Who will start opening game?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Javier Vazquez is in a DBack uniform he should be the opening day starter. Russ Ortiz is going to be a disaster.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a feeling Vazquez won't be here. I keep reading he wants to be back east.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Ortiz was Atlanta's opening day starter. If he can be the "ace" for a perennial playoff team, he'll expect to be the ace for a team that lost 111 games.

My analysis of Vazquez is that the D-Backs will trade him before the season opens.

There is still the issue of whether he is hurt. He worked for several managers known to abuse arms - Robinson, Torborg, Alou. He was severely overworked through 200 plus innings a year at a young age.

He had a significant drop off after the all-star break, which smacks of arm injury. Plus there were stories he wouldn't go to LA for a physical.

If the D-Backs hang onto him and he is hurt, he will be a huge financial drag on the D-Backs. However, if he pitches well, then he will be willing to take the risk of demanding a trade and getting free agency as his value will be good.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Vazquez is healthy and in a DBack uniform, he will be the Opening Day starter. He's easily the most talented pitcher on the staff and can eat up inings, get strikeouts, and not put guys on base.

I also don't see how Russ Ortiz can expect anything, especially to be a #1 over Vazquez. He's on a Sosa-esque statistical decline (even under the tutelage of Leo Mazzone) and is moving into a hitter's park. Those are two key ingredients in a recipe for disaster.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I also don't see how Russ Ortiz can expect anything

Well, he got a lot of hot air blown you know where this off-season, an unreal contract, and my guess is, he believes his own hype.

Who will start opening game? The only answer that comes to mind is - who cares?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn