Will Suns make a move before the trade deadline?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It sucks that this new rule change means the Suns probably won't get the #1 again. Couldn't they have waited until next year?!?!?!

i believe we will be lucky the rule changed because we're more likely to be 3rd from the bottom than 1st
because we'll finish the last part of the season better
better than the Cavs and Bulls
and even if we're #4 it's only a few percentage points difference thanks to the new rule

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That doesn't make that much sense since Porzingis is still on his rookie contract and if that trade took place then the Suns would be in position to control where he goes in restricted free agency just like the Mavericks will this summer, if he doesn't sign the qualifying offer. I have a hard time believing he'll pass on a guaranteed max deal this summer to gamble on himself after his injury but who knows, maybe he does. Regardless though the control of Porzingis would be the same as the control they have of Jackson so saying they backed out because they are scared of a player leaving and building only through the draft doesn't fit this scenario.

So they valued the #4 pick more than Porzingis or you don’t believe Woj? As credible as he is you’d think he’d be a Celtic or 76er considering they had a higher pick that year (if his report is accurate).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I also don't get too upset about this kind of stuff because who knows how it would have affected getting Ayton. That said, they need to start making smart decisions soon.
Ah good point. I missed the 18 months ago. So pre-worst season. Might have knocked us out of Ayton sweepstakes. Tough to have had that foresight then.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
wow, i'm not sure what McD/Sarver's plan was/is.

With Sarver, it's not clear there is or was ever a "plan" in terms of managing the franchise. He seems to just fly by the seat of his pants with whatever happens to pop into his head recently. I don't know if that was the same with McD... or if any grand master plans he happened to concoct were continually thwarted by Sarver's interference. In any case, there has NEVER seemed to be much of a coherent plan in the Sarver era toward building anything of lasting momentum in terms of winning.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ah good point. I missed the 18 months ago. So pre-worst season. Might have knocked us out of Ayton sweepstakes. Tough to have had that foresight then.

Yeah...I think it's one of those inexcusable choices that may end up working out better in the end. They need to stop with those though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they valued the #4 pick more than Porzingis or you don’t believe Woj? As credible as he is you’d think he’d be a Celtic or 76er considering they had a higher pick that year (if his report is accurate).

I'm not questioning Woj, I'm questioning you and your idea that the Suns are terrified of trading for a player because they'll leave and they're dead set on building through the draft. That was your reason as to why the Suns turned down the trade. I'm calling BS on that because Porzingis was/is on a rookie deal just like our draft pick that year, Jackson, is now so your idea that the Suns wouldn't trade for him because they're scared of him leaving makes no sense since the Suns would have the same contract control with Porzingis as Jackson.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not questioning Woj, I'm questioning you and your idea that the Suns are terrified of trading for a player because they'll leave and they're dead set on building through the draft. That was your reason as to why the Suns turned down the trade. I'm calling BS on that because Porzingis was/is on a rookie deal just like our draft pick that year, Jackson, is now so your idea that the Suns wouldn't trade for him because they're scared of him leaving makes no sense since the Suns would have the same contract control with Porzingis as Jackson.

Oh yeah nothing to do with KP. I was ranting because I believed that tweet you posted. If that was legit McD would’ve pulled the trigger.

Little E

Reaction score
I have seen that New Orleans would like to move Mirotic for a first round draft pick. I think we should make a trade offer for both Mirotic and Holiday for Milwaukee's 1st round pick + Josh Jackson + TJ Warren+ filler to make salary's work. This would solve both the stretch 4 and point guard problems for KOKO's system. This should be appealing to NO since they are going to deal AD to the Lakers for there young talent which will include Lonzo.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't you get the message. Players must be near all stars half way through their second season or they are a disappointment.

So I guess in the 2017 draft only Fox, Tatum, Mitchell and maybe Kuzma have any value according to him.
Players drafted in 2017 I would rather have then Ball or J.J
Fox, Isaac, Markkanen, Smith Jr. Mitchell, Both Collins, Jarrett Allen, Kuzma
Ball, Jackson and Fultz are big disappointments.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes please. I would like to see "tons". You are greatly exaggerating in two posts. First you said "Every article on the freaking net". Then you said "tons praising him".

I just did a search and I didn't get to a single positive article on Ball for pages and pages. I am sure you can cherry pick some articles but overwhelmingly the articles about Ball have been negative.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lon...rgAhW5HjQIHaQEDd04KBDy0wMIcQ&biw=1488&bih=955

Is Ball the worst ever? No. Not by a long shot. He isn't a franchise changer either. He will be another player in a long line of players who never live up to the hype.

P.S. I know this is a complete pipe dream but man.....I wish we could get our hands on Kyle Irving since he appears NOT to want to resign with Boston.

Could you imagine, Irving, Booker and Ayton on the same team? Talk about franchise changing!!!!
I did your search and didn't get a negative for pages and pages. With the Google search option put aside cause you are right it can be cherry picked to death from both sides....out of all 30 teams how many would take Lonzo in a heartbeat? I'm saying 22-25 without hesitation. And I believe most on here would say 20+

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see the Suns turning down a trade for Porzingis. If they did, we are in some serious hurt.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I can agree I would rather have Fox and Mitchell and possibly Kuzma (if the coaches would know how to use him) than JJ, but JJ is going to be a good one. Stay for the long(er) run. No point going for an always injured player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Players drafted in 2017 I would rather have then Ball or J.J
Fox, Isaac, Markkanen, Smith Jr. Mitchell, Both Collins, Jarrett Allen, Kuzma
Ball, Jackson and Fultz are big disappointments.

What has Isaac shown? Smith Jr isn't too valuable either. Maybe Allen but hes not as good as Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Gambo? I trust Woj more...

Maybe but at the time there were a lot of reports saying that the Knicks kept shooting down our offers because we wouldn't include Booker. And I say maybe because I don't think the Woj of today is the Woj of 5 years ago. He's full of it as often as not; anymore he's as likely to be a shill for various execs, agents and players around the league as he is an actual reporter. He may still be correct more often than Gambo but that's not a very high bar.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If fans are waiting for the Pelicans to make a trade we may have to wait awhile longer.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did your search and didn't get a negative for pages and pages. With the Google search option put aside cause you are right it can be cherry picked to death from both sides....out of all 30 teams how many would take Lonzo in a heartbeat? I'm saying 22-25 without hesitation. And I believe most on here would say 20+

Huh? You were wrong. It wasn’t most and definitely not all were positive articles. You made it sound like most were praising Ball. That simply isn’t true. There were mostly negative articles 15 pages in. If Ball was associated with mostly positive articles that is not how Google would aggregate stories about him.

So again without proof now your saying 25 of 30 teams would line up for him?!?

Based on what?

I bet it’s more like 5 or 6 teams at most that would make serious overtures and most of them only because they think they could coach him up.

Slinslin is that you!???! [emoji6]

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't want the circus but I guess I was assuming or at least hoping that Lavar would continue to stay in the background.
Consider the possibility that two loose cannons like Lavar and Sarver, each craving attention, will feed off each other and magnify the embarrassment that we've seen each endure separately.

I think it will be a circus! The reputation of the Suns will further decline. Their antics fit in L.A., New York or Chicago. Not in laid-back Phoenix.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
According to Gambo? I trust Woj more...

Maybe but at the time there were a lot of reports saying that the Knicks kept shooting down our offers because we wouldn't include Booker. And I say maybe because I don't think the Woj of today is the Woj of 5 years ago. He's full of it as often as not; anymore he's as likely to be a shill for various execs, agents and players around the league as he is an actual reporter. He may still be correct more often than Gambo but that's not a very high bar.

I agree with Steve for the most part regarding Woj, he isn't who he was 5 years ago. He seems caught up in trying to be first more than being right nowadays and his reporting has suffered because of that. I know he's had to backtrack a few times this year when he's jumped the gun simply because he wanted to be first. He has Shams as sort of his main competition and the only reason Shams got as big as he is has to do with him beating Woj to the punch on a few scoops over the last couple of season.

Remember it was Woj who broke the news of the Ariza trade that never happened also and he did that about 2 hours before it was even possible because it wasn't December 15th on the East Coast yet. That is where the league office is and because of that it's the timezone that NBA business is conducted under. I do recall a few people pointing that out at the time, that Woj jumped the gun but he was given a pass by a few people here for doing so and I'm not sure why because what he reported was incorrect and ended up not happening. Perhaps his reporting kept the original deal from being salvaged because once everything was public it made all of the NBA front offices that were involved look bad but for some reason not many people thought the reporting was shoddy.

I remember when the trade talk was happening 2 years ago regarding the #4 pick or Jackson and with New York it was reported numerous times that the deal wasn't progressing because we wouldn't include Booker. It was speculated that New York didn't really want to trade Porzingis and that's why they asked for the one player they knew we would say no to. It's odd how that pick and that pick alone, or Jackson after he was selected but it depends on which narrative the talking heads want to push now will go with, was apparently able to get us Kyrie, Kevin Love, or Porzingis in the Summer of 2017 but at the time when those deals were discussed it was always that pick plus more. If you dig up some old threads I'm confident that they will discuss those deals as being much more complex than just the pick or just Jackson for one of those players. I remember talk of that pick alone being something we should do but anymore more than that for what could be a rental, for any of those 3, would be too much and I believe that's how it actually went down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consider the possibility that two loose cannons like Lavar and Sarver, each craving attention, will feed off each other and magnify the embarrassment that we've seen each endure separately.

I think it will be a circus! The reputation of the Suns will further decline. Their antics fit in L.A., New York or Chicago. Not in laid-back Phoenix.

I know you can't stand Sarver but that's a horrible comparison. In the almost decade you've been aware of him how many times has he done something to satisfy this supposed need for attention? A handful, maybe, if you want to spin all of the incidents that way. Lavar OTOH cries "look at me, look at me" whenever he smells a camera or a mic.

I know Sarver has his share of faults but I don't get this idea you have that he's an attention *****, quite the opposite IMO which is why he's such a fish out of water when he is getting attention.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys and your Woj obsession, believing him to be part of some kind of cabal against the Suns and basically just some shmoe on twitter throwing ish against the wall to see what sticks continues to crack me up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about 2017. Wojnarowski was on top of his game although Gambo knows more of the local details.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson