Why do you care?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sine
BTW ASU's season tickets dropped by 10,000-15,000 the year the Cards showed up. I doubt ASU was thrilled to have the cards.

Umm...hello?

How old are you?

Were you there then?

I was.

ASU attendance dropped off (not sure if 10k-15k is accurate thouh) after a lackluster follow-up season to the ROSE BOWL season of 86-87. In 87-88, they went 7-4-1 and Cooper took off for Ohio St. In 88-89, Marmie's Army won 6 games. Yet, in your mind ASU attendance only dropped because the Cards came to town? Get real. ASU's attendance has always gone the way of the team's record. If they're good - fans show up...eventually. If they stink, or struggle - fans stay away. It was like that way before the Cards came to town.

Also - please post a link to those figures, since you brought them into this. I'd be interested in looking them over. I might have to break out my game programs from that era and check it myself.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here. Does everyone know the difference between suing and an arbitration hearing? The Cards have not sued ASU!!! Because of the arbitration clause in their contractural agreement, they went to arbitration to settle a dispute. This is done all the time. The Cards won the arbitration case and now are waiting for the disposition in the case which may or may not award a monetary sum and damages if applicable. If the arbitrater gives the Cards a sum of money that ASU disagrees with than ASU can go to court to try and get that overturned. If they don't do that and just decide not to pay it, the Cards can go to court to get a judgement against ASU (and they will surely get it because they won the hearing) and force ASU into paying. <p>The whole point of this post is the fact that this case is not in court at the present time and nobody has sued anybody else. We haven't gotten to that point yet, but it suits ASU to disseminate unreliable information so they can try their case in public. They know they are going to lose in a court of law, so go to the court of public opinion to try and force the Cards into a favorable settlement. This sure is a good example for all the young future attorneys in the ASU law program isn't it? Never mind the legal or moral aspects of a case, just lie, cheat, and steal to get a verdict to go in your favor. No wonder we have so many ambulance chasers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sine
I never used the "they suck argument". I only care about my teams finances if they affect the on field performance. I could be wrong about this affecting the cards on the field, but I doubt it. By the time they get any money they will be in the new stadium and revenue streams are not suppose to be an issue. So it likley is just icing on the cake.

ASU fans feel this lawsuit could affect there teams performance. That is why they are upset and emotional. They are tired of being smacked for underacheiving and finally felt the program was moving forward. So they are panicing at the thought that we may be abck in the financial doghouse.

It's one thing to attack beligerent ASU fans, its another to come at ASU with such venom. If you want to bash Smith for going public so be it. He did what he felt he had to do. The same way the Cards did what they felt they had to do. Both have to deal with the criticism and backlash. But some are implying that
ASU is immoral or was out to cheat them. That is not fair.

Just as The Cards feel they had a legal right to money earned, ASU may have felt they had a legal right to not go on without the Cards. Whether its a legitimate misunderstanding of the intent of the deal or one them is trying to take advantage of a bad contract I don't care. I do not have enough info to make a educated decision.

That said, I feel that the cards made a horrible decision. They opened themselves up to ridicule. They are suing a public entity after the same public gave them a big fat new home. This is not even close to a disagreement over a construction contract. Like I said earlier it is not just that they are suing to get part of the money ASU received for the deal. They want damges for revenue lost. That is laughable. ASU's attendance is twice as much and the stadium recives far more television exposure from ASU. That is my problem, they sound ungrateful. Fiesta Bowl has even had prblems with these guys. Perhaps the Cards are right but ask for part of the revenue ASU recieved, no more ..no less.

BTW ASU's season tickets dropped by 10,000-15,000 the year the Cards showed up. I doubt ASU was thrilled to have the cards.

are you an attorney? do you understand the full realm of compensatory damages? if you did you would not make such utterly ridiculous statements. i can't argue with you. your only argument in response to my construction contract example is "this is not a construction contract case" - laughable. enjoy your myopia.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PHXSPORTS4LIFE
are you an attorney? do you understand the full realm of compensatory damages? if you did you would not make such utterly ridiculous statements. i can't argue with you. your only argument in response to my construction contract example is "this is not a construction contract case" - laughable. enjoy your myopia.
<p>PHXSPORTS4LIFE---As a person who has worked in the construction industry and been involved in many arbitration cases, I agree with you completely. Case in point----- In the past, we were involved in a project with Scottsdale CC. The GC went broke and we had to go to arbitration with the college and bonding company to get our money. We won, collected our funds and there was not even one blurb in the local paper either before, during, or after the decision. ASU taking this public shows a complete lack of ethics on their part.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Originally posted by 40yearfan
<p>Yeah---I'll bet as an attorney, you don't hear those words very often:D

actually, i'm now a transactional attorney - ERISA stuff (employee benefits) - so more often than anything else i hear, "i have no idea what you just said, just get it done. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
Capital Card: That "BLUE" comment made me laugh out loud. I don't know why but I thought it was funny. I'm sure you remember the boxer who was knocked down during a fight and the ref asked how many fingers did he see and he said, "Cleveland". LOL:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard