Why is Shawn Marion not in the Ring of Honor?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Top-5 in franchise history in Win Shares, Wins Above Replacement, steals, rebounds, points, minutes, plus/minus and PER. I know there was a little drama with him but he’s been doing Suns podcasts recently and there doesn’t seem to be bad blood. The powers that be need to get this done.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion's value over replacement player ranks him 38th all-time.

The guy is criminally underrated. He doesn't just belong in the Ring of Honor, he is the kind of player that 20 years from now stat geeks will look at and go "How is this dude not in the Hall of Fame?"

But... maybe he will be there by then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top-5 in franchise history in Win Shares, Wins Above Replacement, steals, rebounds, points, minutes, plus/minus and PER. I know there was a little drama with him but he’s been doing Suns podcasts recently and there doesn’t seem to be bad blood. The powers that be need to get this done.

Marion belongs in the Ring of Honor. Maybe the Suns podcasts are a prelude to this happening.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chambers was also a big part of putting this franchise on the map back in the day.

Marion? Nash, Marion and Amare should be in. But I’m not really that upset about the third best player on the team not being in a ring of honor

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Chambers was also a big part of putting this franchise on the map back in the day.

Marion? Nash, Marion and Amare should be in. But I’m not really that upset about the third best player on the team not being in a ring of honor

Nash is already in...

Marion was the second most important player on the team. In fact he led the SSOL era in RAPM and VORP. He played both ways and got largely overlooked because Amare was more exciting.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nash is already in...

Marion was the second most important player on the team. In fact he led the SSOL era in RAPM and VORP. He played both ways and got largely overlooked because Amare was more exciting.

I’m sorry you can throw out whatever nerd stats you want but, Amare was far more important. All NBA 5x and was flat out dominating in the paint.

save me that both sides stuff cause defense was beyond bad on those teams. We had a coach that didn’t stress it at all and I don’t remember Marion shutting anyone down in the playoffs.

he was our Draymond. Right player for the right situation. Put prime Bash or Amare on any team and there stars but Marion on a garbage team and do you even know his name? I mean maybe

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m sorry you can throw out whatever nerd stats you want but, Amare was far more important. All NBA 5x and was flat out dominating in the paint.

save me that both sides stuff cause defense was beyond bad on those teams. We had a coach that didn’t stress it at all and I don’t remember Marion shutting anyone down in the playoffs.

he was our Draymond. Right player for the right situation. Put prime Bash or Amare on any team and there stars but Marion on a garbage team and do you even know his name? I mean maybe

Marion was more important cause unlike Amare he was willing to do the dirty work. There’s no excuse for Amare being such a poor defender and underwhelming rebounder given his gifts. The metrics don’t lie in years they played together in their peak.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most-overrated defender I've ever seen who regularly went tortilla in the biggest games and was a whiny little bitch? Thanks but no thanks on that ring of honor for me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion was more important cause unlike Amare he was willing to do the dirty work. There’s no excuse for Amare being such a poor defender and underwhelming rebounder given his gifts. The metrics don’t lie in years they played together in their peak.

no he wasn’t. He was a really good role player and that’s fine. Amare is giving you 25-30 a night

in no world is Marion more Valuable than Amare

I guess since Steph doesn’t play defense Draymond is more important than him since Draymond is doing the dirty work.

Or you gonna say PJ Tucker is more Valuable than Harden cause Harden doesn’t play defense

lol stop stars are stars

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
no he wasn’t. He was a really good role player and that’s fine. Amare is giving you 25-30 a night

in no world is Marion more Valuable than Amare

I guess since Steph doesn’t play defense Draymond is more important than him since Draymond is doing the dirty work.

Or you gonna say PJ Tucker is more Valuable than Harden cause Harden doesn’t play defense

lol stop stars are stars

Obviously not considering I already stated Nash was more valuable despite his deficiencies. People can call Marion’s defense overrated but without him they’d fall apart. Amare is elite offensively but he’s so one dimensional you can lose him for a season and still make it just a far in the playoffs. It’s not Shawn was a slouch offensively he led the team in points, rebounds, steals, blocks and most impact metrics. But he whined though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lol

Yeah, that's absurd. He might belong in whatever group you'd put Ronnie Lee in but no way in hell should there even be a conversation about Barbosa in the Ring of Honor. You'd have to put up a few hundred players before Leandro's name should even start to enter the discussion.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be great to see Barbosa join the Suns organization in some capacity when he retires but Ring of Honor, no.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously not considering I already stated Nash was more valuable despite his deficiencies. People can call Marion’s defense overrated but without him they’d fall apart. Amare is elite offensively but he’s so one dimensional you can lose him for a season and still make it just a far in the playoffs. It’s not Shawn was a slouch offensively he led the team in points, rebounds, steals, blocks and most impact metrics. But he whined though.

here’s the difference. Could Marion get his own shot? Down 1 with 10 seconds left can I iso Marion? NOPE.

he got his points in transition and put backs. It’s gimmick offense.

Amare was so dominate on offense he could carry you.

I get you have a stance it’s just the wrong one

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here’s the difference. Could Marion get his own shot? Down 1 with 10 seconds left can I iso Marion? NOPE.

he got his points in transition and put backs. It’s gimmick offense.

Amare was so dominate on offense he could carry you.

I get you have a stance it’s just the wrong one

My 2 cents. Marion should be graded on what he could do and that's a lot... offensively, defensively and rebounding.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My 2 cents. Marion should be graded on what he could do and that's a lot.

I’m not knocking Marion that’s not what this is.

like I said he’s our Draymond.

He’s not more important than Nash or Amare. Prime Nash prime Amare are stars. Take away Nash and Amare and what’s Marion? What’s Marion is a half court offense all by himself?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not knocking Marion that’s not what this is.

like I said he’s our Draymond.

He’s not more important than Nash or Amare. Prime Nash prime Amare are stars. Take away Nash and Amare and what’s Marion? What’s Marion is a half court offense all by himself?

I think Marion would have been an All-Star wherever he played. It's not a fluke he was good with the Suns.

If you are grading him on taking a last second shot to win a game, I think that's the wrong standard.

The Suns wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Marion. He was the Suns third pillar or star after Joe Johnson left.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Marion would have been an All-Star wherever he played. It's not a fluke he was good with the Suns.

If you are grading him on taking a last second shot to win a game, I think that's the wrong standard.

The Suns wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Marion. He was the Suns third pillar or star after Joe Johnson left.

Oh my god. dude this whole thing is who’s more important Marion or Amare.

That’s it

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god. dude this whole thing is who’s more important Marion or Amare.

That’s it

I'm not sure why you are looking at it this way. There is room in the Ring of Honor for both players.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are looking at it this way. There is room in the Ring of Honor for both players.
I can't agree that having room in the Ring of Honor is criteria for selection. Marion was a solid contributor at Small Forward.

But Ring of Honor, just as Hall of Fame, should be reserved for the best of all-time.

As I've mentioned in the past, I used to run into Shawn regularly at Yoshi's. I ate in and he was waiting for his take-out order.

Whenever I tried to start a conversation with him, I was lucky to get two mumbled words out of him. In no way could he
have been a team leader. A solid Wing, but not the best of the best as all time Phoenix Sun, in my opinion.

And, I'll throw in here, whoever mentioned Leandro Barbosa, you don't give an all-time award to a jack-of-all-trades but
master of none. A tweener whose only outstanding contribution was occasional instant offense off the bench.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me there is room for Marion in the roh as it seems like it is more about fan favorites than pure greatness. If Thunder Dan is there than The Matrix should be as well. Get rid of kj if you need room he's turned out to be kind of a jerk.