Wild game and fishing.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I love this time of year. In the past 3 months my Dad, my friend, and I bagged a bighorn sheep, a deer, ducks, geese, chukar, doves, quail, and have been killing the fishing getting abalone, trout, catfish, and two massive yellow tail tunas.

The meat has been fantastic and I swear I feel more energetic lately eating so much wild meat rather than store bought that I think I might go hunting every weekend I possibly can to stock up.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each year I get some of the deer meat I harvest processed into andouille sausage. Something about elk chorizo is incredible as well.

Heu, you ever make a shepherd's pie with venison? Puts beef to shame.
If you ever have extra, please share. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can mail you jerky.

I don't want to mail a dry ice package and then have vapors coming out of the package and get us thrown in the pokey until they realize the only explosive device was the spices. :)
Cool.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Never done the shepards pie. I will have to try it. I'm going chuckar hunting again on Saturday and I'm thinking about doing a turducken style dish with duck, chukar, and quail. We'll see if it's any good.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The kill and gut is the last part of the food chain I have yet to experience in my profession. I need to go on a wild boar hunt.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I've never hunted boar but I've heard it's a thrilling hunt. I've got enough points that I should be able to pull an Elk tag next year. That's going to be awesome, my freezer will be full for 6 months.

Oh and Mulli there is no such thing as "leftover" deer sausage.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never hunted boar but I've heard it's a thrilling hunt. I've got enough points that I should be able to pull an Elk tag next year. That's going to be awesome, my freezer will be full for 6 months.

Oh and Mulli there is no such thing as "leftover" deer sausage.
I figured that was why my relatives haven't given me any in 30 years.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Venison roast with venison sausage and Brie as an app. Tonight is going to rule.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I love this time of year. In the past 3 months my Dad, my friend, and I bagged a bighorn sheep, a deer, ducks, geese, chukar, doves, quail, and have been killing the fishing getting abalone, trout, catfish, and two massive yellow tail tunas.

The meat has been fantastic and I swear I feel more energetic lately eating so much wild meat rather than store bought that I think I might go hunting every weekend I possibly can to stock up.

LOL.

As a city boy married to a bow hunting wife there has been a lot to learn. Working in South Jersey, at a manufacturing facility, I know when hunting season is, because of my wife.

So, I am always asked "Do you hunt ?"

"Nope, my wife does"

"Your wife ?!?!?! What do you do ?"

"Tech Support"

While I don't hunt, I have embraced the culture. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought having two huge stand up freezers would be high up "priorities" in my household.

mmm........deer sausage.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
That time of year again. The trout around here is so freaking delicious when the snow starts falling, the colder temps make the meat really firm and flaky. It's like eating pink halibut.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Great year for me tag wise. I filled my deer tag two weeks ago with a decent 3x3 and I leave tomorrow to go Elk hunting. I actually got a bull tag, I'm so stoked.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That time of year again. The trout around here is so freaking delicious when the snow starts falling, the colder temps make the meat really firm and flaky. It's like eating pink halibut.
Few things are better than trout like that. How do you cook it? Sorry if you already posted. I would think that grilled would be awesome. And baking it would be excellent as well.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I love covering it in Italian dressing, onions, and lime juice then putting it in a tin foil pouch and baking it. Grilled and smoked are good as well but cooking trout in a pouch just makes it perfect IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love covering it in Italian dressing, onions, and lime juice then putting it in a tin foil pouch and baking it. Grilled and smoked are good as well but cooking trout in a pouch just makes it perfect IMO.
My Dad used to cook it that way. So very good.

OP
OP
Heucrazy

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Went on my annual 4 day fishing trip a few weeks ago. We killed it. I've eaten more trout and crawfish in the last month than I care to admit. I'm almost craving a Big Mac just to change it up. Almost.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson