• they're equally bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What? Broken necks are cool.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I tried to at least tie this in to football a little. I checked the Coyotes board because I was curious what people thought about the Bertuzzi hit and it's pretty dead there. The Cards defninitely are the draw here.

Anyway, I'll vote Bertuzzi. That was a ridiculous "play" on his part.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is Arizona, it was 92 degrees here today, we aren't exactly into hockey

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by CT Card Fan
I tried to at least tie this in to football a little. I checked the Coyotes board because I was curious what people thought about the Bertuzzi hit and it's pretty dead there. The Cards defninitely are the draw here.

Anyway, I'll vote Bertuzzi. That was a ridiculous "play" on his part.

What the heck happened? :confused:

OP
OP
C

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Re: Who's the bigger chicken?

Originally posted by AzCards21
What the heck happened? :confused:

Retaliation for a hit earlier in the season. He sucker punched the guy from behind and drove him face first into the ice, WWE bulldog style.

I'm not really a hockey fan myself, but I saw it on Sportscenter. I'd guess some of the local sports broadcasts may have had it as well, since other incidents like that got coverage before.

The guy ended up with a broken neck.

Last edited:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Who's the bigger chicken?

Retaliation for a hit earlier in the season. He sucker punched the guy from behind and drove him face first into the ice, WWE bulldog style.

I'm not really a hockey fan myself, but I saw it on Sportscenter. I'd guess some of the local sports broadcasts may have had it as well, since other incidents like that got coverage before.

Yikes! I bet theres a link to it. I gotta see that.

OP
OP
C

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
This is Arizona, it was 92 degrees here today, we aren't exactly into hockey

Do you have to be? It's not like I'm asking people to comment on the neutral zone trap (that's a real hockey term I think).

Just one of these types of things that seem to be happening more frequently in all sports.

Come to think of it, I should have made Pedro Martinez an option.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wow. It is on ESPN motion.

He punched him in the neck and then drove him into the ice head first.

That guy should go to prison for that. That's like attempted murder.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
They are about to show it on ESPNews (if you have it). If not, I'm sure that they'll show it again on Sportscenter.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avs say Moore hit was pre-meditated

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Derek Morris didn't mince words Monday night.

The Colorado defenceman called Todd Bertuzzi's vicious hit from behind on Avalanche rookie Steve Moore a disgusting, pre-meditated act.

"It was disgusting," an angry Morris said. "There's no other word for that.

"I've never seen anything like that in my seven years of playing hockey (in the NHL)."

Late in the third period of Colorado's convincing 9-2 win, Bertuzzi came up behind Moore, grabbed the back of Avalanche player's sweater and delivered a round-house swing with his gloved right hand that struck Moore's head. Moore fell head first to the ice under the weight of Bertuzzi, who came down on top of him at the 8:41 mark.

A pool of blood formed around Moore's head as he lay motionless on the ice. A stretcher was wheeled out and after a delay of nearly 10 minutes the 25-year-old native of Windsor, Ont., was taken off for medical attention.

Moore was conscious and talking to medical staff when he was wheeled off the ice and then taken to hospital.

Morris compared the attack to one in which former Canuck Donald Brashear was clubbed by a stick-swinging Marty McSorley, who was suspended by the NHL and has not played in the league again.

"The Brashear incident was obviously another thing that was bad but this was pre-meditated," Morris said. "This is the worst thing I've seen."

Bad blood between the two teams had been simmering since Moore's hit on Vancouver captain Markus Naslund during a game Feb. 16 in Denver. That resulted in Naslund suffering a concussion that cost him three games.

Moore wasn't penalized for the hit and the league took no action. That was of little solace at the time to Vancouver coach Marc Crawford, who called Moore's hit "a cheap shot by a young kid on a captain, the leading scorer in the league."

Bertuzzi received a 10-minute match penalty for his hit on the Avalanche centre Monday.

Colorado coach Tony Granato was seen screaming at Crawford and had to be restrained at his team's bench.

Granato said after the game Crawford was responsible for the actions of his team during the fight-filled game that drew 156 minutes in penalties, 99 to Vancouver.

"Three or four times we stood our ground like we had to and that thing happened to put an exclamation point on probably what they were trying to accomplish," said Granato. "Something was said on their side. You just don't go out and start fighting for the fun of it.

"I didn't like the body language," Granato said of the Canuck coaching staff. "I didn't like the way the whole thing transpired. There's no need for that, let's face it."

Morris accused Crawford of laughing about the incident.

"The worst thing about it is their coach is over there laughing about it and that just shows the class of that guy," he said.

Naslund said after the game no player wants to see an opponent injured and that Bertuzzi felt awful about the incident.

"Obviously I think we all feel bad about someone getting hurt," Naslund said. "It's a bad feeling when someone gets seriously injured like that.

"Todd feels awful about it and is very sorry. I know it might not mean much right now. As weird as it seems I don't think that was Todd's intentions."

Bertuzzi, who was suspended 10 games two years ago for coming off the bench to join an on-ice fight, was unavailable for comment after the game.

Canuck forward Brad May, who said earlier there was a bounty on Moore for his hit on Naslund, agreed the game got out of hand.

"This game took a life of its own; it shouldn't have," said May who scored both Vancouver goals. "For two-and-a-half to three weeks there's been a lot of talk.

"Not in both lockerooms. That's all I'm going to say."

Colorado captain Joe Sakic said the incident took away from a solid performance by the Avalanche, who lost 7-1 at home the night before to Calgary.

"It was an ugly incident and it really puts a damper on the whole game," said Sakic who had a goal and three assists. "There's payback but that's not payback. That's going overboard.

"And I'm sure Todd feels bad right now about the result. No player wants to see somebody go down like that."

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Who's the bigger chicken?

I've seen this replay 4-5 times and I gotta say, I think you are exaggerating a bit. "WWE bulldog style"?

Yes, he punched him from behind. It was retaliation for a cheap shot Moore put on Naslund two meetings prior. From watching it repeatedly, it looks like the hit knocked Moore completely out cold, which is why he never used his arms to break his fall.

Bertuzzi just fell on Moore, off-balance. No one got driven face first into the ice. The resulting injury, though terrible, was more or less an accident. No way Bertuzzi intended to fracture the guys vertebrae.

Sorry about the ranting it's just that I listened to Jim Rhome's ranting on this a little while ago and from listening to him you'd think Bertuzzi had gone berserk and tried to kill him.

It was one sucker-punch that had very bad consequences.

BTW- does anyone remember the name of the Green Bay Packer that body slammed Jim McMahon into the ground?

That was much more of a cheap shot IMHO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's the bigger chicken?

Originally posted by HarleyRider

Yes, he punched him from behind. It was retaliation for a cheap shot Moore put on Naslund two meetings prior. From watching it repeatedly, it looks like the hit knocked Moore completely out cold, which is why he never used his arms to break his fall.

Bertuzzi just fell on Moore, off-balance. No one got driven face first into the ice. The resulting injury, though terrible, was more or less an accident. No way Bertuzzi intended to fracture the guys vertebrae.

Sorry but when you punch a guy in the neck from behind its no "accident", regardless of what the injuries are. Simply put it was a punk move and any injuries that occured were all a consequence from that initial punk hit so all injuries are on this guys head.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was one sucker-punch that had very bad consequences.

That's the worst part of the whole deal. It was a hit from behind with the guy having zero chance of defending himself. I can't think of a football hit that was as cowardly as that one.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BTW- does anyone remember the name of the Green Bay Packer that body slammed Jim McMahon into the ground?

That was much more of a cheap shot IMHO.

Charles Martin?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Put it this way, was Sapp's hit on Clifton within the allowed parameters of the game.......yes.

Was Bertuzzi's........no.

Bertuzzi won't see the ice for at least a year.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing. Bertuzzi hit the guy in the head AGAIN after he had already fallen to the ice.

I know Bertuzzi didn't MEAN to hurt him that bad, but that's what sometimes happens. Actions sometimes have terrible consequences. Think before you act.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Another thing. Steve Moore is a 6'1", 210 lb. center. Bertuzzi is 6'5", and weighs 245 lbs. Bertuzzi wants to hit Moore, fine! He wants to sucker punch him, that's gutless but I guess so is Bertuzzi, so fine...give him his two penalty, no biggie. But to then jump on the guy's back and ride him to the ice is beyond gutless.

Another thing. The hit Moore put on Naslund back in Feb. that started this whole thing, wasn't really a bad hit. Maybe a bit late, but it was a split-second, bang bang play. Naslund carried the puck over the blue line, and Moore was charging at him to check him. Naslund leaned forward (so his head was near hip level) and had just gotten rid of the puck when Moore got to him and Moore's hip hit Naslund's jaw. Unfortunatly, Naslund ended up with a concussion.

Having played the game for 16 years, I can honestly say that it would have been extremely difficult for Moore to avoid his check on Naslund. And knowing Naslund's skill level, I most certainly would have finished my check in that situation too...and if the ref thought it was late, I'd take my two minutes. Bertuzzi's act was ludicrous and sh*t like that has no place in hockey. Whatever Colorado has in store for him upon his return won't be enough. I hope the NHL sits him down for the rest of this season (playoffs included) and most of the next...whenever that may be.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's the bigger chicken?

Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
Charles Martin?
Yup. That "hit" effectively ended McMahon's career. Sure, he played for some years after it, but he was never the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard