Who’s fault?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With all the talk of collins moving outside led me to ponder how players are miscast into positions not in line with their skill set in the first place.

back in the day I distinctly remember two players, Rolle and Davis.

Rolle had all the makings of an all pro safety but started his career as a CB. David started his career as a LT but was clearly a guard who would become an all pro at that position. Neither of these players played those positions for the Cardinals, why?

In the both cases their agents wanted their clients in positions paying the most money to the detriment of the team. The coaches at the time knew their best positions for success but let the players dictate outcome.

with a more recent example being REDDICK it seems it was the coaching staff

josh jones has the talent a for LT but yet we waste him as guard or trying to make a RT out of him

collins is clearly an outside linebacker squeezed into the middle and simmons displays strong safety skills

so who’s fault is this miscasting and will it be corrected with the new staff?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Us for following this team and being loyal

We are all sick in some way to put ourselves through this year in and year out :mrgreen:

But yet here we are

Everyday and multiple times
Not to mention I cursed my whole family with this team. And I thought I was a good husband and Dad... :biglaugh:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Rolle played CB and wasnt terrible at it -- but as the #8 pick and the salary attached to it in those days, you want a shut down corner and he wasnt one.

Similar situation to Davis -- played LT in college and as the #2 pick and the giant contract attached to it: the team wanted him to be a LT.

FWIW: it was Denny Green who put both those players at positions they werent suited for.

so: blame Denny

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With all the talk of collins moving outside led me to ponder how players are miscast into positions not in line with their skill set in the first place.

Rolle had all the makings of an all pro safety but started his career as a CB. David started his career as a LT but was clearly a guard who would become an all pro at that position. Neither of these players played those positions for the Cardinals, why?

In the both cases their agents wanted their clients in positions paying the most money to the detriment of the team. The coaches at the time knew their best positions for success but let the players dictate outcome.

josh jones has the talent a for LT but yet we waste him as guard or trying to make a RT out of him

collins is clearly an outside linebacker squeezed into the middle and simmons displays strong safety skills

Is he?

We don't know that, but we can hope he fills this need.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score

They speak to that about Collins here!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Antrel Rolle was a press man CB coming out and was good at it. The problem was the Cards played him mostly as an off man CB. Why the Cards didn’t play to his strengths instead of his weaknesses I can only believe that the coaches were incompetent.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And superstar college safety Deone Bucannon came here and they turned him into the tiniest inside linebacker in the NFL.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair some of us(pats self on back) said about Rolle when we drafted him he's not an NFL CB he's a S. The book on Rolle in college is he was VERY handsy, very grabby, and in college he got away with it and was strong enough he could control college receivers. In the NFL they just didn't allow it.

I remember in camp and preseason his rookie year reading the reviews that said that over and over, Rolle needs to learn to keep his hands off receivers or he's going to get a ton of penalties. He was a terrific safety, he was a ball hawk so even at CB he had several great plays a year, often pick sixes or fumble recovery sixes, but he wasn't particularly great in coverage.

As others said when you pick that high, they're going to try and play you at CB.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave