Will Clark evaluating the Diamondbacks

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Found this little tidbit on CBS Sportsline.

Retired slugger Will Clark was at the game at the request of his former agent -- new Diamondbacks chairman Jeff Moorad -- to take a look at the team. ...

Djaughe

Reaction score
Clark could come aboard

Mark Gonzales
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 28, 2004 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Will Clark's appearance Monday night at Bank One Ballpark marked what could be the first major step in the retooling of the Diamondbacks.

CEO-Elect Jeff Moorad, who represented the six-time All-Star first baseman during 15 seasons in the majors, invited him.

"I wanted to sort of feel these guys out and see what they said," Clark said while observing batting practice. Clark, 40, then watched Monday's game against Milwaukee from a suite with Moorad after visiting with general partners Ken Kendrick and Dale Jensen.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('BoxAd')http://q.azcentral.com/RealMedia/ad...r250x250.gif/31386464373930623431353333663230
You must be registered for see images

Since retiring after the 2000 season, Clark has kept a relatively low profile from his New Orleans home. He attended the Chicago Cubs' 2003 spring training as a guest coach under Dusty Baker, his former hitting coach and manager in San Francisco.

Clark served in a similar capacity this past spring with St. Louis, with which he finished his storied career.

"I've kept my fingers in it," said Clark, a career .303 hitter. "This is nothing formal. It's more Jeff and I have been friends for more than 20 years, and he wanted me to come in and talk to him, and we'll talk."

It's uncertain what role Clark would be offered, but he was very observant during batting practice.

"I have a feeling it would have to be more the organization's decision," Clark said of a job offer.

In the 1989 National League Championship Series, Clark (.650) out-hit Mark Grace (.647) in leading San Francisco past Chicago.

Sexson talks

A difference in guaranteed years is the main issue in negotiations with impending free-agent slugger Richie Sexson.

Diamondbacks General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. spoke with agent Casey Close and said the two sides would resume talks later this week.

Winter ball

Center fielder Luis Terrero and shortstop Jerry Gil will play for La Romana of the Dominican League this winter. Pitcher Edgar Gonzalez and outfielder Josh Kroeger will play in the Mexican Pacific League. Alex Cintron will return to Caguas of the Puerto Rican League.[/font]