Who is our speed guy?

spanky1

Reaction score
CardNots said:
What are the 40 times of Mc, Gilmore and Johnson. Who fills this role?

Bryant Johnson's times are 4.40 in the 40 and he ran at 10.58 for the 100 meter (not yards) in track. He is our "burner".

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All three...

Johnson ran a 4.39, McAddley a 4.41 and Gilmore is the fastest player on the team.

Boldin, Fitz, Johnson and McAddley (if healthy) are locks at the first four WR spots IMO.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Interestingly enough Gilmore could be good in this offense if he lined up with Boldin and Fitz he would almost have to get single coverage and just run some deep routes.

He may just now be healthy from breaking his leg when you do that it takes a while to get all the way back to blazing speed since it dosen't take much to make you average in the NFL.

He dosen't impress me so far but I'm not the one cutting him he should worry about Green.

spanky1

Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Interestingly enough Gilmore could be good in this offense if he lined up with Boldin and Fitz he would almost have to get single coverage and just run some deep routes.

He may just now be healthy from breaking his leg when you do that it takes a while to get all the way back to blazing speed since it dosen't take much to make you average in the NFL.

He dosen't impress me so far but I'm not the one cutting him he should worry about Green.

Gilmore, pure and simple, cannot catch the football.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fitzgerald was timed at 4.47 in his private workout. That's not exactly snail-like.

Also - pure straight ahead forty speed is one thing. Explosion to separate from the defender is another. Also, when they're asked to carry full pads, some guys (who were blazing fast in track clothes) don't handle carrying the additional equipment as well as other guys when asked to run.

When you watch tape and see a non-blazer consistently break free, it may be because he's football-fast. (Check Fitzgerald's highlight reel. On some of those catches, he had beaten his man by 10 - 15 yards).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Let's not forget Anquan's ability to go deep either. Yeah, he probably won't outrun the top CBs, but his ability to get free of press coverage as well as his strength to outmuscle DBs for the ball in single coverage make him an interesting option downfield also.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Boldin is a lot like Terrell Owens(in a good way), Owens doesn't have a fast 40 time but he sure made our secondary look slow in 2002 when he outran everyone.

I only saw some highlights of Fitzgerald and they rarely showed him in the open field so I have no idea how he is after the catch--he just caught everything. But I do believe he suffered from a bad QB, in almost every highlight I saw he had to either come back for the ball or make some incredible leap to get it.

Not all teams have a "speed" guy per say but if you have 3 solid WRs what does it matter?

If you are really desperate we could always bring back Martay Jenkins :rolleyes:

(its a joke)

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
BACH said:
All three...

Johnson ran a 4.39, McAddley a 4.41 and Gilmore is the fastest player on the team.

Boldin, Fitz, Johnson and McAddley (if healthy) are locks at the first four WR spots IMO.

I thought that Duane Starks was the fastest on the team with a 4.27.

Check this site out.

http://www.couchscout.com/card.htm

81 BOLDIN Anquan 4.58
86 WILLIAMS Karl 4.49
11 FITZGERALD Larry 4.51
83 JOHNSON Bryant 4.46
80 McADDLEY Jason 4.43
86 GILMORE Bryan 4.38
82 KASPER Kevin 4.41
0 NEWHOUSE Reginald 4.52
19 POOLE Nate 4.58

Don't know where they get the speeds, but they are interesting.

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
How about McCown running a 4.59. He almost as fast as Boldin or Poole.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
How about McCown running a 4.59. He almost as fast as Boldin or Poole.

He is the secret weapon. Shhh.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My thoughts on "speed"

Yes!! It "thrills & kills" BUT give me the guy who can CATCH the ball. Here's a "scenario". Pass by McCown (20-30) yards downfield (Fitz', "Q", "BJ" has it) (1) man to beat. OH, NO!! He's caught from behind (maybe) at the (20). Hel-lo?? We just gained GREAT field position!! ...And a real possibility of scoring the TD on the next few plays. So, YES, speed is nice BUT speed w/NO hands=TOO many dropped passes. With this group of WR's I don't think they'll drop many!! GO CARDS!!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
..I dont know who our speed guy is, but Mckinnley was our weed guy. :D

:biglaugh:

The thing is, how much diference is there really between the 40 times listed?

Scott MS said:
81 BOLDIN Anquan 4.58
86 GILMORE Bryan 4.38

Two-tenths of a second over a 40 yard stretch of field?

Can anyone count that for me?

The important thing to me is real "game" speed! Boldin and Johnson have both shown us that they have it. Gilmore hasn't, because he didn't even catch a cold! Fitzgerald will have it as well.

So, in my humble opinion, we have three speed guys!

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
Yeah the difference is over the course of 2 seconds (a quick drop and release) Gilmore would be about .8 yards ahead of Boldin if both were running straight ahead and had nothing in the way.

That translates to roughly 2.4 feet of "seperation" over the course of that 2 seconds. So on a deep route if we can assume McCown can stay alive in the pocket for 4 seconds that would translate into roughy 5 feet of seperation, which I am estimating is about one "step".

Over 40 yards Boldin would be about 5-5.5 feet behind Gilmore when he crosses the finish line.

Of course number with pads on and being jammed at the line would give us a more accurate comparison between the speeds of the WR's.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Let's not forget Anquan's ability to go deep either. Yeah, he probably won't outrun the top CBs, but his ability to get free of press coverage as well as his strength to outmuscle DBs for the ball in single coverage make him an interesting option downfield also.

that is one of the best qualities of both boldin and fitzgerald: the ability to go up around multiple defenders and get the ball. It reminds me of last year, with Boldin doing it in Seattle, and seeing many of Fitz's highlights. Having two guys with that ability will be awesome.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson