Who will be the Suns new Head Coach?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
They flame out in March because he plays a very rigid style that demands a slow paced grind of a game. If they're forced to come from behind they fall apart. I do not see his coaching style being successful in the modern NBA. Steve compared him perfectly, he is the NCAA's Mike Fratello.

They’re definitely boring af to watch but I would be interested to see him with some offensive talent.

Wright is the clear #1. Nova winning it all would increase the chance he leaves IMO. Nothing left to prove in college.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for Jay Wright to come here, but I have no idea why a coach at the upper echelon of college basketball would want to come to what likely looks like a dumpster fire of a team and organization.

I have to think if he's going to make that switch, he'd want to go more of a sure thing... or at least surer-thing.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Suns GM Ryan McDonough on the @BurnsAndGambo show regarding the Suns' search for a new head coach: "The finances are not going to be a determining factor."
I'm guessing he is saying that they will pay whatever they need to get who they want? If that is the case then I feel much more confident in us getting a good coach.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'd love for Jay Wright to come here, but I have no idea why a coach at the upper echelon of college basketball would want to come to what likely looks like a dumpster fire of a team and organization.

I have to think if he's going to make that switch, he'd want to go more of a sure thing... or at least surer-thing.
Money could easily be a determining factor. If the Suns are willing to pay enough than there are guys that will likely take the chance. For instance Jay Wright is currently making $2.5m salary with Villanova. If the Suns were willing to offer something in the realm of $6-7m I could see the possibility. That would put our coach next year in the top half of the league as far as head coach salary is concerned.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I dont think Mark Jackson would be like Earl Watson. He did have a young Warriors team in the playoffs and they had/have solid defense. At this point, even an average coach is an upgrade.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think Mark Jackson would be like Earl Watson. He did have a young Warriors team in the playoffs and they had/have solid defense. At this point, even an average coach is an upgrade.

There are some good reads about Jackson's tenure in Golden State and especially his exit.

I want him no where near this franchise.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Jackson is more of a preacher/pastor than he is a coach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't believe we can afford to think like this.

As for Jackson, the more you know about his tenure with the Warriors, the less appealing he becomes. Not if he were the only candidate!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe we can afford to think like this.

As for Jackson, the more you know about his tenure with the Warriors, the less appealing he becomes. Not if he were the only candidate!
The Warriors got WAY better as soon as Jackson left. We can do better.

Good Guy

Reaction score
I think Triano has shown us what he is this year. He is a very good assistant coach. That is his level. That is where he is truly comfortable. He makes progress with individual players. He is good at challenging them personally.

He is not good as an overall scheme guy. He is not good with an overall offense or defense. His game management is ok. I have not seen big complaints about that. He calls timeouts when he should. He runs rotations reasonably. He pulls guys when they need it.
I really hope that in two years or so we all look back at this Triano year as being critical in the development of these players. I can't remember if it was McDonough or Triano that basically said right after Watson was fired that the players needed to be re-trained to play professional basketball. I've viewed this entire season as an effort to re-train all these young guys at the expense of plays/schemes/winning in general and hope that it pays off when the Suns hire Fizdale or Wright.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really hope that in two years or so we all look back at this Triano year as being critical in the development of these players. I can't remember if it was McDonough or Triano that basically said right after Watson was fired that the players needed to be re-trained to play professional basketball. I've viewed this entire season as an effort to re-train all these young guys at the expense of plays/schemes/winning in general and hope that it pays off when the Suns hire Fizdale or Wright.
Then he has failed spectacularly. Bender and Chriss are no better now then they were before the season started--Chriss is arguably WORSE.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen