Why is our second best hitter in the 8 spot/

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They haven't been able to because ownership has still been paying for the 2001 championship team. All those salaries were deferred. I believe all the deferred salaries come off the books at the end of this year.

To me, again, the process of spending money is more about keeping the home-grown stars rather than buying a bunch of free agents. If you're that close, go out and get yourself one or two, but don't get yourself in the same position as Colangelo put this team. They lost something like $21 million the year they won it all.
I really can't get myself to be concerned about that. They should be able to afford adding to this roster. I am not saying go all Jim Hendry.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I really can't get myself to be concerned about that. They should be able to afford adding to this roster. I am not saying go all Jim Hendry.

Derek Hall said this morning that they fully intend to be "active" in seeking to add talent.
Big discussion about Wandy, however, that contract is atrocious... We'll see...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I sure can. The D-Backs nearly became the western version of the Royals after that fiasco.

I'm OK with management keeping a tight budget. We don't support this team in numbers at the ticket gate. We'll never be a NY, Chicago or LA team. I'd be more upset if this team really were close to winning it all. They're not. Not even close.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure can. The D-Backs nearly became the western version of the Royals after that fiasco.

I'm OK with management keeping a tight budget. We don't support this team in numbers at the ticket gate. We'll never be a NY, Chicago or LA team. I'd be more upset if this team really were close to winning it all. They're not. Not even close.
They don't have to spend like those. They should be able to spend with the likes of Milwaukee.

I am okay with fans not flocking to see a team with a tight budget play the Houston Astros. First place or not. 2001 was ten years ago, feel free to deal with it, move on, and not go on the cheap.

I mean the Dbacks, not you.

On a side note, I am glad the giant ARIZONA REPUBLIC conflict of interest isn't in center field anymore. ;)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't have to spend like those. They should be able to spend with the likes of Milwaukee.

I am okay with fans not flocking to see a team with a tight budget play the Houston Astros. First place or not. 2001 was ten years ago, feel free to deal with it, move on, and not go on the cheap.

I mean the Dbacks, not you.

On a side note, I am glad the giant ARIZONA REPUBLIC conflict of interest isn't in center field anymore. ;)
mondaynight.gif

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its true. I was much grumpier at the time. I mean a long time ago when I lived there.

When I posted that, it was mostly to bug Mattself. :)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, been a long day and I'm hungry... still not getting the conflict thingy....

The Republic made like $100 million on the sale of the property to the stadium district to build BOB/Chase Field. They were also a minority owner. For the paper of record covering the team, that was a nasty conflict of interest.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Republic made like $100 million on the sale of the property to the stadium district to build BOB/Chase Field. They were also a minority owner. For the paper of record covering the team, that was a nasty conflict of interest.

Oh yeah, see.