Why I don't want Durant

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ok. This seems the best thread for this conversation. If the Durant deal does not happen, when then?

First. Go for a veteran pg who will chase a ring for cheap. Augustin, Bledsoe, or Shroeder.
Second. Look for a pf that could displace Crowder. I understand that they might let Cam Johnson do that, and if so, they would be looking for a 3 or 4. Bazemore would be a nice pick up if we could somehow swing it. Of course Abdel Nader is still available.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok. This seems the best thread for this conversation. If the Durant deal does not happen, when then?

First. Go for a veteran pg who will chase a ring for cheap. Augustin, Bledsoe, or Shroeder.
Second. Look for a pf that could displace Crowder. I understand that they might let Cam Johnson do that, and if so, they would be looking for a 3 or 4. Bazemore would be a nice pick up if we could somehow swing it. Of course Abdel Nader is still available.
Unfortunately, none of that moves the needle closer to a title.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Eric Gordon and Kyle Kuzma if they want more the shot creator types that won’t cost an arm/leg.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric Gordon and Kyle Kuzma if they want more the shot creator types that won’t cost an arm/leg.
Getting those two guys would be great pickups to add to our depth/bench.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If we add Kuz/Gordon, I'd like our roster even better than last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a team game.

Who did Iverson have with him in his prime? Theo Ratliff and Eric Snow? Going up against prime Kobe and Shaq

Same with Barkley. One hall of famer going up against 2 usually isn’t going to go well
He had dikembe. But the pairing still pales in comparison to the lakers talent.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kuzma is a starting 4 but he’s only got a year left on his contract. I thought he was on a longer deal.

He has this coming season under contract and a player option for the following season. I wonder what he'd cost.

Washington has a few other guys they'd probably prefer to get minutes at forward like Rui Hachimura. Deni Avdija, Corey Kispert, and Porzingis. They also just acquired Will Barton who will see some SF minutes. Getting something for Kuzma would free up playing time and get them something before he leaves. I doubt he'd stay in Washington since they're a lotto team and they're not due to have cap space anytime soon unless Porzingis opts out, which isn't likely.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The last step is the hardest.
the last step happens mid-season when there's more teams giving up on their season, and/or rebuilding and willing to move a star player for our first round picks and parts

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the last step happens mid-season when there's more teams giving up on their season, and/or rebuilding and willing to move a star player for our first round picks and parts
Maybe they can trade for Torrey Craig again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably more like three strikes and you are out.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kuzma is a starting 4 but he’s only got a year left on his contract. I thought he was on a longer deal.
Kuzma would be a good fit if we lost Cam. I'd rather keep Cam for a small PF and go after a bigger PF to help DA. You know...someone who has actually played PF in college.
Unless we get Durant then I'm fine with him being PF next to DA.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Re-reading this thread.

What jumps out at me is, prior to Ishbia taking over, this board was quite confident that Jones would not part with both Bridges and Johnson in a Durant deal. And I think the board was right. Jones knew that that would be an overpayment, but the Nets held firm, and that's why the trade didn't happen. When Ishbia came in and forced the action, Jones had to make a trade that he'd already spent a year deciding he was unwilling to make. And we all knew it, except we forgot.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re-reading this thread.

What jumps out at me is, prior to Ishbia taking over, this board was quite confident that Jones would not part with both Bridges and Johnson in a Durant deal. And I think the board was right. Jones knew that that would be an overpayment, but the Nets held firm, and that's why the trade didn't happen. When Ishbia came in and forced the action, Jones had to make a trade that he'd already spent a year deciding he was unwilling to make. And we all knew it, except we forgot.
Don’t think anyone forgot, the fact was you weren’t getting Durant for Cam and some picks lol. KD is still at his age a top 10 player better and more reliable even with his injury history than Cam or Bridges will EVER be period! You had a chance to get him and it was still the right decision. Everything looks like hell right now but KD isn’t the reason, him and Book are doing what they do it’s everyone else that’s not holding up their end from players to coaches!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t think anyone forgot, the fact was you weren’t getting Durant for Cam and some picks lol. KD is still at his age a top 10 player better and more reliable even with his injury history than Cam or Bridges will EVER be period! You had a chance to get him and it was still the right decision. Everything looks like hell right now but KD isn’t the reason, him and Book are doing what they do it’s everyone else that’s not holding up their end from players to coaches!

Even ignoring the gargantuan draft assets we gave up, we'd be a better team with Cam and Bridges than Durant, right now. Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of it's parts.

We gutted the depth, we gutted defense, we gutted the chemistry, we gutted the ball movement, we gutted the accountability and leadership, to cap it all off, he has been utter dog crap in the clutch... the area we supposedly needed fixing the most.

Maybe something drastic will change, but this team is clearly a far far worse team than it has been in years and the trade for Durant is the reason.

Beyond all that... he's 35... thirty freaking five years old... and he is constantly injured. He hasn't even had his annual injury yet and things are this bad.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Even ignoring the gargantuan draft assets we gave up, we'd be a better team with Cam and Bridges than Durant, right now. Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of it's parts.

We gutted the depth, we gutted defense, we gutted the chemistry, we gutted the ball movement, we gutted the accountability and leadership, to cap it all off, he has been utter dog crap in the clutch... the area we supposedly needed fixing the most.

Maybe something drastic will change, but this team is clearly a far far worse team than it has been in years and the trade for Durant is the reason.

Beyond all that... he's 35... thirty freaking five years old... and he is constantly injured. He hasn't even had his annual injury yet and things are this bad.
Everyone keeps forgetting we were struggling WITH Cam and Bridges. This team was going nowhere. There's a reason the franchise looked to KD. Everyone here and in Phoenix is conveniently glossing over the dysfunctionality of the team. CP3 was cooked. People joked about how he didn't have a decent game after his birthday. Ayton was a continual problem for us. They REFUSED to play Crowder even when injuries got so bad we were fielding a team with guys off the street. The Suns were horrible. Heck people actually had hope for the first time when we got KD. The whole valley was on the KD watch. I wish I could go back to how the local news channels stories, and the radio medias broadcasts because this team as it was pre KD was a nightmare. It was just worth watching to see how many Booker was going to score each night. We had problems with our defense then! People were begging for us to bring Crowder back. No one remembers that?? Seriously?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps forgetting we were struggling WITH Cam and Bridges. This team was going nowhere. There's a reason the franchise looked to KD. Everyone here and in Phoenix is conveniently glossing over the dysfunctionality of the team. CP3 was cooked. People joked about how he didn't have a decent game after his birthday. Ayton was a continual problem for us. They REFUSED to play Crowder even when injuries got so bad we were fielding a team with guys off the street. The Suns were horrible. Heck people actually had hope for the first time when we got KD. The whole valley was on the KD watch. I wish I could go back to how the local news channels stories, and the radio medias broadcasts because this team as it was pre KD was a nightmare. It was just worth watching to see how many Booker was going to score each night. We had problems with our defense then! People were begging for us to bring Crowder back. No one remembers that?? Seriously?
Not true. Go back and look at our record "with Cam and Bridges". We were dominant with both of those players. The problem is, Cam was out so much along with several other players and that's when we struggled. And I'm not saying we win it all if we had only kept those two guys but I don't think getting rid of our younger players and much of our draft potential is going to get us there either.

IMO, we tried for a miracle fix and it's not looking good right now. We'd have likely been better off not trying to shortcut the process but I doubt we'd have seen a title short term that way either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. Go back and look at our record "with Cam and Bridges". We were dominant with both of those players. The problem is, Cam was out so much along with several other players and that's when we struggled. And I'm not saying we win it all if we had only kept those two guys but I don't think getting rid of our younger players and much of our draft potential is going to get us there either.

IMO, we tried for a miracle fix and it's not looking good right now. We'd have likely been better off not trying to shortcut the process but I doubt we'd have seen a title short term that way either.
This team had regressed since the finals appearance WITH those players. Neiter situation appears to be the "answer".

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

The record was not the problem. Having guys that were scared to shoot in the playoffs was. The ball with those guys was bouncing around until it came back to Book with a few seconds on the shot clock for him to work his magic. Thus the looking for guys like KD that had no fear of getting theirs. It was not until his last few weeks with us that Bridges came anywhere near to consistently looking for his offense. We kept getting teased with a game here and there. Cam was injured too much in that run, too.

It took Steve Nash getting traded to a team that played him high minutes before he came back to us the player he became. I think the same is true of Bridges. For whatever reason he was afraid of losing games here in PHX. In NJ, he HAS to shoot. There's no one else to fill that gap. There's less worry of losing games there. The pressure is off for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The record was not the problem. Having guys that were scared to shoot in the playoffs was. The ball with those guys was bouncing around until it came back to Book with a few seconds on the shot clock for him to work his magic. Thus the looking for guys like KD that had no fear of getting theirs. It was not until his last few weeks with us that Bridges came anywhere near to consistently looking for his offense. We kept getting teased with a game here and there. Cam was injured too much in that run, too.

It took Steve Nash getting traded to a team that played him high minutes before he came back to us the player he became. I think the same is true of Bridges. For whatever reason he was afraid of losing games here in PHX. In NJ, he HAS to shoot. There's no one else to fill that gap. There's less worry of losing games there. The pressure is off for him.
Again, I disagree. Bridges didn't morph into a superstar in Brooklyn. He's a very good two way player but he's no Durant, whether in Phoenix or not. He is the ultimate team player and if you're relying on him to be the primary scorer every night I just don't think he has that in him. But with a healthy roster around him he was exactly what we needed. If Brooklyn tries to make him the alpha dog, I think he'll disappoint them.

And there was no mystery with Nash. We were loaded with PGs and he didn't want to be a shooting guard. He would have eventually ended up at the point even in PHX IMO but we were able to add a couple players including the pick that became Marion so we moved him to a team that needed a PG.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team had regressed since the finals appearance WITH those players. Neiter situation appears to be the "answer".
This team (with those players) was never healthy following the finals appearance, not even close. This roster appears to need several upgrades to have a real chance at winning it all. That roster probably needed an upgrade or two also but we had a better chance of making those upgrades.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose