Who would you like to coach the Suns next season?

Who would you like to coach the Suns next season?

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am watching this team, and I marvel that we do not start EVERY offensive posession with a touch by Ayton in the low post. A coach is supposed to use his assets to his best advantage. Also, on defense, obviously our strength is playing the passing lanes for steals, and hustle defense. Whatever needs to make that more consistent is a priority. Either Igor doesn't have the horses, or is not getting them to follow his system, or his system is not working in the NBA. I know succesful teams have continuity with coaches. I just don't think we found the right one.

totally agree. I hate when the continuity thing is brought up... while ignoring continuity happens when there's success... not downright putridity.

My biggest issue with Igor is his complete and utter inability to adjust... to seemingly anything this season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
totally agree. I hate when the continuity thing is brought up... while ignoring continuity happens when there's success... not downright putridity.

My biggest issue with Igor is his complete and utter inability to adjust... to seemingly anything this season.
I agree, especially when it comes to Ayton. We’ve seen several games where he puts together a quarter or two of domination, but never the whole game. I think part of that, in fact a BIG part, is coAching.

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Luke Walton and other coaches lose their jobs before Igor at seasons end -- shameful!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Stay with Kokoskov. How about a little continuity for a change?
When you disappoint for a decade, continuity is not a good thing. Hey, let's keep losing. :(

The old . . . doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
When you disappoint for a decade, continuity is not a good thing. Hey, let's keep losing. :(

The old . . . doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Kokoskov has been head coach for one year. Not 10. Doing the same thing over and over again would be firing him. So, you've got it backward.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Kokoskov has been head coach for one year. Not 10. Doing the same thing over and over again would be firing him. So, you've got it backward.
Not when you assess his passive personality (which does not fit a young team) and the lack of X's & O's skill he demonstrated and not developing his young players.

In the NBA, Igor has been a lifer assistant. He did not earn a promotion to be the top guy on the court.

Especially when he had to excel despite dealing with a meddling, ignorant owner and a bunch of rookie part-time GM's.

In general, your comment would be valid, but not when putting him in the job in the first place was a mistake -- as we've seen.

The mistake needs to be undone.

The problem is that, when the guy in charge (Sarver) promotes his #1 go-fer (Jones), despite bringing in an experienced GM (who is not shy of working his job),
nothing is going to be undone. Nothing is going to change. The status quo of the Suns will continue. It is what it is. Sadly! Without a change at the top.

If you buy a used vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon, then realize that you're stuck commuting 100 miles a day, do you feel compelled to not make a change?

I don't think so!

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the only continuity we need to know is:
*13 years of assistant coaching without a head coaching consideration from any of his prior teams
*losing 9 of every 10 Suns' games he coached for 82 games (more than last year's last place team despite having more talent)

hey, could an insider hook me up with a paying gig working social media for the Suns too -- i promise to go with the "continuity" spin

... and promoting Jones is "a good move" too

oh, and Larry Fitzgerald

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If we could snag Monte Williams then I would be all for it, otherwise I think Igor should get one more year (not because he deserves it, just because we could use some continuity and I’m not super high on any of the other available coaches).

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Not when you assess his passive personality (which does not fit a young team) and the lack of X's & O's skill he demonstrated and not developing his young players.

In the NBA, Igor has been a lifer assistant. He did not earn a promotion to be the top guy on the court.

Especially when he had to excel despite dealing with a meddling, ignorant owner and a bunch of rookie part-time GM's.

In general, your comment would be valid, but not when putting him in the job in the first place was a mistake -- as we've seen.

The mistake needs to be undone.

The problem is that, when the guy in charge (Sarver) promotes his #1 go-fer (Jones), despite bringing in an experienced GM (who is not shy of working his job),
nothing is going to be undone. Nothing is going to change. The status quo of the Suns will continue. It is what it is. Sadly! Without a change at the top.

If you buy a used vehicle that gets 15 miles to the gallon, then realize that you're stuck commuting 100 miles a day, do you feel compelled to not make a change?

I don't think so!
Why even bother watching?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why even bother watching?

Now that Jerry is no longer affiliated with the 76ers, I wonder if he is using his influence
with the League to do something. After all, Sarver was his choice.

I don't expect Jerry to get involved directly with the Suns as he approached 80.

But it would be nice if he is speaking up behind the scenes.

Your question will be answered if we go into next season WITHOUT an experienced Point Guard
to take pressure off Booker and a real Power Forward to do the same for Ayton. Two moves
(or lack of them) will affect four positions.

Then, if we can come up with a Head Coach who can develop that team, it could be fun to watch.

If not, even with PF and PG moves, a little better than tolerable. With neither, where's the remote?

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if Sarver doesn't want to pay for a replacement, how about a life-size cardboard cut-out of Igor with his hands on his hips on the sidelines?

it will cost even less,
it will appease those who want some kind of "continuity"
and it won't step onto the court and get a T with the Suns ahead with seconds to go

and it will probably inspire the Suns to more than 19 wins next season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
if Sarver doesn't want to pay for a replacement, how about a life-size cardboard cut-out of Igor with his hands on his hips on the sidelines?

it will cost even less,
it will appease those who want some kind of "continuity"
and it won't step onto the court and get a T with the Suns ahead with seconds to go

and it will probably inspire the Suns to more than 19 wins next season
Plus it still won't get a T defending his players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only continuity we need to know is:
*13 years of assistant coaching without a head coaching consideration from any of his prior teams
*losing 9 of every 10 Suns' games he coached for 82 games (more than last year's last place team despite having more talent)

hey, could an insider hook me up with a paying gig working social media for the Suns too -- i promise to go with the "continuity" spin

... and promoting Jones is "a good move" too

oh, and Larry Fitzgerald

He wasn't an assistant for 13 years, he didn't lose 9 of every 10 games, and based on how wrong you are when it comes to verifiable facts there isn't a chance in hell you'll be hired to be anyone's social media director. Why don't you tell us all again how horrible Larry Bird was as a coach?

This is all stuff that is easy to look up and based on how you didn't look anything up to spew out falsities here I doubt you know whether Igor was considered for a head coaching job elsewhere. Being an assistant coach doesn't mean that person was actively seeking head coaching positions during that entire time. You don't know when he decided to start throwing his hat in the ring for head coaching jobs or what head coaches he tried to get.

Basic math can tell you that 19-63 does not mean a team lost 9 of every 10 games. Can you count, serious question? I can help try to explain how you can figure that out accurately but I need to know where to start.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He wasn't an assistant for 13 years, he didn't lose 9 of every 10 games, and based on how wrong you are when it comes to verifiable facts there isn't a chance in hell you'll be hired to be anyone's social media director. Why don't you tell us all again how horrible Larry Bird was as a coach?

This is all stuff that is easy to look up and based on how you didn't look anything up to spew out falsities here I doubt you know whether Igor was considered for a head coaching job elsewhere. Being an assistant coach doesn't mean that person was actively seeking head coaching positions during that entire time. You don't know when he decided to start throwing his hat in the ring for head coaching jobs or what head coaches he tried to get.

Basic math can tell you that 19-63 does not mean a team lost 9 of every 10 games. Can you count, serious question? I can help try to explain how you can figure that out accurately but I need to know where to start.

Because we should all aspire to a 2-7 record every 9 games, since it's so much better than 1-9...

:rolleyes:

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL, you do the math on his winning percentage and look up how many years he's been an assistant and tell me if it makes a rat's a$$ of a difference

speaking of small numbers, how much can i clear per week for being a social media suck-up?

as for my slight of Larry Bird, i give you a humble apology and the larry bird

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
semi-seriously: does anyone believe the Suns would have won any less games this season if a bag of rocks was on the sidelines in place of Igor?

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Igor Stefan Kokoškov is a Serbian professional basketball coach who is the head coach for the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association. He previously spent 18 years in the league as an assistant coach, with his most recent tenure there being with the Utah Jazz. Wikipedia

sure, it's only wiki so i'm sure they're off, but it took a second and that's all the time i have to accommodate you and your hostile quibling

the day i feel i have to do research for precise facts to back up every one of my sports comments (and fix my punctuation) is the day i smack myself in the head and find another pastime

perhaps we should both, as they say, "get a life"

Last edited:
OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kidd probably would have been a better coach for this team
and he'd have been awful

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yes, Kidd is a mumbler -- not a good communicator off-court (just ask his ex-wife)

you know who was also a better communicator on-court (but tight-lipped off court)?
--Larry Bird ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave