Will Suns make a move before the trade deadline?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not sure there’s an argument in not trading Jackson for Ball if that was a legit possibly. Actually I’m sure there’s not an argument for it.

I seem to be middle of the road on Ball, I don't think he's a disaster, I also don't think he'll ever be an all star, I think he projects as solid starter but with serious flaws. I think of JJ as being similar, but at a different position and we do need a PG far worse than a wing player.

However, I don't think their talent can be viewed in a vacuum:

IMO a big reason LaVar has been quiet this year is because his kid has about 1/1000th of the clout in that organization that LeBron does. I think a traded Lonzo will equal a resurgent, obnoxious, cancerous by proxy LaVar.

I'd also rather not be a significant aid in the Lakers getting Anthony Davis.

And I'd rather take our chances with free agency or trade targets this summer than give up assets for, what I believe to be, a poor man's Ricky Rubio, which isn't a bad player, but I'd like us to aim for more.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ball is Jeremy Lin without the stellar stretch Lin had, but with better passing and rebounding. I can see Ball putting a string of games together though, where he has a good amount of assists, rebounds and drops some 3's. I do like the pace he plays at, so that's a plus given our young legs that should be able to run.

This FO needs to aim for the stars and quite with the 2nd and 3rd tier players.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shall I pull the articles that praise him cause it's tons...c'mon man

Yes please. I would like to see "tons". You are greatly exaggerating in two posts. First you said "Every article on the freaking net". Then you said "tons praising him".

I just did a search and I didn't get to a single positive article on Ball for pages and pages. I am sure you can cherry pick some articles but overwhelmingly the articles about Ball have been negative.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Lon...rgAhW5HjQIHaQEDd04KBDy0wMIcQ&biw=1488&bih=955

Is Ball the worst ever? No. Not by a long shot. He isn't a franchise changer either. He will be another player in a long line of players who never live up to the hype.

P.S. I know this is a complete pipe dream but man.....I wish we could get our hands on Kyle Irving since he appears NOT to want to resign with Boston.

Could you imagine, Irving, Booker and Ayton on the same team? Talk about franchise changing!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P.S. I know this is a complete pipe dream but man.....I wish we could get our hand on Kyle Irving since he appears NOT to want to resign with Boston.

Could you imagine, Irving, Booker and Ayton on the same team? Talk about franchise changing!!!!

Holiday, Booker and Ayton would be very close.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then add Zion and Bridges.

Yes. This would be a dream come true. It would be crazy if the Suns got he #1 pick two drafts in a row.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They are not getting Zion. They got one number one pick. There is no way they are getting two in a row.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Where is all the discussion about the Porzingis to Dallas trade? I don't really see any anwhere on this board.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There was a bit of conversation in the Around the NBA thread. Bunch of people were saying the Suns should have traded for him, and others were saying they wouldn't trade for him. Slin was going off about how he could not play next to Ayton because he was 7"3 and a Center, etc. You know, the usual.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are not getting Zion. They got one number one pick. There is no way they are getting two in a row.
Emotion speaking? Its a 14% chance. Just like a couple other teams. Not worth tanking for, but we can have just as much optimism as any other team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not counting on it but I want the Suns to protect their first round pick in the draft if they trade it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sucks that this new rule change means the Suns probably won't get the #1 again. Couldn't they have waited until next year?!?!?!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh they should absolutely protect their pick just in case, but I am just saying that it's not likely they will get another number one pick.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh they should absolutely protect their pick just in case, but I am just saying that it's not likely they will get another number one pick.
And I would agree with that. Its the "they are not getting it" part that I disagree with.

Whoever gets Zion will have had unlikely prospects.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And I would agree with that. Its the "they are not getting it" part that I disagree with.

Whoever gets Zion will have had unlikely prospects.

Well, sure, but if I have a 14% or 12% chance of getting something, I am not going to talk myself into expecting it, especially if I JUST beat the odds on the previous try.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are scared **** about any player they trade for leaving. We just need to accept that this team will need to be built thru the draft.

Well - lets think about this - say we did trade for Porzingas 18 months ago, then he got hurt. Do you honestly think there is any chance he would not have demanded a trade from here too the way the last 2 years have gone?

I guess it would have still been the right deal in retrospect, because Porzingas has more value in a trade than Jackson - But it would not have helped us that much.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns are scared **** about any player they trade for leaving. We just need to accept that this team will need to be built thru the draft.

There is not a single team in modern NBA history that has been successful building exclusively through the draft. Not one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well - lets think about this - say we did trade for Porzingas 18 months ago, then he got hurt. Do you honestly think there is any chance he would not have demanded a trade from here too the way the last 2 years have gone?

I guess it would have still been the right deal in retrospect, because Porzingas has more value in a trade than Jackson - But it would not have helped us that much.

Well, we wouldn't have a gaping hole at power forward to fill for next year, and in all likelihood the last 2 years would have gone significantly better. And this is coming from a big fan of Jackson.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I also don't get too upset about this kind of stuff because who knows how it would have affected getting Ayton. That said, they need to start making smart decisions soon.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we wouldn't have a gaping hole at power forward to fill for next year, and in all likelihood the last 2 years would have gone significantly better. And this is coming from a big fan of Jackson.

You are missing my point - we would have just had to trade him - probably for the same deal the Knicks just got - so yes we would still have a gaping hole.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That doesn't make that much sense since Porzingis is still on his rookie contract and if that trade took place then the Suns would be in position to control where he goes in restricted free agency just like the Mavericks will this summer, if he doesn't sign the qualifying offer. I have a hard time believing he'll pass on a guaranteed max deal this summer to gamble on himself after his injury but who knows, maybe he does. Regardless though the control of Porzingis would be the same as the control they have of Jackson so saying they backed out because they are scared of a player leaving and building only through the draft doesn't fit this scenario.