is the fact that no team, nowhere, would take him.

Yes, you said that Utah would never do it, and I apologize if you take my same stance, but many people on this board have said we need to trade him, but yet not one single team in the NBA would take him.

Also, I'm sorry if you took my original post to single you out (I know I only quoted you), but I was reacting to the reasoning for trading him, which is void because it isn't possible anyway.

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
You are correct, it will never happen, but yet you go on to describe how it would be good if we traded him and the reasons why we need to trade him

Because somebody asked what trading Googliota would do for the Suns/ how it would help them.

You and I agree Chap, nobody in their right mind is going to take Googliota.

fordronken

Reaction score
Because somebody asked what trading Googliota would do for the Suns/ how it would help them.

You and I agree Chap, nobody in their right mind is going to take Googliota.

I think there will be a lot of people calling about Gugliotta around the trade deadline as teams start thinking about clearing space for the free agent long shots in the offseason. The trade options probably aren't worth it, but to say that nobody in their right mind would trade for an expiring contract of his size is absurd.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by fordronken
I think there will be a lot of people calling about Gugliotta around the trade deadline as teams start thinking about clearing space for the free agent long shots in the offseason. The trade options probably aren't worth it, but to say that nobody in their right mind would trade for an expiring contract of his size is absurd.

And why, oh why, would we trade for crap and not use the cap cushion ourself??

The one and only reason to trade Gugliotta would be to improve ourselves this coming season--since we'll be rid of his contract next year anyway--and nobody is going to trade us anything of value for him--which is another reason he won't be traded.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It's not likely anyone would trade for Googs but it's not impossible this year. Maybe something like this - a team has a highly paid player under a long contract, that they have decided cannot get along with the coach/teammates/style. As the deadline nears they see they are not going anyplace in the post season and they'd rather have cap space than the player. If the Cs thought the guy wouldn't have similar problems here and would put us in competition for the title, they may go for it. All it takes is differing points of view for people on both sides to see themselves as getting the better of the deal.

fordronken

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
And why, oh why, would we trade for crap and not use the cap cushion ourself??

The one and only reason to trade Gugliotta would be to improve ourselves this coming season--since we'll be rid of his contract next year anyway--and nobody is going to trade us anything of value for him--which is another reason he won't be traded.

The part of the quote I was replying to had nothing to do with whether or not we would make the trade, but if anyone in their right mind would be willling to take him. You should also note that I said "the trade options probably aren't worth it." I do not think he will be traded, but the reason isn't because "nobody in their right mind is going to take Googliota".

cly2tw

Reaction score
I suggested the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago, Goog could be traded to Utah for them to meet the league min. salary requirement. Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.:thumbup:

From the replies to this thread, I see people are still confused about the nature of the problem. Let me try to clear it up a bit.

Fact 1: Each team in NBA must pay a minimum of about 30mil in annual salary.

Fact 2: Utah's is about 20 right now, 10 mil short of that min. requirement.

Fact 3: Utah doesn't appear to be able to find quality FA to use their cap room this offseason. And they don't seem to want to acquire over-paid contracts like Eddy Jones or Grant from the Heats.

Scenario 1: If the min. salary requirement is to be met at the end of the season like for the lux tax threshold, then Utah may be waiting till the trade deadline in Feb with their caps to keep their options open. If nothing happened till then, a trade for Googs for min cap purpose would be a logical move, since the main part of his salary would have been paid by the suns anyway.

Scenario 2: If the min. cap requirement is to be met at the beginning of the regular season, they need to deal now. A trade with Suns for Googs or Outlaw is mutually beneficial, but they have to bargain how to divide the gains from trade. And this depends on the alternatives Utah has for their cap space and how much the Suns is willing to compensate Utah to take the whole year's salary for Googs and the lux tax relief that'd come with it.

Many options are conceivable but I don't see any better deal with other teams Utah can do. Which team'd have higher gains to dump one-year salaries to Utah than the Suns? Maybe they could hire a couple FAs for one-year deals to solve their problems, but you can't expect serious talent coming.

So, the rest is to think of the reseasonable compensation in trading Googs salary. In scenario 1, no compensation may be needed at all. In scenario 2, Suns might have to pay 3. mil plus a pick or a player of interest to Utah. Personally I think, with the recent showing of Zarko, CJ is redundant in Phx and could be included in the deal. But no way would we give them JAKE.

OP
OP
SirStefan32

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
But it looks like nobody wants to play in Utah. Therefore, they are better off getting Eddie Jones who can play rather than Tom Googliota who can't.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The possible advantage of Gugliotta (from Utah's standpoint) is that his contract is up in only one year. They can "tread water" this season and still have a ton of cap space next off-season.

If they want a real player, however, how about Antawn Jamison? He has a huge contract, but he could be their franchise player (at PF) over the next several years.

For that matter, if Golden State could convince the Jazz to take Bob Sura (one year left at about $6 million) in the same deal, the Warriors would then be able to retain Arenas....

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

For that matter, if Golden State could convince the Jazz to take Bob Sura (one year left at about $6 million) in the same deal, the Warriors would then be able to retain Arenas....
Yes, but something is wrong with that plan since GSW signed Claxton which reduces the likelyhood of Arenas' re-signing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

If they want a real player, however, how about Antawn Jamison? He has a huge contract, but he could be their franchise player (at PF) over the next several years.

I was thinking the same thing after I heard that the Warriors would try to put the feelers out for him...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn