Who will ASU's next Basketball Coach be?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I like conversing with you, but seriously, I have never gone on an U of A thread and told them who they should hire or not hire. In any sport. Just sayin'. It must be something about the water they drank in North Nogales. :)

Understandable; although I welcome your dialogue in the UofA forums.

Fortunately, we're fine with both our FB and hoops coaches ;).

BTW - we drank Corona in Nogy, not water. :p

TJ

Reaction score
What concerns me about Capel is after OU he went back to Duke for 4 years. In that time plenty of jobs became available and his name was never brought up. Why?

The recruiting infractions scared off potential employers. Capel's name is coming up now because the dust has somewhat settled.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Last edited:

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Capel withdrawals from consideration per Gary Parrish. Sucks for ASU, waiting on Capel when they could have been focused on more candidates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capel withdrawals from consideration per Gary Parrish. Sucks for ASU, waiting on Capel when they could have been focused on more candidates.

Typical Duke boorishness.

I am glad though - never liked him as a candidate.

And despite what the buffoon Gambo says, Lavin would be a great hire.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Capel, Lavin, Pastner. All hype and talk and no substance. Those three have been at the helm of some of most undisciplined basketball teams of the last 15 years. Go get an up and comer.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
It'll be someone of the caliber of Menzies at NMSU that ASU will eventually land I'd bet.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bruce Cooper speculates money could have been the reason for the withdrawal. Makes sense since Capel seemed really interested a week ago.

Capel, Lavin, Pastner. All hype and talk and no substance. Those three have been at the helm of some of most undisciplined basketball teams of the last 15 years. Go get an up and comer.
Who? Only name I can think of is Russell Turner who turned down George Mason and is being pursued by VCU.

It'll be someone of the caliber of Menzies at NMSU that ASU will eventually land I'd bet.
Cooper on 12 Sports mentioned Scott Pera, former ASU assistant coach who helped land Harden for Sendek.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Bruce Cooper speculates money could have been the reason for the withdrawal. Makes sense since Capel seemed really interested a week ago.

Who? Only name I can think of is Russell Turner who turned down George Mason and is being pursued by VCU.

Cooper on 12 Sports mentioned Scott Pera, former ASU assistant coach who helped land Harden for Sendek.

Reports are ASU is only willing to pony up $2mil/season for its new coach. Considering a guy like Avery Johnson got $3 mil/season from Alabama last week, that kind of reveals the going rate for unproven college head coaches.

I still don't think Russell Turner is an option.

Bobby Hurley is an interesting name. He only makes $550k/season at Buffalo, is a recognizable name, and has had some early success.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scott Pera was Harden's HS coach, he basically road Harden's coattails into the college game and has since bounced around as an assistant in some lousy programs. I cannot imagine they'd hire him. It would be comically bad.

I think Lavin would be a good get. The ceiling of a Steve Lavin program might not be what people are hoping for but he could significantly raise the school's profile. I think he is the most sure bet if ASU is hoping for a guy who makes the tourny more often than not and moves them up a rung on the recruiting ladder.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Bobby Hurley is an interesting name. He only makes $550k/season at Buffalo, is a recognizable name, and has had some early success.

I'd be very excited by Hurley. Though I do wonder if he wants to come out West, he's been an East Coast guy his whole life.

I think Lavin would be a good get. The ceiling of a Steve Lavin program might not be what people are hoping for but he could significantly raise the school's profile. I think he is the most sure bet if ASU is hoping for a guy who makes the tourny more often than not and moves them up a rung on the recruiting ladder.

I'd be much less excited about Lavin. He seems like the ultimate backup/settling sort of option. I guess it wouldn't be awful, but he'd be far from a home run hire either.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Sounds like Menzies is a guy that can work a room of AAU coaches but rubbing shoulders with boosters would not be his thing. Not sure what ASU wants from their coach in that regard but Menzies wouldn't be the guy. That would be a Lavin or Pastner although those guys leave a lot to be desired when it comes to running teams.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rumor on UCLA boards is UCLA assistant David Grace is campaigning for the ASU job.

Menzies is a recruiter, he is one of those guys with tons of AAU connections, more that than a coach.

Grace no idea, he was supposed to be a good recruiter, he's done ok so far but he's clearly wanting to move up and frankly even if he doesn't get the ASU job, he might find himself looking for another job. Last year he did the same thing with the OSU job.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would you if his name was Bobby Smith? No idea why Turner or Leon Rice don't seem to be in the mix. Seems like they're trying to sell tickets not win games

This and bring in talent (recruiting)....UC Irvine & Boise State aren't known for luring top basketball recruits.

TJ

Reaction score
Hurley's name alone gets ASU into homes it probably has never been able to get into. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

Would be better than Capel, IMO.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hurley's name alone gets ASU into homes it probably has never been able to get into. Beyond that, it's a crapshoot.

Would be better than Capel, IMO.

I agree better than Capel. I personally would go with a guy with more West Coast ties though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson