Why is Shawn Marion not in the Ring of Honor?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a lot of players that you can say that about -- Barbosa, Dragic, Danny Manning, Grant Hill... doesn't mean they should be in the Ring.
In every respect Marion’s Suns career dwarfs all those guys. Stats, accolades, team success... not even close.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ultimately, I'd be okay with Shawn in the ring, but I'd like to stat get in there first.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cmon none of those guys combined the level of stats, the length of time played for the suns, and the team success with the player in the aggregate the way Marion did.
And none of them also were not as unclutch as Marion was either.

Hey, I don't mind him in the Ring. I think people here are overrating him as far as how good he actually was---regardless of SSOL.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Grant Hill was terrible against the Lakers and Manning never really played in a meaningful series because he was hurt. I would definitely say they were less clutch in the playoffs and far less important in the regular season.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hey, I don't mind him in the Ring. I think people here are overrating him as far as how good he actually was---regardless of SSOL.

Again, Marion has a bigger "clutch" moment than any of those guys.

Marion was a defender, a rebounder and a guy who feasted on scraps. He was the same guy for his entire career... he plays that way in the playoffs and it somehow makes him a choke artist. I don't get it.

When the Suns stupidly traded him they suffered severely. It took another scrapping star (Grant Hill) who was willing to do the dirty work for the Suns to contend again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But he was also the #3 guy, at best. How clutch should a #3 option be? If he was in position to win games and take the final shot for the team then I would hope he'd deliver but that wasn't something that he was called on to do. The closest thing to un-clutch or disappointing about him in the postseason is how he'd get lit up by Dirk when the Suns faced the Mavericks. Why was Marion stuck guarding Dirk in the first place? Because Amare was an awful defender. The Suns best chance at slowing Dirk down was putting a guy 5-6 inches smaller on him and hoping for the best, all while still calling for his defender to be the primary defensive rebounder.

Marion never took the step to be a superstar but he was a great complimentary star. I would say he was a better complimentary star than others in the ROH like Chambers or Majerle. He proved he could be the #3 player on a title team, which is more than Amare could say or Nash, unfortunately. So I don't get how he's "un-clutch".

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Man, I expected a very different tone to this thread. Marion wasn't perfect, and wasn't as eloquent as other fan faves, but he played his ass off for a long time here, and was integral to the Suns being good for a long time. He's definitely worthy of the ROH.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But he was also the #3 guy, at best. How clutch should a #3 option be? If he was in position to win games and take the final shot for the team then I would hope he'd deliver but that wasn't something that he was called on to do. The closest thing to un-clutch or disappointing about him in the postseason is how he'd get lit up by Dirk when the Suns faced the Mavericks. Why was Marion stuck guarding Dirk in the first place? Because Amare was an awful defender. The Suns best chance at slowing Dirk down was putting a guy 5-6 inches smaller on him and hoping for the best, all while still calling for his defender to be the primary defensive rebounder.

Marion never took the step to be a superstar but he was a great complimentary star. I would say he was a better complimentary star than others in the ROH like Chambers or Majerle. He proved he could be the #3 player on a title team, which is more than Amare could say or Nash, unfortunately. So I don't get how he's "un-clutch".
I guess you missed the playoffs when he played here. Come on! I completely understand wanting him in the ROH, 100%. But you have a bad memory if you don’t remember his poor post season performances. There were some epic discussions about it on this very board. Cheese, back me up here. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you missed the playoffs when he played here. Come on! I completely understand wanting him in the ROH, 100%. But you have a bad memory if you don’t remember his poor post season performances. There were some epic discussions about it on this very board. Cheese, back me up here. :)

I remember him not being a difference maker in the playoffs but I didn't expect him to raise the level of play for the team or put the team on his back. He wasn't the sort of player that would win you games in the postseason or entire series. Since he couldn't really create for himself, he couldn't go off for 40+ either like a Joe Johnson or Kelly Oubre type of 3rd option.

Nobody is saying he was flawless, far from it, or even that he was a franchise centerpiece but he was a damn good player to have as part of a contending core. He wasn't Scottie Pippen but he was closer to that than he was a Trevor Ariza type of 3&D role player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw the Suns Facebook page post this, today is Marion's birthday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Definitely happened. Not only that but the countless bitching in post game threads about Marion falling in love with threes.

Marion was not Marion with the first two guys. That’s why I won’t be upset if he never makes it up there. Again not opposed but I am not going to petition for it either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course, I'm biased. I was a big Marion fan for a long time, and then the Kevin Garnett thing happened and it made my respect of him go way down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the point and you know it.

It isn't? It sure seems like you and some others hold Marion responsible for choosing to do what he felt was in his best interests instead of putting his soon to be former employer's interests first. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, that's just the way it reads to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't? It sure seems like you and some others hold Marion responsible for choosing to do what he felt was in his best interests instead of putting his soon to be former employer's interests first. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, that's just the way it reads to me.

It's the way I read it as well. I don't think Marion's career in Phoenix should be graded on him approving a trade.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the way I read it as well. I don't Marion's career in Phoenix should be graded on him approving a trade.

I don't either. We're fans so it's no big surprise that we see it through our own eyes and I can certainly understand fans that are disappointed that he didn't agree to that trade but doing what was right for him shouldn't have a place in the conversation for whether his play here was worthy of team recognition, IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I want a championship. That's it. And I do know that team with Kevin Garnett and not Shawn Marion would have probably won a championship or two back then. If you disagree, then that's fine. I don't think Marion is in the same stratosphere as Garnett. And Marion couldn't handle making big decisions, which led to him vetoing the trade. So yes, I blame Marion a bit for exercising his right to veto, but ultimately taking away a good chance at a championship for Phoenix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you but I want a championship. That's it. And I do know that team with Kevin Garnett and not Shawn Marion would have probably won a championship or two back then. If you disagree, then that's fine. I don't think Marion is in the same stratosphere as Garnett. And Marion couldn't handle making big decisions, which led to him vetoing the trade. So yes, I blame Marion a bit for exercising his right to veto, but ultimately taking away a good chance at a championship for Phoenix.

You're all over the map here and none of it really applies to what I posted. Like I said, I understand those of you that choose to hold it against him but I don't see how it has any bearing whatsoever on whether or not his play as a member of this team warrants inclusion in the ROH. Personally, I'd have had more of a problem with Shawn if he'd demanded a trade, even if it led to us acquiring Garnett, than him exercising his contractual rights. That would have put him in Joe Johnson/Dragic/Dice territory for me, three players I do not view or remember fondly although I give Goran a mini-pass for his second exit.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're all over the map here and none of it really applies to what I posted. Like I said, I understand those of you that choose to hold it against him but I don't see how it has any bearing whatsoever on whether or not his play as a member of this team warrants inclusion in the ROH. Personally, I'd have had more of a problem with Shawn if he'd demanded a trade, even if it led to us acquiring Garnett, than him exercising his contractual rights. That would have put him in Joe Johnson/Goran Dragic/Dice territory for me.
We'll agree to disagree, even with the "all over the map" comment. This isn't even worth discussing anymore.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Don’t separate your shoulder with that reach.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish he'd let the trade go through but I don't blame him at all for not wanting to go play for the Timberwolves. No one wants to play for the Timberwolves.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Players are going to look out for their best interests not the best interests of their team. Do you blame them? (That was rhetorical as I can see that you do.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard