Why did Bobby Valentine talk about Kirk Gibson?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
'Saw this on AzCentral.com/AzRepublic today. I wonder why Bobby Valentine, while defending charges that his players don't get along with him, included Kirk Gibson and Jim Leyland in that same category.

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine suggested Thursday that Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson's players dislike him, and Gibson on Friday refused to address the remarks...

Valentine said, "Why don't we hear about Kirk Gibson and how many of the players don't like him or about Jim Leyland and who's upset with Jim Leyland's pitching moves?"

If there is no truth to it, there is nothing to worry about. If there is some truth to it, there should be concern.

As you know, I have been wondering how the position players have reacted in private about not knowing what their role is each game until they arrive at the ballpark. I know I would not be comfortable with it.

Bobby Valentine referring to Gibson may have opened the door to possible unrest.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...estone-justin-upton-hits-th-career-homer.html

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I loved Gibson's response: "I'm not really a guy for words," Gibson said. "In fact, when I was a young kid, there were ramifications from my dad for talking trash about other people. He always encouraged me to go out and play and try to beat somebody fair and square. All these things that people say, I could give a (expletive). That doesn't affect my day at all."

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
I loved Gibson's response: "I'm not really a guy for words," Gibson said. "In fact, when I was a young kid, there were ramifications from my dad for talking trash about other people. He always encouraged me to go out and play and try to beat somebody fair and square. All these things that people say, I could give a (expletive). That doesn't affect my day at all."
[/QUOTE

That is why I love Gibby. No nonsense guy. If he lost the clubhouse it speaks more of the character of guys in the locker room, than the types of lineups he runs out there.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Really Bobby Valentine is this the guy I would trust with anything that comes out of his mouth? King of douche IMO throw others under the bus to make yourself look OK good job.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
CardEd said:
If he lost the clubhouse it speaks more of the character of guys in the locker room, than the types of lineups he runs out there.
Who knows if Valentine was running others under the bus to cover his problems in Boston or if something is brewing in D'back Land.

But addressing your thought about it speaking more of the character of guys in the locker room, if a manager indeed loses the clubhouse, it is going to affect how much he can motivate his players. And that will affect his job!

In any event, Bobby Valentine made it a topic of public conversation. Time will tell how it plays out.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was his source Mark Reynolds?

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Right from the horse's mouth

I guess I won't have to be so vocal about our indecisive Manager and his players coming to the park each day not knowing their role. And probably not being happy with it.

And reading that a fellow Manager has cited him and one other, charging that their players don't get along with them.

And reading that one of our posters has referred to it as having "lost the clubhouse". The beginning of the end for a Manager.

I found a better source. The local Press who covers the Manager all season long. They certainly know more about what goes on behind the scenes than we do. Here is the quote.
Nick Piecoro--AzRepublic/AzCentral.com said:
There are few questions manager Kirk Gibson seems to dislike more than those about a player's anticipated role. And so Gibson was expectedly evasive when asked how he expects to use Albers.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...rbin-plays-well-could-keep-rotation-spot.html

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, Breslow got to Boston and started running his mouth? How would Valentine know anything about the DBacks clubhouse, enough to mention it so pointedly?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I won't have to be so vocal about our indecisive Manager and his players coming to the park each day not knowing their role. And probably not being happy with it.

And reading that a fellow Manager has cited him and one other, charging that their players don't get along with them.

And reading that one of our posters has referred to it as having "lost the clubhouse". The beginning of the end for a Manager.

I found a better source. The local Press who covers the Manager all season long. They certainly know more about what goes on behind the scenes than we do. Here is the quote.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...rbin-plays-well-could-keep-rotation-spot.html

Nick's quote is about the media, not his players.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What pitchers in AZ have any right to be upset? Gibby hasn't screwed anyone over, maybe Collmenter? I just don't see it. Bringing Bauer up too early and then taking him out of the rotation? More bs from the idiot Valentine.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What pitchers in AZ have any right to be upset? Gibby hasn't screwed anyone over, maybe Collmenter?
I am curious. I thought when Gibby removed Collmenter from the rotation this time, it was because he liked him better in long relief.

But I don't think he has been used in long relief once. Gibby has been using him during the last third of games. And he has been a disappointment so far.

Has anyone seen an explanation?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious. I thought when Gibby removed Collmenter from the rotation this time, it was because he liked him better in long relief.

But I don't think he has been used in long relief once. Gibby has been using him during the last third of games. And he has been a disappointment so far.

Has anyone seen an explanation?

You're still pissed your guy Chip Hale was not picked as the Diamondbacks manager and Gibson was. Like I told you a while ago, Hale is an a$$ and there are many who don't like him. He probably won't get the chance to be a mlb manager because of his gigantic ego.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You're still pissed your guy Chip Hale was not picked as the Diamondbacks manager and Gibson was. Like I told you a while ago, Hale is an a$$ and there are many who don't like him. He probably won't get the chance to be a mlb manager because of his gigantic ego.
And that's your response to my question about Gibby saying one thing and doing another?

It's not about me, Lefty. :shrug:

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
P.S.

Chip Hale is the Manager who (A) developed the BabyBacks, who advanced to the D'backs en masse and played extremely well for the big club, and (B) despite losing his most talented players during the season, led AAA Tucson to the Minor League championship that same year.

And you discount those managerial accomplishments by saying "there are many who don't like him"? C'mon, now!

If the best manager in the Minor leagues had been promoted to D'backs bench coach rather than the less important position of 3B coach, then promoted to manager, our team would not be an underachieving .500 team during this 2012 season. He has shown us what he can accomplish.

More than the .500 performances of Melvin, Hinch and Gibson.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Gonzo said it!

Well, I'll be . . .

I just heard Gonzo say on the air in St. Louis that the Cards players come to the park knowing their roles and places in the batting order game after game. Specifically he said, "No mysteries."

I wonder how much of what he has said on the air just in the past two games has been said, or will be said, behind closed doors when he puts his D'back Exec hat back on next week. Gonzo, on the air, is being very candid about the team's disappointing approach.

He also said tonight that "the D'backs seem to be waiting for things to happen, rather than making things happen." In other words, swinging for the seats, rather than manufacturing runs.

You go, Gonzo!

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Furthermore . . .

It used to irk me to constantly read Bob Melvin's quotes while he managed the D'backs. Every paragraph included the phrase "a little bit". He was either trying to downplay his failures or didn't recognize the severity of his problems.

Bob Melvin, to this day, is a ".500" manager -- 613-617 .498 over 9 seasons.

Kirk Gibson is also a ".500" manager -- 193-184 .512 over parts of 3 seasons.

And, I'll be damned if he isn't using the same approach as Melvin.

It seems like he's been struggling a little bit," manager Kirk Gibson said. "He pushed it hard in July and August and he's been struggling a little bit. He looked tired to me yesterday, so we'll give him a day off and maybe that will freshen him up a little bit.

Gibby has picked a bad predecessor to follow. Not just with his downplaying problems after they have lingered too long, but with his 130-140 different batting orders per season, just as we saw from Bob Melvin.

It still irks me to see a team with potential -- our team -- hover around .500. It is difficult to expect a 25-man roster to perform better than the limitations of one man -- its manager -- its ".500" manager.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/dia...uel-montero-not-worried-about-collisions.html

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
OK, here I go again, sharing another thought about why I think Kirk Gibson is the major reason for the malaise that had taken over the D'backs.

Tonight, Todd Walsh interviewed Gibby about the start of Adam Eaton. Instead of citing the versatility of the rookie (and Minor League rookie-of-the-year and MVP), he began with, "The league will catch up with him." The manager showed no enthusiasm or pride to the fans.

It reminds me of my crotchety old grandfather. No matter what you did, you couldn't please him. Eventually you say to yourself, "What's the use?" It takes the wind out of your sales.

I would much rather have heard Gibson say something like, "Adam has gotten off to a great start. Good hitting, base running, fielding and throwing. I'm sure the league will make adjustments, just as they did to Paul Goldschmidt, but we're expecting good things from him."

Nope! Just a frown and some negative comments. From a crotchety Manager (who walks like an old grandfather when he walks to the mound) whom you can't please no matter what you do.

I just discovered that Gibby was given a contract extension to 2014. For all the lack of enthusiasm and empty seats in the stands, I don't think we can afford to keep a manager who is such a downer. :(

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I think he is playing it close to the vest, protecting his player. You have to know that Gibson loves his style of play. I am not in a position to tell Gibson what to say. But I can tell from his body language he likes what he sees in Eaton.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Reading the Az Republic can be very confusing!

On Monday, one column states:

Starting Off Strong. Outfielder Adam Eaton appears to have found a home at the top of the batting order. He's been in that spot for the past three series, and he turned in one of his more effective performances Sunday.

Eaton had a single, three walks and scored two runs, which included a dogged effort from first to home off Hill's double in the fourth.

"You have a guy that's disruptive at the top of the order, that's what you want.", Gibson said. It's key to get your guys on in front of your big boys."

In another column, referring to Chris Young:

"We'll see how he feels when he comes in Tuesday.", Gibson said. "Possibly could be ready to go."

I didn't realize Kirk Gibson is running for office, talking out of both sides of his mouth. So is it "a guy that's disruptive at the top of the order, that's what you want."? (Eaton.) Or is it, "We'll see how he feels when he comes in Tuesday. Possible could be ready to go."? (Young.)

Boy that Az Republic is sure difficult to follow! :shrug: