Who are the '2010-'11 SUNS going to be?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The summer free agency isn't over but i think it's safe to assume that we're not going to add anyone substantial in terms of high profile scorers that will demand the ball and get 20+ ppg.

(long)Bear with me my friends....:)

The offense will flow thru Nash and likely wind up in the hands of JRich,Barbosa,Duds and Frye on the perimeter treys....but where else will this team get their points when the shot's aren't falling?

I liked what i saw from Robin Lopez on the P&R at times. His health will be watched closely i'm sure(fingers crossed). I would actually focus my efforts on making Lopez a legit offensive threat inside....pick & pop,slip & roll from 15 ft.....similiar to a KJ/Chambers attack from years past. Lopez doesn't have near the range or athleticism that Tom(or Amare) did but we need SOMETHING inside.

Hakeem Warrick Is he going to play a role similiar to Marion in yrs past in terms of cleaning up the garbage inside & exciting the crowd with his acrobatic dunks? Warricks best offensive season found him getting 12 ppg on 52% shooting(26 min/gm). He obviously isn't a threat from outside the painted area but IMO he may provide some valuable offensive rebounding. He'll get opportunities in transition.

Channing Frye. (sigh) Can he get better? I rip on the guy because he's 6'10" one-dimensional and soft. I don't think players get "hard" after being soft for 4 NBA seasons....but i do think that Frye could become a better rebounder. If he starts next to Lopez i think the coaching staff will demand him to be a better rebounder.
Frye averaged 11.2 ppg and 5.3 rpg last season. We're gonna need at least 20 and 8 this season IMO in order to compete. Additional minutes should provide that but can he score off the dribble when he's getting run at?.....can he find the open man?.....can he create without dribble penetration? I don't think so. Fry's responsibility as a perimeter/inside/in the middle/everywhere scorer is ten-fold this season IMO.

This team is severely lacking inside, so let's talk about the other guys.

I would really like to see Nash look for his shot this season. Amare's gone,let's see some motion offense and just find the open man outside.
With Dragic in the game i'd like to see more plays run for Nash as a shooter. Nash will still be very good this season IMO...i look for him to be yet another step slower on defense.....which brings me to Mr Dragic.

It's time to give Dragic more responsibility as a leader and a playmaker IMO. This is still Nash's team but Nash is going to need some help with the loss of Amare. Goran will be a catalyst defensively for Gentry(that is a given) but it's time for Goran to step up and become a part of this teams offensive identity. Goran averaged 9ppg and 3apg last season in 18 minutes per....we're going to need ALOT more of all of the above. Points,assists,minutes etc...double figures scoring and 7 assists per.

JRich. Contract year,29 yrs old,put up 15.7ppg last season along with good rebounding numbers with 5 per and nearly 40% 3pt shooting. We're gonna need MORE POINTS ...and i think we'll get them. Aggressiveness is the key to his game IMO and although i think he'll always be anti-clutch he'll have a very good season scoring the basketball.

Jared Dudley. I love this dudes game....thats all. :)

Grant Hill will be back again(because Nash is still here)...Hill has been a tremendous PHX SUN...a great story....the man doesn't quit,he's a veteran presence,but we've got a former #1 pick that needs to play now. I hope that Earl Clark can get his size and defensive abilities into the starting lineup. Regardless, i dont think that we can count on Earl Clark to become an offensive threat this season. Maybe...but i'd settle for 18-20 mpg in Gentry's rotation and 10-12ppg at SF/PF. Give us some in-the-paint length,awareness & and defense.

Last but not least....my boy Leandro Barbosa. This team is going to have to make up for the loss of Amare Stoudemire's 23ppg and lethargic defense. Who better than the Brazilian Blur? :D

Who is this team and how are we going to attack on offense and defend the other guys?
Im out.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bump:

I'd really like to hear some objective takes on how ya'll feel the SUNS will compete this season(as the roster stands today).

:)

That't the quickest bump I've seen.:)

I really didn't know what to say because honestly, even though you make no predictions, it came across a lot more optimistic than I feel. I have visions of Nash coming up lame early in the season, Lopez beginning an 18 month rehab from a series of back surgeries and Hill waking up one December morning only to realize he's an old man.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is this team and how are we going to attack on offense and defend the other guys?
Im out.

I think if we are reasonably healthy that Gentry gets the guys to focus even more on defense. I expect to see us play a lot more like our second team did last year. If Lopez stays injury free and continues his development we really could become a solid defensive squad even with the obvious limitations of a few of our pieces.

On offense, I think we're going to find more ways to use Jason Richardson. Most of Robin's points will have to come from down low as I don't see him being effective in the pick and roll without Amare there to draw attention away from him. I can also see us using Nash as a shooting guard more often in order to keep Dragic on the court.

If everything comes together reasonably well I could see us winning 44 to 48 games and finishing in the 8th spot or just outside of the playoffs. If we are on the low side of that prediction come mid-season though I'd be surprised if we didn't move Richardson and maybe Barbs at that time.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need their two second round picks to contribute although it might compare to winning the lottery. Otherwise, where is the beef? The Suns need someone to bang and rebound underneath the basket.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
20 and 8 from Frye is a complete pipe dream. Those are Stoudemire numbers, and he's considered one of the league's premiere big men.

The Suns will have no inside game at all, so they'll have to make it work with motion and dribble penetration. We'll see what kind of creator Richardson is when he has more responsibility.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
With the current roster is there anybody now on the team that will help keep the defense honest? Without Amare that inside presence isn't there.

Frye, Dudley, and Barbosa all rely on having high percentage shots because of defense collapsing.

We've seen it happen a bit in the POs with Dragic and Barbosa basically dribbling until they could muster up a shot because the offense would stall as the floor can't be spaced to help the offense.

Fortunately though the Jazz are taking a step back. Unfortunately the Rockets will be taking a step forward.

I'm not so sure the Suns can be a 50 win team. They will miss the POs.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That't the quickest bump I've seen.:)
Nice....i've got a busy weekend planned LOL.

I think if we are reasonably healthy that Gentry gets the guys to focus even more on defense. I expect to see us play a lot more like our second team did last year. If Lopez stays injury free and continues his development we really could become a solid defensive squad even with the obvious limitations of a few of our pieces.

On offense, I think we're going to find more ways to use Jason Richardson. Most of Robin's points will have to come from down low as I don't see him being effective in the pick and roll without Amare there to draw attention away from him. I can also see us using Nash as a shooting guard more often in order to keep Dragic on the court.

If everything comes together reasonably well I could see us winning 44 to 48 games and finishing in the 8th spot or just outside of the playoffs. If we are on the low side of that prediction come mid-season though I'd be surprised if we didn't move Richardson and maybe Barbs at that time.

Steve
Positive spin is simply me trying to disregard the back-to-the-basket offense that Amare brought to us facing the basket ;).
I agree with you in terms of making JRich a major focal point offensively. The dude can score from anywhere on the court,has he ever been option #1 in his career before? I don't think so.

I'm not sure how Gentry can try to further endow this team defensively though....unless Clark can give him options offensively from out of the blue. Help defense is going to be vital (again)....maybe year two and a half under Gentry brings more of that.

There's been alot of chatter about Lopez and how he recovers from his back injury. His health is VITAL. Otherwise this team becomes the Golden State Warriors(yuck).

I've been a proponent of finding Nash a new shiny home north of the border for 2 yrs but i think you're selling him short in terms of him putting together another all-star type season. I think he holds up with an emerging Dragic.

Earl Clark's development and Lopez's health are the X-factor's going into this season IMO....the difference between sucking wind to 35 wins or finding a low seed playoff spot.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver needs to sign a quality GM ASAP. Losing Kerr and not having a gm during this free agency did us no good.

IMO this is no longer a playoff team. Amare carried the team the 2nd half of the season. I just don't see anyone making up for his scoring.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only JRich had a little more height he would make a tremendous PF. He can really muscle inside. He is a physical specimen.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
20 and 8 from Frye is a complete pipe dream. Those are Stoudemire numbers, and he's considered one of the league's premiere big men.

The Suns will have no inside game at all, so they'll have to make it work with motion and dribble penetration. We'll see what kind of creator Richardson is when he has more responsibility.
I hear what you're saying, but all i can come up with is that if you look at the last time the SUNS went into a season without a legit big('05-'06 without Amare) that they(D'Antoni) found a way to get Tim Thomas shots.
Frye could be that guy if Gentry shifts the offense back to more uptempo run off opponents missed shots etc...back to SSOL so to speak,with Gentry's blueprint help D.

It depends on what Gentry is going to do offensively....i think he has to change it up....reverting to the speed and aggressiveness of years past(yuck). Like you said, this team can't man up in the frontcourt,so you've got to find a way to get Frye ALOT of shots...in transition..um you know....so we can win some games. :D

Playoffs?! Playoffs?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If only JRich had a little more height he would make a tremendous PF. He can really muscle inside. He is a physical specimen.

Ha, there is no doubt our 6'6 SG is our best post player by a wide margin. Frye couldn't even take advantage of Tony Parker in the post.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but all i can come up with is that if you look at the last time the SUNS went into a season without a legit big('05-'06 without Amare) that they(D'Antoni) found a way to get Tim Thomas shots.

Finding a way to get Tim Thomas shots is not a challenge. He's never had any difficulty generating scoring opportunities.

Thomas is a drastically better player than Frye and he never averaged 15 ppg in a season.

Frye could be that guy if Gentry shifts the offense back to more uptempo run off opponents missed shots etc...back to SSOL so to speak,with Gentry's blueprint help D.

Frye doesn't run the floor well enough to spot up in SSOL, and even if he did, that wouldn't get him to 20 ppg. Quentin Richardson led the league in three-point makes in 2004-05, and averaged only 15 ppg.

Like you said, this team can't man up in the frontcourt,so you've got to find a way to get Frye ALOT of shots...in transition..um you know....so we can win some games.

Frye's role on offense will have to expand, but 20 ppg is out of reach, that's all. Even 15 is a pretty major stretch.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It depends on what Gentry is going to do offensively....i think he has to change it up....reverting to the speed and aggressiveness of years past(yuck). Like you said, this team can't man up in the frontcourt,so you've got to find a way to get Frye ALOT of shots...in transition..um you know....so we can win some games. :D

Playoffs?! Playoffs?

How i wish, i can be as optimistic as you.
The West wasn't as strong in 2005-06 and the Nash of today is certainly not the same as that era.
It is really hard to predict how this team will turn out.
We may be pleasantly surprised if Earl stepped up and start playing like he should.
I would be ecstatic if Lopez can finish better/stronger, Dragic's passing and shots improve and our rookies are able to contribute.
I pray that Frye wont become Doris after scoring a big contract.
If they start well, i see chemistry and confidence improving. If not, doubts may just start to set in.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finding a way to get Tim Thomas shots is not a challenge. He's never had any difficulty generating scoring opportunities.
Point taken. However I don't think it's difficult to get anybody lottsa shots in SSOL....unless you're Jalen Rose.

Thomas is a drastically better player than Frye and he never averaged 15 ppg in a season.
Can't argue with that, but TT shared the court with nothing but offensive players.

Frye doesn't run the floor well enough to spot up in SSOL, and even if he did, that wouldn't get him to 20 ppg. Quentin Richardson led the league in three-point makes in 2004-05, and averaged only 15 ppg.
I disagree that Frye can't run the floor well enough to get open.
I agree that 20ppg is a stretch E....but i do think that Gentry will try to get the $30 million dollar softie a ton of shot attempts.

Frye's role on offense will have to expand, but 20 ppg is out of reach, that's all. Even 15 is a pretty major stretch.
If Frye can't get this team 15ppg then this might be the worst FA signing in SUNS history.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
SSOL is dead, and has been for several years. Lopez and Frye guarantee that.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SSOL is dead, and has been for several years. Lopez and Frye guarantee that.
You must be registered for see images
...and may the Gods of basketball common sense continue to smile upon us....:)

However,with the absence of Amare,the offense will need to be adjusted and ultimately altered.
I don't know how one can argue this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a proponent of finding Nash a new shiny home north of the border for 2 yrs but i think you're selling him short in terms of him putting together another all-star type season.

I certainly think it's possible that Nash will equal or better his performance of this year but I don't think it's a long shot to go the other way either. I thought he was tremendous to start the season but I thought he was frequently horrible during the second half. Most of his injury issues point to a player wearing down as opposed to the freak accident kind of thing.

Steve

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I'd like to see the rest of the summer unfold before delving into the Suns roster and it's potential.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
We are waisting out time speculating about this season. There are just too many unknowns.

Lopez - If he is healthy and continues to improve, he could be a big contributor, but it's too early to know. Big year and the Suns are a playoff team, but with a bad year and we can start discussing lottery players.

Frye - We as used as a diversion last season and not a "go to" guy. He can shoot and is not likely to be any worse than KT on the pick and roll. He showed some progress in the playoffs on defense and rebounding. IMHO he could surprise us and reallly benefit playing with Lopez rather than Amare. Still, he is a huge unknown.

Richardson - I don't think he protects the ball well enough when he goes to the basket but I'm certain his shooting will become even more important this year. He's not awful on defense, but not great either. BTW, J-Rich led the Warriors in scoring from 2003 to 2006.

Hill - Grant is the Suns best on the ball defender and a decent shooter. IMHO, he can score more if more plays are run for him, but it is very important that Dudley is available because I don't think Hill has the endurence to play huge minutes.

Nash - In 2008-09, Steve scored 1060 points on 50.3% shooting and 43.9% for three. In 2005-06, Steve averaged 18.8 pprg. The risk is that he could wear down with two many minuges.

BACKUPS

Dragic - I don't know how consistent he can be, but he has moments when he shows why the Suns were so exited to be able draft him. When comparing him to Nash, it is clear he's not the same kind of interior passer and outside shooter, but he's a much better defender and is quick enough to get to the basket. I can see him playing with Nash at times and overall is potentially a big part of the Suns future.

Barbosa - I'm not sure the Suns are willing to give up on Leadro dispite a poor year due to his wrist injury. He may get traded, but I don't think they are willing to just give him away. I haven't heard the same kind of criticism of his defense as in days past and he was part of a backup team known for their defense.

Dudley - He's not quick, nor tall, nor have great hops; but Dudley is a very good "results" player who can defende and shoot three's. If you can measure "basketball smarts", he's way up there.'

Warrick - He is very quick with great hops, but is not much of an outside shooter. He's not that physical abut a great shot blocker.

OTHERS

Clark - Earl is a total mystery. He has a reputation as a very good defender, but is not physical and is unproven on the offensive end. Word is that they hape to get him into the rotation, but it's not clear where.

Jones - Dwayne is an E-League guy who only joine the team late when injuries piled u. He is reputed to be strong.

ROOKIES

Lawal - He is a classic sleeper in that he played with a lottery player on a team with poor guard play. He is projected as a possible replacement for Amundson.

Collins - He projects as a small center. IMHO he is most likely to end up in D-League but may be even more of a sleeper than Lawal.

Reynolds - I think his NBA future is based mostly on how well he shoots the three.

Right now I suspect the Suns will wait to make any other deals until training camp; but there may a super bargain if some of the free agents remain unsigned.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's keep Clark in the D-league until he toughens up... probably never. He is a very poor man's Horry at best. I just do not like him settling for the outside shot. So far, what a waste of talent.