Will Arizona ever get the All Star Game?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Someone who lives in Phoenix who says "What is First Fridays" is obviously completely ignorant about downtown Phoenix. People come from all over to enjoy First Fridays, its been written up by the LA Times and many other national media outlets.

If you think it takes 4 major sports facilities to make a great downtown, I'd really like you to name one downtown that meets that criteria. New York, Portland, San Francisco, none of them have 4 huge sports facilities in their downtowns.

Regarding the ASU students, "I highly doubt they will be living downtown" Really? I guess the 12 and 15 story residential buildings ASU is building for them are just going to sit empty?

Who's going to buy condos downtown? Lots of people, in fact Summit at Copper Square and 44 Monroe are both between 85-90% sold out. So there goes that argument.

Downtowns are more than just people driving to them to watch a game and then driving home to their house in Gilbert. Downtowns need people living there 24/7, and thats what Phoenix is working towards.

Here is a life lesson for you, "different strokes for different folks." Just because you are a huge sports fan, doesn't mean everyone is. Just because living downtown isn't appealing to you, doesn't mean its unappealing to everyone. Great city centers thrive due to a diversity of projects and things to do. There are thousands of people pushing to make downtown Phoenix a great place, and by 2010, it will be a dramatically changed and better place.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Here is a life lesson for you, "different strokes for different folks." Just because you are a huge sports fan, doesn't mean everyone is. Just because living downtown isn't appealing to you, doesn't mean its unappealing to everyone. Great city centers thrive due to a diversity of projects and things to do. There are thousands of people pushing to make downtown Phoenix a great place, and by 2010, it will be a dramatically changed and better place.

Errr.....I think that we would all love for downtown to be more vibrant and be a place we WANT to go to hang out and have a good time. It is slowly getting there, but common, the real reason tourists come to Phoenix is to hit the links. For that reason, why would anyone want to stay downtown when they can stay on the golf course at any of our numerous resorts in the area.

Secondly...they are building a "hi-rise" condominium right next to my office building. However, case and point that not many want to live downtown yet: the project got foreclosed on and has been sitting idle the past two months. Honestly, downtown is just not going to ever be "the" place to be, but it will be the place I will be everyday for work and down by the stadiums it will prosper.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Secondly...they are building a "hi-rise" condominium right next to my office building. However, case and point that not many want to live downtown yet: the project got foreclosed on and has been sitting idle the past two months. Honestly, downtown is just not going to ever be "the" place to be, but it will be the place I will be everyday for work and down by the stadiums it will prosper.

Are you talking about Chateux on Central? If so, 1. Thats not downtown. 2. That project was ****** to begin with, and I'm amazed it got as far as it did. It was very poorly run and mismanaged from the start.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Scott Bordow this morning wrote:
The Arizona Diamondbacks have wanted to host Major League Baseball’s All-Star game for years. It looks like they’ll finally get their chance in 2011.

Although they are being careful not to sound too optimistic, Diamondbacks officials are confident the 2011 game will be played at Chase Field.

“We’re pushing hard, trying to get it here, and we think we can,” team president Derrick Hall said.

The 2011 game is the earliest open date available for a National League club. This year’s All-Star game will be played in San Francisco, the 2008 game reportedly will be held in Yankee Stadium as a tribute to the building before it’s torn down, the 2009 game has been awarded to St. Louis, and the 2010 game will be played at an American League site.

Major League Baseball has used the All-Star game to reward teams with new stadiums. Eight of the nine games played from 2000 to 2009 will have been held in facilities built since 1999. Chase Field, formerly known as Bank One Ballpark, opened in 1998.

“I think we’ve just been innocently bypassed,” Hall said.

Major League Baseball officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The Diamondbacks hoped to land the 2009 game but switched their sights to 2011 once they learned St. Louis would get that year’s contest. Team officials lobbied commissioner Bud Selig last month and planned to speak with him Wednesday night at the annual owners’ meetings being held in Phoenix.

Arizona and Florida are the only two NL franchises yet to host the game.

“We’ve expressed our desire and he (Selig) obviously understands we want it here,” Hall said. “It’s an extremely political issue because every team wants an All-Star game, but here we are coming up on 10 years (in Chase Field) and we haven’t had one.”

Hall believes one factor working in Arizona’s favor is that expansion of the Phoenix Convention Center and light rail construction is scheduled to be completed by 2011.

The Cincinnati Reds are expected to lobby for the game as well.

“We’d certainly like to put on a spectacular show,” managing general partner Ken Kendrick said, “and we think we can.”

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Cool, looks like that would be good timing, considering 2012 is going to be the Arizona centennial and a lot of things are getting revamped for that (Papago Park, Capitol Mall, etc), some of which may be ready for the ASG.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Lightrail will be complete in '08, just FYI.

Another thing hindering an All Star game (and many large events) coming to Phx is the lack of downtown hotel space. Downtown only has 1,400 rooms right now- thats insanely low. When the Sheraton is complete thatll go up to 2,400. Hopefully Sarver can sort out the W mess thats another 200 rooms or so. No word yet on how many rooms Hotel Monroe will have. There are also proposals for a hotel to go on the parking lot that sits just west of the arena. The pad south of the BofA tower was also originally proposed as a hotel, so who knows, something could go there as well.

I thought the same thing a few years ago but now I believe that wouldn't have nearly as much of an impact as I thought seeing how the large majority of the people (be it tourists, players, baseball management, etc...) who fly in here for the week would head over to Scottsdale rather then stick around the downtown area.

Highpointer

Reaction score
Downtown Phoenix is definitely better than the South Bronx

Lightrail will be complete in '08, just FYI.

I too hope AZ gets the All Star game ,and agree a finished convention center will help. By 2010 downtown Phoenix is going to be a much more vibrant area than it is now, light rail, the convention center, ASU, multiple high rise condo projects, the W hotel, Hotel Monroe, Cityscape, the Sheraton, etc. should all be complete and would make the event a lot of fun.

Another thing hindering an All Star game (and many large events) coming to Phx is the lack of downtown hotel space. Downtown only has 1,400 rooms right now- thats insanely low. When the Sheraton is complete thatll go up to 2,400.

Why should the lack of downtown hotel space be a problem? There are plenty of hotel rooms throughout the metropolitan area. One of the features I like about downtown Phoenix is that it is not too crowded. One can drive into downtown Phoenix without encountering traffic gridlock, and one can usually find a place to park that is usually low-cost or free. Putting more big buildings in downtown Phoenix will increase traffic gridlock and make it nearly impossible to find a place to park.

Also, the 2008 All-Star Game will be played at Yankee Stadium. How many hotel rooms does the South Bronx have? Why does Phoenix get blamed for having a downtown that is substandard, when our downtown is clearly a better place to visit than the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium?

Ken Akerman
Tempe, AZ

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yankee Stadium is historic and home of the greatest franchise in American sports history, thats why they are getting the ASG, not because the Bronx is a great place.

It is important that downtown get more hotel rooms, not only for something like the ASG but also for conventions and large events in general. Phoenix gets passed over for many large events and lack of hotel space is one of the main reasons.

Your reasoning that downtown Phoenix is easy to get around and for lack of a better word empty, is a bit backward. If downtown doesn't have enough hotel rooms, everyone has to stay on the outskirts of town, in Tempe, the Biltmore area, Scottsdale, etc. What happens then? Everyone has to DRIVE downtown, find a place to park, etc. Now what happens if downtown can vastly increase its hotel space? Then more people stay downtown and just walk to events, or take the light rail down the road for a stop or two, thus traffic won't be a problem.

So I guess what I'm saying is that putting more buildings in downtown on the whole will NOT increase traffic downtown. Phoenix (downtown and the metro area) is very short on hotel rooms, and its something we need more of. Luckily, there are plans for about half a dozen new hotels on the boards, hopefully they happen.

EDIT: Also, if we do get the ASG in lets say 2011, the new Jackson St entertainment district should be in full swing by then. Check it out:

An overview of the district:
You must be registered for see images

Some renderings:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the article that the pictures come from: http://www.contact-mag.com/issue6/feature1.htm

Also, here is a VERY early rendering of the hotel that is proposed to go just west of USAC:

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why should the lack of downtown hotel space be a problem? There are plenty of hotel rooms throughout the metropolitan area. One of the features I like about downtown Phoenix is that it is not too crowded. One can drive into downtown Phoenix without encountering traffic gridlock, and one can usually find a place to park that is usually low-cost or free. Putting more big buildings in downtown Phoenix will increase traffic gridlock and make it nearly impossible to find a place to park.

Also, the 2008 All-Star Game will be played at Yankee Stadium. How many hotel rooms does the South Bronx have? Why does Phoenix get blamed for having a downtown that is substandard, when our downtown is clearly a better place to visit than the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium?

Ken Akerman
Tempe, AZ

Ken - welcome to the board!! I don't get out highpointing much anymore, but am back in AZ, so hope to do some at some point.

Hotels are a vital part of the deal. Yankee Stadium gets a pass because it is Yankee Stadium - but everyone stays in Manhattan anyways. Several new hotels are opening up downtown soon, so that excuse will no longer be valid.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember when AWA was first built, you were taking your life into your own hands walking through the warehouse district..... scary stuff back then

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when AWA was first built, you were taking your life into your own hands walking through the warehouse district..... scary stuff back then

lol, reminds me of Baltimore. I used to go to Orioles games back when I lived in MD some of the night games everyone would run to the ballpark and then after the game run back to their cars, crime was terrible.

Anyways, about the Jackson street thing, that looks awesome! I'd totally get an appartment there, it would be easy as hell going to Suns/Dbacks games, plus it would probably give Phoenix more of a "big city" feel. Though I wonder why they're still going to be building complexs further south, I remember when I went to Phx the planes came in pretty low over Chase Field and USAWC, considering that those buildings are going to be pretty tall, there has to be some homeland security issues. You'd think they'ed start building more north but I'm sure they've run those statistics already, it still looks like a fun place to live.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
^None of those buildings will really be taller than Chase Field/the Summit building, so it shouldn't be an issue. The city just passed a thing allowing new height limits in the area. Basically the deal is that developers can build taller buildings, on the condition that they also save and restore a historic warehouse in the area.

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they'll probably just build up on/around Central avenue anyway.

Back ontopic: I promise you guys, if I'm ever the comish' of MLB, Arizona will have the All Star game every damn year!

Edit: Speaking of centers going up, what's the name of that shopping center they're building out near Cardinals Stadium in Glendale? I remember seeing 3tv do a report on it a while back but I forget the name. Anyways, it reminds me a lot of the Jackson street setup.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have gone to a couple of night games at Yankee Stadium, and that is not a walk in the park. The South Bronx at night is not a safe place.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Yeah, they'll probably just build up on/around Central avenue anyway.

Back ontopic: I promise you guys, if I'm ever the comish' of MLB, Arizona will have the All Star game every damn year!

Edit: Speaking of centers going up, what's the name of that shopping center they're building out near Cardinals Stadium in Glendale? I remember seeing 3tv do a report on it a while back but I forget the name. Anyways, it reminds me a lot of the Jackson street setup.

Thats Westgate. Its much more suburban, Westgate is more like Desert Ridge. Its got a big parking lot, all the stores face inwards towards the development, etc. Jackson St is going to be more of a true urban area, park on the side of the street or in a garage, everything facing the street, not a lot of chain places, etc. There is room for both in the Valley of course, but I much prefer the Jackson St type of development.

trueherotillman

Registered
Reaction score
hopefully the renovations to Chase Field will make it a better place to see a game. as of last year, i wouldnt have expected MLB to award us with a game.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
True. But walking around downtown is quite unpleasant. Then again the White Sox seem to host it every ten years and the South Side isn't too nice.

That's like saying that Baghdad is somewhat dangerous.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Yankee Stadium is historic and home of the greatest franchise in American sports history, thats why they are getting the ASG, not because the Bronx is a great place.

It is important that downtown get more hotel rooms, not only for something like the ASG but also for conventions and large events in general. Phoenix gets passed over for many large events and lack of hotel space is one of the main reasons.

Your reasoning that downtown Phoenix is easy to get around and for lack of a better word empty, is a bit backward. If downtown doesn't have enough hotel rooms, everyone has to stay on the outskirts of town, in Tempe, the Biltmore area, Scottsdale, etc. What happens then? Everyone has to DRIVE downtown, find a place to park, etc. Now what happens if downtown can vastly increase its hotel space? Then more people stay downtown and just walk to events, or take the light rail down the road for a stop or two, thus traffic won't be a problem.

So I guess what I'm saying is that putting more buildings in downtown on the whole will NOT increase traffic downtown. Phoenix (downtown and the metro area) is very short on hotel rooms, and its something we need more of. Luckily, there are plans for about half a dozen new hotels on the boards, hopefully they happen.

EDIT: Also, if we do get the ASG in lets say 2011, the new Jackson St entertainment district should be in full swing by then. Check it out:

An overview of the district:
You must be registered for see images

Some renderings:

Here is the article that the pictures come from: http://www.contact-mag.com/issue6/feature1.htm

Also, here is a VERY early rendering of the hotel that is proposed to go just west of USAC:

Someone has been visiting the SSP.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort