Who do you want to be ASU's next football coach?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's the #1 RB talent in a state that produces top-tier RB's as if they're made on an assembly line in Shreveport... He put up over 2,000 yards and 32 TD's his senior season. And if he doesn't make the cut with regard to behavioral crap, I have no doubt that Herm will not tolerate it for a second and he'll be gone... On the flip-side, there is always the chance that Herm can transform the kid if in fact, there are serious behavioral/character issues...

I wasn’t presuming anything, much less character issues. Just something had to be out there. And it looks like asuprodigy found them: injury and grades. Both of those, in addition being a 3 Star, temper my enthusiasm.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I wasn’t presuming anything, much less character issues. Just something had to be out there. And it looks like asuprodigy found them: injury and grades. Both of those, in addition being a 3 Star, temper my enthusiasm.

I wouldn't even use the phrase "enthusiasm" to describe my take on this commit! All I said was that it wasn't a "bad start for Herm." I am happy the kid is coming to play for Herm... but "enthusiastic" about it?? Not... Now, if the kid blows up and becomes special, while also maturing into a quality young man... Hells YEA!! :koolaid:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wouldn't even use the phrase "enthusiasm" to describe my take on this commit! All I said was that it wasn't a "bad start for Herm." I am happy the kid is coming to play for Herm... but "enthusiastic" about it?? Not... Now, if the kid blows up and becomes special, while also maturing into a quality young man... Hells YEA!! :koolaid:
We can certainly agree on our reaction to that outcome.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Edwards expects to add 10 more players to this draft class.

This sounds promising depending upon the quality of the recruits.

Vince Marrotta referenced a report today that indicated how virtually all of the 5-star recruits were heading to Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Bama and Miami. Not a surprise at all obviously. ASU has never been a target for 4 & 5 star recruits and for this class, given all of the of changes, it's totally unrealistic for us to expect that would change. Herm seems to be locking up a ton of 3 star recruits, which is really what ASU has always been able to do. Next year though, it's right for us to expect that Herm can enhance that story and pick up more 4 star recruits. I just don't see any 5 start recruits coming to Tempe anytime soon...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the additional recruits will be added during the regular signing period.

Because of the inaugural early signing period – which runs Wednesday through Friday – Edwards had just 16 days. In that time, the Sun Devils locked in 11 spots in their 2018 recruiting class, nine having committed under previous coach Todd Graham. They expect to add 10 more during the regular signing period, which starts February 7.

Doug Haller talks about the recruits in an azcentral article plus Edwards time on the road recruiting.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...embling-his-first-recruiting-class/971308001/

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vince Marrotta referenced a report today that indicated how virtually all of the 5-star recruits were heading to Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Bama and Miami. Not a surprise at all obviously. ASU has never been a target for 4 & 5 star recruits and for this class, given all of the of changes, it's totally unrealistic for us to expect that would change. Herm seems to be locking up a ton of 3 star recruits, which is really what ASU has always been able to do. Next year though, it's right for us to expect that Herm can enhance that story and pick up more 4 star recruits. I just don't see any 5 start recruits coming to Tempe anytime soon...

I'm expecting 4 and 5 star recruits next season. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm expecting 4 and 5 star recruits next season. :)
Yeah the whole setting the bar low so three star recruits feel like a success is self-defeating. If the goal of the program was to continue to limp along with three star recruits why make any changes?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the whole setting the bar low so three star recruits feel like a success is self-defeating. If the goal of the program was to continue to limp along with three star recruits why make any changes?

These were my feelings but I'm giving Edwards a chance for the sake of @82CardsGrad.

Is it me or does Herm always seem angry?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Next year is the test of the Edwards experiment. He wasn't going to do much in 2 weeks, didn't hurt that ASU had less than 20 recruits and none above a 3-star ranking so the de-commits didn't hurt that much. I would expect Edwards to look at JC guys to add to this class unless they are done. Were their any 5-star kids on the west coast (CA, NV, CO, WA, OR) because it seemed like all the 5-star kids were in the East Coast & South so SEC and Big 10 had an advantage.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Clearly, that wasn't the goal... but seriously, did you really believe Herm could come in when he did and somehow snag 4 & 5 star recruits in this early-signing period??? Seriously??
Who knows, may by the Feb 7th signing period he may bring us a surprise or two... but even I'm not holding my breath!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Clearly, that wasn't the goal... but seriously, did you really believe Herm could come in when he did and somehow snag 4 & 5 star recruits in this early-signing period??? Seriously??
Who knows, may by the Feb 7th signing period he may bring us a surprise or two... but even I'm not holding my breath!
I wasn’t really expecting ANYTHING this signing period. I read your post as being pretty defeatist saying 3 Star is all asu has ever been able to get and not expecting any 5 Star. Maybe I read into it too much.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I wasn’t really expecting ANYTHING this signing period. I read your post as being pretty defeatist saying 3 Star is all asu has ever been able to get and not expecting any 5 Star. Maybe I read into it too much.

Not sure where this is going... but. When was ASU ever able to attract 5-Star recruits? Are you using this expectation - as out of the realm of reasonableness as it is - as a way to attack Anderson and the hiring of Herm?? :shrug:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure where this is going... but. When was ASU ever able to attract 5-Star recruits? Are you using this expectation - as out of the realm of reasonableness as it is - as a way to attack Anderson and the hiring of Herm?? :shrug:
I’m saying for years asu has pursued being a top tier program. If that’s the goal then expectations need be raised. If it’s just to recruit 3 stars why fire the guy who gets those and wins 7 games a year?

Asu is one of largest universities in the country, located in a metropolitan city, in a desirable climate, in a major conference the football program should be consistently better than it is.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I’m saying for years asu has pursued being a top tier program. If that’s the goal then expectations need be raised. If it’s just to recruit 3 stars why fire the guy who gets those and wins 7 games a year?

Anderson/Crow/Herm have made it crystal clear what their collective goals and aspirations are... and I'm quite sure you know that. You know what they've said. You know that their plan is clearly not to continue down the path that ASU has been on for decades now. Anderson said he expects ASU to be a consistent Top 10/Top 15 team in the country. So their is no "if that's the goal." They couldn't have been more clear that that IS the goal! And if you really think that little of Ray, Crow and Herm as to think that they're plan to achieve their clear goals is to recruit 3 stars, then honestly, I don't know how you've been a fan and why you claim to be a fan today...

Asu is one of largest universities in the country, located in a metropolitan city, in a desirable climate, in a major conference the football program should be consistently better than it is.

Now you sound just like Ray... how ironic! The reality of course, is that ASU has never had the athletic program and cache that could ever come close to programs such as Stanford, USC and UCLA. So yea, there are a TON of positive attributes about ASU, but as you clearly know, they have never - as in ever in their history, been able to compete with the gold standards within the Pac-12.
Does that mean it has to remain that way forever? Well, apparently Ray, Crow and Herm don't believe so. They believe they can ultimately get ASU into a much more consistently competitive situation with those schools than ever before.
But again - do you really believe that was going to happen this year?? Seriously???

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anderson/Crow/Herm have made it crystal clear what their collective goals and aspirations are... and I'm quite sure you know that. You know what they've said. You know that their plan is clearly not to continue down the path that ASU has been on for decades now. Anderson said he expects ASU to be a consistent Top 10/Top 15 team in the country. So their is no "if that's the goal." They couldn't have been more clear that that IS the goal! And if you really think that little of Ray, Crow and Herm as to think that they're plan to achieve their clear goals is to recruit 3 stars, then honestly, I don't know how you've been a fan and why you claim to be a fan today...

Now you sound just like Ray... how ironic! The reality of course, is that ASU has never had the athletic program and cache that could ever come close to programs such as Stanford, USC and UCLA. So yea, there are a TON of positive attributes about ASU, but as you clearly know, they have never - as in ever in their history, been able to compete with the gold standards within the Pac-12.
Does that mean it has to remain that way forever? Well, apparently Ray, Crow and Herm don't believe so. They believe they can ultimately get ASU into a much more consistently competitive situation with those schools than ever before.
But again - do you really believe that was going to happen this year?? Seriously???
Nah, you’re not following. Forget it.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

The knock on ASU was always its sub-par facilities...which now are some of the best in the country. Graham wasn't Anderson's guy, and I think Anderson wanted to put his stamp on the program, and at least attempt to get to that next echelon...which he knew Graham couldn't get to.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would say ASU can't recruit 5 star recruits, it wasn't that long ago we landed Vontaze Burfict. Just off the top of my head I know Terrell Suggs and Shante Carver were highly sought after when they got here. We had recruits like John Jefferson, Aaron Cox and Darryl Harris. We used to land top JUCOs like Delvon Flowers and Jalen Strong.

I get why we fired Dennis Erickson. No way a 60 some year old NFL retread, brings ASU back to recruiting greatness. Hey at least we landed Bobby Hurley.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
SDSU had the 14th best defense in the country, and Gonzales has a ton of experience coaching the secondary, which ASU desperately needs. Great hire on paper. Pierce coming in is also a good move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson