Where is the Cards’ Draft Headed

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
They’ve made it clear the O-line Murray never had will be built. Taking a center is a lock. However, I like Schmitz, but there are other quality options. Several evaluators preferred Tippman who is nearly as good now with perhaps a bigger upside. Wypler is a little raw, but the Cards like him and again he brings perhaps the biggest upside. This is the deepest center class in many years. Stromberg, Scruggs and Oluwatimi all project to be first year starters at some point. Schmitz likely will be best at directing blocking and picking up stunts & blitzes. Tippmann has unreal power and understands leverage. All this means is while the Cards will take a center, they may not do so with their next pick. It all depends who else is available, especially at 34.
Totally agree Harry.

More options are available later in like you said in Stromberg, Juice & Oluwatimi and the interior Dline is less stacked.

Guys I really like in rd 2:
1) O’Cyrus Torrence
2) Keanu Benton
3) Cam Smith
4) Keon White
5) Cam Smith
(Guys I like)

The dilemma is do you take the much needed best OG in the draft? or the likely the next best interior Dlineman left who could be an immediate plug & play guy? Or someone else?

If I was picking it would be between O’Cyrus & Benton whom I both luv. Could the Stealers wreck the dream of O’Cyrus like they crushed my Super Bowl dreams? Lol

Btw I still say Whypler is the reincarnation of AQ Shipley lol

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fascinating thing is we could almost likely get Will Levis tomorrow if we wanted to. I wouldn't do it, but if the new staff wanted to protect themself at QB they could get him.

Crazy this morning I read a projection he was going to go #1 overall, and he didn't get picked in the entire first round.

But I want more OL and some defense tomorrow.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The fascinating thing is we could almost likely get Will Levis tomorrow if we wanted to. I wouldn't do it, but if the new staff wanted to protect themself at QB they could get him.

Crazy this morning I read a projection he was going to go #1 overall, and he didn't get picked in the entire first round.

But I want more OL and some defense tomorrow.
Russ He’s always hurt plus he’s not that good

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
with the depth at center could we trade down a little if someone in the top third of the second round wants to trade up for levis?
I was just thinking that. I was looking over the best available list and saw a lot of guys I like. And the gap from 33 to 81 is huge.

Thinking Levis, trade with TEN 33 for 41 and 72 makes a lot of sense. Maybe you need to throw in 95 to make that work, but I like that early 70s range in case someone we really like falls further than we think they will. Maybe guys they had contemplated being there at 66.

Bears have 53, 61 and 64. Two of those for 33 might be equal value (not sure).

I do see trade options available.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
with the depth at center could we trade down a little if someone in the top third of the second round wants to trade up for levis?
I'd consider another trade down. There is depth at center.

Schmitz is a popular name, but a guy I have pushed in the past is Tippmann.

He's a better athlete than Schmitz. Taller center with real good athletic tools and understands leverage. His hole in his game is hand placement. He gives up his chest way too much and will sometimes lose a rep because of it. Definitely correctable.

Keeanu Benton is another player to consider. This DL class is weak so you have to consider taking him in round two. Big guy with a good motor. Good run stopper with pass rush upside.

Also...the Cardinals absolutely have to consider Porter if he is available. Too good to pass up here. I don't think corner is as dire as most on this board, but Porter should be a high end #2 corner.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think we need a starting CB over taking a C in R2. But I won't be disappointed in either of the top 2 C's at 33. I just think CB drop off is greater.

We were just 3 or 4 picks away from grabbing Nolan Smith or Bresee. Seems to me there is a big difference between those few who went at end of R1 and the ones that are left for R2. I would have rather we used a pick to hop into the end of R1 than when we used the one to move up to 6. We could have move up to say 9 or 10 for not so high a pick as 34. Maybe 2 of our 3's would have accomplished the same at 9 or 10, rather than going all the way to 6. Some of you I know disagree with me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think we need a starting CB over taking a C in R2. But I won't be disappointed in either of the top 2 C's at 33. I just think CB drop off is greater.

We were just 3 or 4 picks away from grabbing Nolan Smith or Bresee. Seems to me there is a big difference between those few who went at end of R1 and the ones that are left for R2. I would have rather we used a pick to hop into the end of R1 than when we used the one to move up to 6. We could have move up to say 9 or 10 for not so high a pick as 34. Maybe 2 of our 3's would have accomplished the same at 9 or 10, rather than going all the way to 6. Some of you I know disagree with me.
I was hoping Bresee fell. He has the chance to be pretty good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ He’s always hurt plus he’s not that good

Yeah I'm not that high on him I'm just saying if they had any doubts about Kyler, they can get Levis tomorrow. I'd rather continue to build the OL and get some defensive help too.

AS someone already said maybe we can trade down to someone that wants Levis and get even more picks

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the amount of time that Kyler spends injured, Levis might be the wise pick.

To keep.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I say the optimal move is to trade out of our spot to someone who wants Levis/Hooker, to get another 2nd (and honestly, maybe another 2024 first. That'd be wild).

I'd have no problem taking Joey Porter Jr. or a C though. Honestly, I wish we had kept the consecutive picks. I'd be thrilled right now.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Something tells me no one wants to trade up for Levis. I am perfectly fine taking the top center in the draft, I'm tired of settling for the "depth".

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'd be okay with porter, but i think he goes the pick before us. ideally i'd like to trade back just a bit (gimme a 3rd) and still take schmitz. if i have to take schmitz at 33, so be it. there might be more talented players available, but i'm thinking about what the totality of getting your LT and C for a decade means to a team. God please them both hit.